Suppliments for older dogs

roosterbrews

Post by roosterbrews » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:34 am

I have a 10 year old GSP who is having some pain after a long hunt. He has never had any problems before so I am guessing his age is finally catching up with him. I bought some C9 older dog suppliment and had a doctor friend of mine look at it and she said it is something she wouldn't hesitate to give to her dogs but not all the time just a few weeks or so. Is there anything out there that I could be using to help him out all the time or is old age just that. Shorter hunts is obviously my next step but other than that.

Deuce

Post by Deuce » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:39 am

I give my 9 y/o GSP the C9 supplement twice a day as the directions say... She's a hard charging dog and still runs likes she's 3, but before I intro'd the supplement she would be home at night whining and having a hard time getting on the couch. Now with the supplement the whining and stiffness is nonexistent. If we miss a few days it comes back though. I'm curious, why did they say not to give it every day?

roosterbrews

Re: Suppliments for older dogs

Post by roosterbrews » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:45 am

I have to ask again one of the ingridence was not something you would give a human for an extended time.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:25 am

i use COSAMIN DS Pills for toby and get them off amazon on sale .I BUY BIG BOTTLES.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:40 am

Here are a couple of products I have used before.

Animal Naurals Young At Heart
http://www.k9power.com/k9-young-at-heart.html

Springtimes Longevity
http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/longevity

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:30 am

I use P.A.W. ,joint care, mussels. I don't wait until the dog is old but start at around 6 years of age. I believe osteosupport is worth the money but no , I have no proof of that. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

MATT4126

Post by MATT4126 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:45 pm

On the advice of a Dog Dr on this forum I started giving my GSP Steadfast. She has had 2 knee surgeries and this stuff is awesome. No more novox for pain, and although I know she feels it after a hunt or a big run she is not lame at all. And it only costs a dollar a day.

roosterbrews

Post by roosterbrews » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks for all the replies. The C9 and a little rest seem to be doing the trick I'll take a look at the stead fast also.
He's running and happy today.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:22 am

It may not be just a joint issue. When dogs work hard they burn glycogen in their muscles which causes fatigue. Glucosamine/chondroiten are longer term solutions and that needs to get started ASAP but you should also look into supplements like K9 Superfuel orGlycocharge which restores glycogen levels in a matter of hours versus days.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:34 pm

Synflex : http://www.synflexamerica.com/pet/synflex.php

Liquid Glucosamine supplement - better absorption than pills.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:59 pm

Chaingang wrote:Synflex : http://www.synflexamerica.com/pet/synflex.php

Liquid Glucosamine supplement - better absorption than pills.
Why would that be? I'd ;ile to see the tests they did.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:54 pm

Don't have access to no tests. Your free to email them if you really must see them.

I'm just taking a stab here that a liquid would absorb into the bloodstream quicker than any pill form, but that is just me and my uneducated guess. :wink:

12Gauge

Post by 12Gauge » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:01 pm

I have only been using this for a couple of weeks. My dog is 7 she doesn't show her age but I started using this to be proactive. It is very affordable and its organic.

http://www.naturesfarmacy.com/store/det ... ategory=33

roosterbrews

Post by roosterbrews » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:24 am

After a week of the C9 he hunted a solid two hours with no problems. I also added the Glucosamine supplement thanks for all your help.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:48 am

Liquid Glucosamine definitely gets absorbed faster than the pills but I'm not sure how. When athletes need something to get into them quick like, protein, carbs creatine etc, they drink it not eat it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:50 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Liquid Glucosamine definitely gets absorbed faster than the pills but I'm not sure how. When athletes need something to get into them quick like, protein, carbs creatine etc, they drink it not eat it.
That's for conveniece and not how quick it is absorbed.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:59 pm

I guess pre digested protein isn't absorbed faster than eating a steak either.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:54 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I guess pre digested protein isn't absorbed faster than eating a steak either.
You don't have a clue what you are talking about and it shows. Liquids do no mean predigested, for a matter of fact they have no relationship. There are liquids that absorb fast and there are solids that absorb fast. The state of the materials is not what governs the rate of absorption. When you have chest pain they don't give you a liquid to save your life but rather a pill that you place under your tongue which is a location that allows rapid absorption. Armpits and groin areas will also absorb rapidly

Predigested is not something most people are comfortable with I am sure. Protein is just a word we use to describe amino acids and is not something you or a dog eats as such. Our bodies need a certain balance of amino acids and we get those from many sources and we call that group amino acids.

Ezzy

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:23 pm

I give my dogs Glucosamine Sulfate / Chondroitin from the day they come home until they are 12 - 14 months old.
Then I switch to Glucosamine Sulfate + MSM........... In a large meta-analysis, it was shown that Chondroitin has little or no value in a skeletally mature dog.
Many Glucosamine products are in the form of a hard pill --- the pill is made hard by using magnesium stearate -- magnesium stearate is not broken down at appropriate places in the gi system for good absorption.
The best Glucosamine supplements are a powder inside of a gelatin capsule.

Glucosamine Sulfate is much better than Glucosamine HCl (hydrochloride). All glucosamine is in the HCl form when first made -- but the better (concientious) companies then convert it into the Sulfate form.

When my dogs get old and are beginning to show signs of arthritis, I also give them Hyaluronic Acid.
in order to be absorbed and not digested, the HA must be enzymatically cleaved to make the molecule a much smaller size.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:52 pm

I don't proclaim to be an expert, but the info I'm finding all states liquid Glucosamine as the preferred source for fast absorption other than injectable Glucosamine. Here's one such source, there are many others if you care to do your own search: http://www.joint-muscle-relief.com/gluc ... -type.html

An excerpt from another:
Test studies have found that liquid glucosamine is far superior to the tablet form and patients who take the liquid form also find that it far surpasses the effects felt from tablets. Obviously, since the liquid enters the stomach without a barrier, such as a tablet coating, it is absorbed immediatley, which means that the benefits may be felt sooner. As well as that, if you happen to suffer from a gastric ailment that might interfere with your stomach’s ability to break down a tablet, you will not get the full benefit of the dose unless you do use the liquid form.

So..... unless there ALL wrong. :roll:

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:50 pm

Glucosamine can take from a week to a month to show results.
Is "Rapid absorption" (ie Liquid) really needed ? I don't think so.
Maximum absorption is much more imporant than speed of absorption.

and

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:21 pm

Doc,That was what my post was supposed to say but I dont know what happened. There was a complete sentence missing.

Ezzy, protein was just an example of how things can be absorbed faster. Anyone who drinks protein shakes, creatine and amino acids can tell you how effective those products are. Most of the research that went into that industry was done using K9's to develope them. What they learned on the human side is showing up in supplements like Glycocharge, K9 superfuel and others. Look Up K9 Superfuel and you can read what goes into it.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Doc E wrote:Is "Rapid absorption" (ie Liquid) really needed ? I don't think so.
IMO yes if you want quicker results. Anytime something is absorbed quickly into the bloodstream vs having to go through the digestive process, I think it's safe to say the quicker your going to see results. I think the quote I listed above says it all.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:25 pm

Chaingang wrote:
Doc E wrote:Is "Rapid absorption" (ie Liquid) really needed ? I don't think so.
IMO yes if you want quicker results. Anytime something is absorbed quickly into the bloodstream vs having to go through the digestive process, I think it's safe to say the quicker your going to see results. I think the quote I listed above says it all.

I can't find any articles from peer reviewed scientific/research journals that show that rapid absorption of Glucosamine gives any more rapid changes than the 7 day to 30 day time frame that i mentined above.

If you have other information (from peer reviewed scientific/research journals), i'd be glad to read them and give my opinion.

and

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:28 pm

My older dogs get Synovi G3 granules at every meal. Not really a recovery supplement as much as for ongoing joint maintenance
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"