First Aid Kits

jwnissen

First Aid Kits

Post by jwnissen » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:01 am

So there I was...out running my shorthair, just busted a cuvy of wild quail when I heard the awful sound of glass shattering!! I called her back and she was bleeding profusely from her front pad. So I took off my shirt, cut it up into pieces and attempted to bandage her foot so I could get her back to my truck and home to asses her injuries. By the way, this was the start of my thanksgiving day and as you probabally guessed a 1 year old shorthair is not easy to bandage. I sure am glad I have black interior in my truck, cause there was blood everywhere! A vet visit and a few stitches later got me thinking about first aid kits. I know there was a post about first aid a few months ago, but I thought I would ask what most of you carry in the field. I was an EMT so I know first aid for people, I just dont know a lot about what products are available for dogs. Is there a specific kit you purchase and carry or do you put a few of your own things together? If you make your own kit, what do you carry? Is there any books that are good to read? Any and all suggestions and comments are welcome. She didnt cut her pads, but sliced half of the webbing between her pads and somehow managed not to do any damage that the vet can tell.

Thanks

Gertie

Re: First Aid Kits

Post by Gertie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:25 am

Sorry about your dog and the hectic beginning to your holiday. Glad it turned out alright though, all except the cut pad of course. I carry a first aid kit I built myself using "A Field Guide - Dog First Aid: Emergency Care For Hunting, Working, and Outdoor Dogs" by Randy Acker DMV. Inside is a recommended list of things to carry. I keep a big one in the car with everything from vet wrap, Neosporin, Rimadyl, and Pedialite to non-stick pads, a wool blanket, a staple gun, saline, and an irrigation syringe (plus a bunch of other stuff). In my pack I carry duct tape, wire cutters, blood stop, vet wrap, benadryl, parachute cord, and honey. Call me paranoid but I'm a "have and not need is better than to need and not have" kinda person when it comes to emergencies. At the very least, I'd check out the book. It's got a ton of really good information in it.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:20 pm

Thank you for the info. Gives me a pretty good idea of what i need in my kit. It really sucks when you need one and havent really thought about putting one together.

John

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:21 pm

jwnissen wrote:Thank you for the info. Gives me a pretty good idea of what i need in my kit. It really sucks when you need one and havent really thought about putting one together.

John
That it does, I was hunting in the middle of nowhere this past weekend when my dog got a few deep cuts from barbed wire. There is absolutely nothing that will stop my lab from making a pheasant retrieve, including getting hung up on a fence for a few seconds. I am ordering a kit today, I knew I should have at the start of the season but just never did..

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:32 pm

I carry the basic camo first aid kit you see on the dog sites, but added some EMT gel to it. I figure the majority of things can be taken care of with basic bandages and eye wash. Not sure how to carry out the dog with all the equipment.

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:59 pm

People always forget one of the most important things in a kit which is hydrogen peroxide. It is one of things we can give to a dog when we want to make them vomit, such as if they found and ate rat poison, etc. Just remember things that burn going down(most cleaners) and oils you don't want to induce vomiting after they ingested them, but many others things you do, such as decon, medicines, antifreeze, etc. Window is 2 hours or so after ingestion as to making a difference this way.

Don't be shy using it, typically 3-4 tbls every few minutes until it comes up. Table salt will also work by pouring it onto the back of their tongue. A good pile of it.