What to do with a broken nail

John S

What to do with a broken nail

Post by John S » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:10 pm

Our 1 yo Britt has a broken nail. It got into the quick because it had been bleeding but the bleeding has stopped. The broke portion of the nail is still attached but I am unsure whether to cut it free, let it go or bandage it in any way.

I am going to do a search for info but wanted to start here first.

JIM K

Re: What to do with a broken nail

Post by JIM K » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:18 pm

if you can cut it free, do it without getting bit. i use muzzle on my dog before.
it will take a longtime for new nail to grow over quick.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:46 pm

Agree. If you can cut it off its better. If not, it could tear even further up. But it hurts and they will NOT want you messing with it. Get help and a secure hold. A vet can give lidocaine inj. And do it pretty quick and painless except for the wallet pain. Also try to keep the dog calm for the rest of the night as bleeding will start up again with running and jumping.

John S

Post by John S » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:56 pm

Thanks Guys, I've been reading through a bunch of posts and was deciding that I would bring him to the vet tomorrow. But I just checked him again and the piece if nail that was hanging has broken off. Unfortunately I do not have anything to wrap it with tonight, but tomorrow I'll pick up some supplies. He is not favoring that paw at all and seems like nothing is bothering him at all.
Should I consider a trip to gander and pick up some of those booties they sell?
Lastly, I'm guessing I should not take him out hunting until this heals up, Correct?

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:58 pm

Buy some Quick Stop for the 1st aid kid for future use and if you ever have a dog in pain that you fear will bite, throw a blanket over it's head.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:24 pm

I wouldn't take him out until you're pretty sure it won't be bleeding from him running. I would invest in some quick stop powder though. I've found that if the nails get to be too long is when they are more likely to break.