Purina pro plan performance

Will

Re: Purina pro plan performance

Post by Will » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:41 pm

Angus wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:The ingredient list looks very much like many feeds on the market and the guarantees are the same as many feeds that are available. Looks like a decent feed but nothing unique. I have little use for rice and have found that corn is a much better product if you need to condition a working dog. And the by-products do provide more than a straight meat meal. Every feed that includes Beet Pulp have very little in the feed as it is used strictly for the health of the intestines and not really as a source of protein or carbs. It just happens to be one of very few cellulose based products that dogs can actually digest. The flax seed is the source of the omega fatty acids but again very little is used as you can see from where it is placed on the list. The omegas are listed strictly because of current interest in promoting healthy joints and not because of helping digestion in every feed. For a matter of fact, I don't see anything with bone in it listed as an ingredient. I think Slistoe was pulling your chain a little and you came up with an answer that sounds like it came off of the talking points of their marketing program instead of answering his comment.

It would be much more informative to tell everyone what the feed is instead of asking people to PM you to find out. That does make it sound like you are promoting this single feed instead of trying to inform the members of the board. That always bothers when our whole purpose is to be an information source to newcomers to our group of dog lovers, hunters,and trialers.

Glad you found a feed that works for you.

Ezzy
Hey you're right. it does look like a normal dog food and pretty close to what a dog kibble should look like. Now compare those ingredients to the PPP in question.

Purina is a feed suplier that runs Feed Mills. Feed Mills are places for farmers to drop off their grain. Add a couple mills, fat tanks, and cookers and they think that they can make dog food right along with the horse feed. :lol:

Pro Pac High Performance is cheaper than PPP and is full of meat protein and whole grain corn for the binder. PPP is full of every part of the corn kernel from another manufacturers waste, but do not use Whole grain corn.

Again I am not saying that PPP doesn't work fine, it's just not all it's cracked up to be.

Heck Ezzy, even with Diamonds issues you gotta admit that they at least use meat as the main source of protein. Same with Loyall, which is a pretty good food imo.
I believe you'll be corrected on this. The PPP is a Nestle company (I think this was stated earlier in this thread). Nestle as in Nestle Quick and other people food. The Purina Mills you're thinking of is in fact a grain milling company. They make all of the livestock feeds like "goat chow", etc. and they also have a pretty darn good dog food with their PMI Exclusive.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:53 pm

Holy Murphy you guys. The dog food is somehow inferior if it comes from a place where a farmer drops off grain? Good Grief!!! I know farmers who drop off some grain on the hopper of a flour mill - am I going to have to avoid eating any bread that may be coming from that flour mill?
Last edited by slistoe on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:58 pm

slistoe wrote:So, have you found the feeding trials that outline the negative effects of feeding bone to your dog?
Yes, I have. Please provide me a mailing address so I can send it to you.
Maybe if you read the literature yourself, you'll get it through your thick head!

May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

Angus

Post by Angus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:09 pm

slistoe wrote:Holy Murphy you guys. The dog food is somehow inferior if it comes from a place where a farmer drops off grain? Good Grief!!! I know farmers who drop off some grain on the hopper of a flour mill - am I going to have to avoid eating any bread that may be coming from that flour mill?

Yeah cause that was what was said. :roll:

Angus

Post by Angus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:16 pm

Will wrote:
Angus wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:The ingredient list looks very much like many feeds on the market and the guarantees are the same as many feeds that are available. Looks like a decent feed but nothing unique. I have little use for rice and have found that corn is a much better product if you need to condition a working dog. And the by-products do provide more than a straight meat meal. Every feed that includes Beet Pulp have very little in the feed as it is used strictly for the health of the intestines and not really as a source of protein or carbs. It just happens to be one of very few cellulose based products that dogs can actually digest. The flax seed is the source of the omega fatty acids but again very little is used as you can see from where it is placed on the list. The omegas are listed strictly because of current interest in promoting healthy joints and not because of helping digestion in every feed. For a matter of fact, I don't see anything with bone in it listed as an ingredient. I think Slistoe was pulling your chain a little and you came up with an answer that sounds like it came off of the talking points of their marketing program instead of answering his comment.

It would be much more informative to tell everyone what the feed is instead of asking people to PM you to find out. That does make it sound like you are promoting this single feed instead of trying to inform the members of the board. That always bothers when our whole purpose is to be an information source to newcomers to our group of dog lovers, hunters,and trialers.

Glad you found a feed that works for you.

Ezzy
Hey you're right. it does look like a normal dog food and pretty close to what a dog kibble should look like. Now compare those ingredients to the PPP in question.

Purina is a feed suplier that runs Feed Mills. Feed Mills are places for farmers to drop off their grain. Add a couple mills, fat tanks, and cookers and they think that they can make dog food right along with the horse feed. :lol:

Pro Pac High Performance is cheaper than PPP and is full of meat protein and whole grain corn for the binder. PPP is full of every part of the corn kernel from another manufacturers waste, but do not use Whole grain corn.

Again I am not saying that PPP doesn't work fine, it's just not all it's cracked up to be.

Heck Ezzy, even with Diamonds issues you gotta admit that they at least use meat as the main source of protein. Same with Loyall, which is a pretty good food imo.
I believe you'll be corrected on this. The PPP is a Nestle company (I think this was stated earlier in this thread). Nestle as in Nestle Quick and other people food. The Purina Mills you're thinking of is in fact a grain milling company. They make all of the livestock feeds like "goat chow", etc. and they also have a pretty darn good dog food with their PMI Exclusive.
You may be right, but i'm pretty sure Purina is Purina. Parent company may be Nestle, but Purina Mills Is Purina as far as I know.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Guys, there is so much wrong in what you are posting. Angus, Purina Mills has nothing to do with dogfood. Feed Mills are not a place where farmers drop off their products. Both feeds you mentioned are primarily meat protein and both are good feeds. And yes, Diamond does make a good feed and from what I have heard Nutrena does also. For a matter of fact most feeds on the market today are good feeds.

Greydaug, you have enlightened us all. You have told us most dog food companies are either intentionally making feed that is indigestible or their nutritionist just don't know what they are doing. Both scenaros seem supicious to me at least and from what I am reading it seems that way for many experienced dog owners. Plus your attitude is doing little to endear you to anyone. I have no idea why you think Omega 3 or 6 has anymore to do with digestion than any other fatty acid other than some sort of a misunderstanding from those 3 seminars you attended. Dogs since the beginning of time have eaten bones and digested them as that is where they got much of their calcium and phosphorus. This was long before we ever heard of Omega 3 or 6.

And maybe, just maybe you might step back and see just how many people feed the feeds you are calling indigestible and how well their dogs perform in every venue of dog activity. Many of these people have been involved for many more years than you, and know from experience what works. Most probably haven't bothered going to seminars on dog food as it would be a waste of time if they are just keeping a couple of dogs as a hobby. But most importantly they have been successful.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:25 pm

Well said.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Angus

Post by Angus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:38 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Guys, there is so much wrong in what you are posting. Angus, Purina Mills has nothing to do with dogfood. Feed Mills are not a place where farmers drop off their products. Both feeds you mentioned are primarily meat protein and both are good feeds. And yes, Diamond does make a good feed and from what I have heard Nutrena does also. For a matter of fact most feeds on the market today are good feeds.

Ezzy
Purina Mills and Purina are one in the same are they not? I may not be up to date on a restructure, but when I worked there back in the late 90's they made dog food and goat feed on neighboring elevators.

Feed mills are where farmers drop grain around these parts. At least that's where our grain goes and what I've seen over the years when I worked as a millwright. Purina usually gets it in on train cars. IIRC, farmers deliver to AgCom and Purina would purchase bulk train cars from AgCom. AgCom is considered a Feed Mill along with Wayne Feeds. Wengers, Bowmans, etc.

This is hardly the point I was trying to make.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:22 pm

Angus wrote: Pro Pac High Performance is cheaper than PPP and is full of meat protein and whole grain corn for the binder. PPP is full of every part of the corn kernel from another manufacturers waste, but do not use Whole grain corn.

Did you ever consider the possibility that the nutritionists at Purina, on the backing of the extensive feeding research and testing they have done over the years, have determined that by adding the corn in its component parts they can more accurately compose a feed which addresses the specific nutritional requirements of dogs than just taking what you get with the whole kernel?
Last edited by slistoe on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:26 pm

GrayDawg wrote:
slistoe wrote:So, have you found the feeding trials that outline the negative effects of feeding bone to your dog?
Yes, I have. Please provide me a mailing address so I can send it to you.
Maybe if you read the literature yourself, you'll get it through your thick head!
:( Given the context of these posts I thought the least I deserved was that you could call me a bonehead. Try harder next time.

No need to spend money on postage, just look in the reference materials listed at the end of your material and send the info on the journal - name of study, author, journal name, issue #, that it was published in and I can get the copy.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:31 pm

GrayDawg - have you any thoughts on the question regarding you choosing to feed a kibble that is plant based rather than one which is animal based?

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:09 am

slistoe wrote:GrayDawg - have you any thoughts on the question regarding you choosing to feed a kibble that is plant based rather than one which is animal based?
Not plant based. Chicken based. Do you even know what brand of feed I give my dogs?
If not, then how would you know what percentage of each ingredient make up the feed
I give my dogs? Answer- you wouldn't.

So to claim that the feed I provide my dogs is "plant based" without knowing exactly what percentage
of the food is actually plant
- is jumping the gun in my book. The top two ingredients in the feed I provide
my dogs is chicken meal & chicken fat, after that the percentages of the last 6 ingredients I listed drop off
precipitously
. Get over it.

Rob

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:12 pm

Since I have not been posting much, it appears threads like this "have gone to the dawgs!" :lol: :lol:
big steve

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:27 pm

big steve46 wrote:Since I have not been posting much, it appears threads like this "have gone to the dawgs!" :lol: :lol:
You need to issue an executive order, starting with Purina Mills makes PMI (Purina Mills, Inc., duh), Exclusive and Red Flannel, among other foods and Nestle Purina makes the Dog Chow series, ONE, and Pro Plan. The two companies are not related.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

edb

Post by edb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:32 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
big steve46 wrote:Since I have not been posting much, it appears threads like this "have gone to the dawgs!" :lol: :lol:
You need to issue an executive order, starting with Purina Mills makes PMI (Purina Mills, Inc., duh), Exclusive and Red Flannel, among other foods and Nestle Purina makes the Dog Chow series, ONE, and Pro Plan. The two companies are not related.
Winner!!!

Seriously how many times do we have to discuss this.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:49 pm

edb wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:
Winner!!!

Seriously how many times do we have to discuss this.
42 ;)
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Purina pro plan performance

Post by ACooper » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:22 pm

Ah come on what fun would it be if we all agreed? I usually feed PPP, 4 health is cheaper thought I would give it a try, dogs don't seem to mind.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:27 pm

GrayDawg wrote:
slistoe wrote:GrayDawg - have you any thoughts on the question regarding you choosing to feed a kibble that is plant based rather than one which is animal based?
Not plant based. Chicken based. Do you even know what brand of feed I give my dogs?
If not, then how would you know what percentage of each ingredient make up the feed

So to claim that the feed I provide my dogs is "plant based" without knowing exactly what percentage
my dogs is chicken meal & chicken fat, after that the percentages of the last 6 ingredients I listed drop off
precipitously
. Get over it.

Rob
I am going to say it was probably from the post listed below:
GrayDawg wrote:What if you could buy a dog feed that breaks down as follows:

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Protein (min) ................................................................... 30.0%
Fat (min) ........................................................................ 20.0%
Crude Fiber (max) ............................................................. 3.50%
Moisture (max) ................................................................ 10.00%
Omega-6 Fatty Acids (min) ................................................... 3.50%
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min) ................................................... 0.45%

CALORIE COUNT:

4409 kcal ME / kg
(2000 kcal ME / lb)
(calculated)

Top 8 ingredients (by percentage & in order) as follows:
- Chicken Meal
- Chicken Fat (Stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols)
- Ground Rice
- Ground Oats
- Ground Barley
- Beet Pulp

- Fish Meal
- Ground Flaxseeds

Keep in mind, this food will cost you roughly $1/lb. and you can purchase it from any merchant
who is part of the "Do it Best" network (I used to get it through a local hardware store!) or from any
Blue Seal distributor.

Would you try it? PM if you want the name of the feed. I don't want to be accused of "pushing" my feed
here on this thread.

Rob
I as others would assume these are the percentages that you are feeding. In the 8 ingredients i believe five are not animal related. Just an observation. you posted it.

Joe

edb

Post by edb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:33 pm

If people spent as much time roading their dogs or hunting multiple days as they do trying to convince others what to feed they would find out real quick what feeds help their dogs perform to their potential.

My experience

Native - good performance, bad stool
Nutrisource - okay performance, good stool
Proplan - excellent performance, good stool
Eukanuba - same as proplan
Enhance - okay performance, terrible stool

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:41 pm

jcbuttry8 wrote:
GrayDawg wrote:

precipitously
. Get over it.

Rob
I am going to say it was probably from the post listed below:
GrayDawg wrote:What if you could buy a dog feed that breaks down as follows:

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Protein (min) ................................................................... 30.0%
Fat (min) ........................................................................ 20.0%
Crude Fiber (max) ............................................................. 3.50%
Moisture (max) ................................................................ 10.00%
Omega-6 Fatty Acids (min) ................................................... 3.50%
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min) ................................................... 0.45%

CALORIE COUNT:

4409 kcal ME / kg
(2000 kcal ME / lb)
(calculated)

Top 8 ingredients (by percentage & in order) as follows:
- Chicken Meal
- Chicken Fat (Stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols)
- Ground Rice
- Ground Oats
- Ground Barley
- Beet Pulp

- Fish Meal
- Ground Flaxseeds

Keep in mind, this food will cost you roughly $1/lb. and you can purchase it from any merchant
who is part of the "Do it Best" network (I used to get it through a local hardware store!) or from any
Blue Seal distributor.

Would you try it? PM if you want the name of the feed. I don't want to be accused of "pushing" my feed
here on this thread.

Rob
I as others would assume these are the percentages that you are feeding. In the 8 ingredients i believe five are not animal related. Just an observation. you posted it.

Joe
But when the top two ingredients make up 65% of the feed (and they are chicken based), how can one classify that as "plant based" and still expect to be taken seriously? I never ONCE stated what type of feed I give my dogs, as I didn't want to be accused of pushing "my feed" on others.

Actually, I've straight out REFUSED to provide the name of the feed I give my dogs.

Rob

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:42 pm

edb wrote:If people spent as much time roading their dogs or hunting multiple days as they do trying to convince others what to feed they would find out real quick what feeds help their dogs perform to their potential.

My experience

Native - good performance, bad stool
Nutrisource - okay performance, good stool
Proplan - excellent performance, good stool
Eukanuba - same as proplan
Enhance - okay performance, terrible stool
Years ago, I had two dogs on Eukanuba....... absolutely horrible stools.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:05 pm

My point was you gave percentages. I don't give a "bleep" what you feed. Don't even care to know the cost. Once again, we are 121 posts into this conversation and I am currently and will continue to feed PPP. My dogs do great on it. I don't care if there is beet, pineapple or possum. If my dog performs at peak levels and I can still keep great weight on her and she eats it everytime i put it down and her coat shines great, I am doing good. Now the day the dogs snuff the bowl and give their back side when I fill the dish, I will get a hold of you and find out where I can get the beet/chicken food.

Until then feed you dogs whatever they like and perform well on and move on.

It's time for another " my hunting dog is better than you trial dog" thread. Continuing to discuss this is like feeding hay to a dead horse.

Joe

Joe

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:12 pm

jcbuttry8 wrote:My point was you gave percentages. I don't give a "bleep" what you feed. Don't even care to know the cost. Once again, we are 121 posts into this conversation and I am currently and will continue to feed PPP. My dogs do great on it. I don't care if there is beet, pineapple or possum. If my dog performs at peak levels and I can still keep great weight on her and she eats it everytime i put it down and her coat shines great, I am doing good. Now the day the dogs snuff the bowl and give their back side when I fill the dish, I will get a hold of you and find out where I can get the beet/chicken food.

It's time for another " my hunting dog is better than you trial dog" thread. Continuing to discuss this is like feeding hay to a dead horse.

Joe

Joe
Joe,
Never did I make any claims as to one specific feed being better than another. What I have stated a couple times now is that peoplep need to enter into the exercise of selecting a feed with both eyes open. I'm very happy that your dog has done well on PPP, at the end of the day, that is all that counts.

I'm done here. Going to put my pup on the barrel and work him a little.

Best of luck to you and your pup, I heard she put down quite the race at the Pheasant Futurity.

Rob

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:22 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
That's what I have believed for several years. I thought everyone that's been around awhile knew that. Gosh, it's been 10-15 years since the big change, if not more. 8)
big steve

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:17 pm

big steve46 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:
That's what I have believed for several years. I thought everyone that's been around awhile knew that. Gosh, it's been 10-15 years since the big change, if not more. 8)
PMI is now part of Land O' Lakes, and the foods are no longer made by Diamond. Exclusive and Red Flannel are now made by American Nutrition which makes Canidae's regular foods. PMI's grain-free line called Infinia is made by Texas Farm Products, which makes Precise.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:36 pm

GrayDawg wrote:
But when the top two ingredients make up 65% of the feed (and they are chicken based), how can one classify that as "plant based" and still expect to be taken seriously?
So you have some additional information other than what you posted? From reading the ingredient label we could assume that there is 75% Chicken Meal, 20% Chicken Fat and 5% from all other ingredients - Or we can assume 21 % Chicken Meal, 20% Chicken Fat, 18% each for the three different grains and 5% for the other ingredients. There is no way to know which is correct by the label. 54% grain makes a plant based food.

edb

Post by edb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:58 pm

slistoe wrote:
GrayDawg wrote:
But when the top two ingredients make up 65% of the feed (and they are chicken based), how can one classify that as "plant based" and still expect to be taken seriously?
So you have some additional information other than what you posted? From reading the ingredient label we could assume that there is 75% Chicken Meal, 20% Chicken Fat and 5% from all other ingredients - Or we can assume 21 % Chicken Meal, 20% Chicken Fat, 18% each for the three different grains and 5% for the other
ingredients. There is no way to know which is correct by the label. 54% grain makes a plant based food.
It is Native level 3. What I was told when feeding it was 92% of protein was from chicken meal. First 5 ingredients make up 85% of formula. It is a good solid food but dogs got loose when stressed. Very nice coats on it. I was also told about a month ago that they adjusted the protein and removed the reed sage peat or whatever it was called to correct issue. I have not tried new formula.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:37 pm

You can not include the fat in either catagory since it is all fat. Rice has practically no protein, oats are somewhere near 8 to 10 percent, barley and the rest are quite low so the feed is pretty much just chicken meal with very little other protein resource. It would be better if they had varied sources plus would be cheaper. Native is a decent feed that fits in with a whole slew of decent feeds but tends to run rather expensive for what you get. I have heard that many have soft stool problems with it which probably is the result of over feeding when working your dogs trying to keep them in condition. Chicken by itself is not the greatest in that area.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:44 pm

GrayDawg wrote:
jcbuttry8 wrote:My point was you gave percentages. I don't give a "bleep" what you feed. Don't even care to know the cost. Once again, we are 121 posts into this conversation and I am currently and will continue to feed PPP. My dogs do great on it. I don't care if there is beet, pineapple or possum. If my dog performs at peak levels and I can still keep great weight on her and she eats it everytime i put it down and her coat shines great, I am doing good. Now the day the dogs snuff the bowl and give their back side when I fill the dish, I will get a hold of you and find out where I can get the beet/chicken food.

Joe

Joe
Joe,
Never did I make any claims as to one specific feed being better than another. What I have stated a couple times now is that peoplep need to enter into the exercise of selecting a feed with both eyes open. I'm very happy that your dog has done well on PPP, at the end of the day, that is all that counts.

I'm done here. Going to put my pup on the barrel and work him a little.

Best of luck to you and your pup, I heard she put down quite the race at the Pheasant Futurity.

Rob

She did put down a heck of a race, and It was the last race she ran for me. She has moved on. Her name has been changed. She will now be known as Palara. So, if you see her in the field that was the dog previously known as Kona.

Joe

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:09 am

I had a so so experience with Native, the price isn't bad but the gas and stools were. I think the Blue Seal foods are better, which are part of Kent now.

At this price level, about $1lb I had the best experience with Pro Pac and continue to believe that one is a really good value.

Below that Sportmix is good.

At higher prices, there are 3 or 4 performance foods that are in a class by themselves but generally hard to get and expensive when you have multiple dogs, unless you buy direct.

Pro Plan is very pricey in light of the low meat protein, but dogs do well on it but I still wouldn't pay 30% more than what Pro Pac costs.

All of Purina's sponsorship is not a free lunch, they get it back in the food price.

oneshotbritts

Post by oneshotbritts » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:35 pm

I have fed Pro-Plan before and had no problems with it as a feed. I do feed supplemental raw according to the whole prey item model. I currently feed Dr. Tim's Momentum. I have found that I feed about 30% less food of Dr. Tim's to maintain the same body condition which ends up being cheaper for me than Pro-Plan after you take into account how much less the dogs are eating. I still supplement raw, more so during trial and hunting season or whelp.

I believe that the most impressive athletes in the domestic canine world are the endurance sled dogs. It is absolutely amazing what they can accomplish in races like the Iditarod, etc. With a little reading and research, it is not too hard to find out that many mushers supplement raw meat, bones, and fat along with organs to their dogs diets - especially during the heart of racing season. Something to take note of.

Just sharing my view on canine nutrition and what works for me. I'm sure I'll be told I'm wrong in one way or another, but if there's one thing I've learned being involved with dogs, it's that there is always more to learn -no matter how long you've been in the sport. That's what makes it fun.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:15 am

oneshotbritts wrote:I have fed Pro-Plan before and had no problems with it as a feed. I do feed supplemental raw according to the whole prey item model. I currently feed Dr. Tim's Momentum. I have found that I feed about 30% less food of Dr. Tim's to maintain the same body condition which ends up being cheaper for me than Pro-Plan after you take into account how much less the dogs are eating. I still supplement raw, more so during trial and hunting season or whelp.

I believe that the most impressive athletes in the domestic canine world are the endurance sled dogs. It is absolutely amazing what they can accomplish in races like the Iditarod, etc. With a little reading and research, it is not too hard to find out that many mushers supplement raw meat, bones, and fat along with organs to their dogs diets - especially during the heart of racing season. Something to take note of.

Just sharing my view on canine nutrition and what works for me. I'm sure I'll be told I'm wrong in one way or another, but if there's one thing I've learned being involved with dogs, it's that there is always more to learn -no matter how long you've been in the sport. That's what makes it fun.
How many dogs on Momentum?

oneshotbritts

Post by oneshotbritts » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:58 am

4 are on momentum. The 3 old dogs are on solid gold holistic blendz.

magspa

Post by magspa » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:16 pm

As the OP of this thread, here is my update. The PPPP worked well, no issues, dogs had plenty of energy, stools were ok. Since then i have switched to 4health after seeing it at tractor supply, the 30/20 blend. Its been about 20 days now and my really thin GSP that i have been asking about looks better, cant see all her ribs now. I have noticed better stools in the yard too. Energy and general health seem the same as always which is great. I am going to use the 4health permanently now..plus it is significantly cheaper. Not that PPPP wasnt any good but this 4health just seems to be the ticket for my 2 dogs. Thanks for all the info, I learned a lot.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:30 pm

magspa wrote:As the OP of this thread, here is my update. The PPPP worked well, no issues, dogs had plenty of energy, stools were ok. Since then i have switched to 4health after seeing it at tractor supply, the 30/20 blend. Its been about 20 days now and my really thin GSP that i have been asking about looks better, cant see all her ribs now. I have noticed better stools in the yard too. Energy and general health seem the same as always which is great. I am going to use the 4health permanently now..plus it is significantly cheaper. Not that PPPP wasnt any good but this 4health just seems to be the ticket for my 2 dogs. Thanks for all the info, I learned a lot.
Hey, glad you found something that works for your dog. I haven't tried the 4-Health feed but I know TS is selling a lot of it and here at our store they haven't received any complaints about the job it is doing. I think you have found out you don'r have to feed one of the higher priced feeds to find one that works.

Ezzy

magspa

Post by magspa » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Thanks Ezzy. It was either this or the Nutro high endurance 30/20, but tried this cause more cal/cup for the scrawny one. Glad it worked out cause the price is way better.

Allin13

Post by Allin13 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:19 pm

just find a food with the most amount of meat and a good price. try to keep grains on the low side. just beacuse the dog wont eat the food is not saying the food is bad. kids would love ice cream over chicken and green beans!

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:35 pm

I would definitely try it (4health) if I could get it here in the west.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:12 pm

volraider wrote:My dogs do great on it. People worry to much about food, if the dogs have good stools and look good keep feeding it.
I agree.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:30 pm

I believe you can get the 4 Health through Petflow and have it shipped to your door. The only problem I see with it is I can get Diamond Extreme Athlete for the same price, get higher protein and fat and a 40lb bag instead of 35.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:47 pm

I will stick with what I learned from Arleigh Reynolds and Joe Wakshlag I think they know what they are doing.

I wonder if either of them tried Momentum?
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:33 pm

northern cajun wrote:I will stick with what I learned from Arleigh Reynolds and Joe Wakshlag I think they know what they are doing.

I wonder if either of them tried Momentum?
Well, Arleigh Reynolds works for Purina and Joe Wakshlag might as well, he has been supported by Purina.