Diarrhea

BayAreaGSP

Diarrhea

Post by BayAreaGSP » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:16 am

So ive been battling diarrea in my 6 month shorthair for about 1.5 months now. Ive been in contact with my vet and he is comming up short. So here's whats been going on.

Diarrhea first started, so we cleared him out for 24hrs no feed then rice and chicken (sold poop) then slowly worked food (kirkland) back in...diarrhea. Cleared him out again...rice and chicken and worked in a new food ( blue buffalo)....diarrhea. Got a stool test, negative for worms or parasites ( giardia). Vet suggested pro plan sensitive skin/stomach seemed to be working well all week, stools getting much better, then last night up every 2 hrs again.

I know you arent vets but wondering if youve ever had a dog go through this.

-C

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Diarrhea

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:08 pm

Here is a couple things I do when I have a dog that has the runs...instead of just wasting money testing for stuff which can be missed I DO THE BELOW AND IF I DO NOT SEE ANY IMPROVEMENT WITH IN 24 HOURS it is off to the vet

try getting some safeguard horse wormer and put an inch line on your finger and give to the dog once a day for about 10 days

you can also give the dog metronidozole ...(fish dept called Fish-zole) 250mg a day aka Flagyl I do this also for at least 7 -10 days
http://www.atozvetsupply.com/FISH-ZOLE- ... ol-100.htm
http://www.jefferspet.com/fish-antibiot ... 1E9AIRX48/

cut back on how much food you are feeding by at least 1/4th cup and add the Gerber Baby rice cereal

again this is what I would do/try...you may want to consult with your vet about this
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:55 pm

Had your pup been on any antibiotics prior to the first episode of diarrhea?

What formula of Kirkland were you feeding?

How much food per meal, how many meals a day?

What formula of Blue Buffalo and how much per day.

Angus

Post by Angus » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:11 pm

Is the dog getting into anything when outside? Is the dog crated, loose in house, or kenneled when you are not home? Any possibility of eating something other than his food?

Is it diarrhea with 2hr trips outside all of the time, or just loose stool most of the time with diarrhea here and there?

I've been battling loose stool in my pup for a year now (which I have finally solved), and fought diarrhea with my old dog last week for 2.5 days. Trips outside with the old dog were every 20 mins for a while and a few cleanups in the morning. Some dog flu or something he got into on the farm. He has always had an iron stomach.

Anyhow, loose stool can be chronic and diarrhea is more acute from my understanding.

BayAreaGSP

Post by BayAreaGSP » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:02 pm

MikeB wrote:Had your pup been on any antibiotics prior to the first episode of diarrhea?

What formula of Kirkland were you feeding?

How much food per meal, how many meals a day?

What formula of Blue Buffalo and how much per day.
Kirkland, puppy, chicken and rice

2.5 cups 2x a day (on a steady schedule) hes 45-50 lbs right now and 6 months old

blue buffalo, puppy chicken and brown rice

BayAreaGSP

Post by BayAreaGSP » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:15 pm

Angus wrote:Is the dog getting into anything when outside? Is the dog crated, loose in house, or kenneled when you are not home? Any possibility of eating something other than his food?

Is it diarrhea with 2hr trips outside all of the time, or just loose stool most of the time with diarrhea here and there?

I've been battling loose stool in my pup for a year now (which I have finally solved), and fought diarrhea with my old dog last week for 2.5 days. Trips outside with the old dog were every 20 mins for a while and a few cleanups in the morning. Some dog flu or something he got into on the farm. He has always had an iron stomach.

Anyhow, loose stool can be chronic and diarrhea is more acute from my understanding.
We do have a fruit tree that has large seeds that he likes to chew, we thought this may have something to do with it but we make sure to clean them up daily so he hasnt gotten into any in a while. Crated when not at home. maybe eating those fruit.

some nights...like tongiht are mostly solid and loose stool most of the time, but then there are nights when its go out every 2 hrs diarrhea

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:16 pm

Wow that is a lot of food
I feed my pups loyall performance and trying out some Canine Classic and only feeding about 2 - 2 1/2 cups once a day
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

SCT

Post by SCT » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:21 pm

Cut the meal to once a day. Add a handful of raw hamburger to about the same amount of the dry dog food and also add 1/4-1/2 cup of tomato juice. Once a day only. You may be feeding him too much and what's sitting in his lower gut is creating excess bacteria. His system probably isn't processing the amount you are giving him. The hamburger and tomato juice will firm his stools up real quick and within 2-3 days transition off the hamburger and tomato juice to just dry food. Do not increase his meal to twice a day until you know he's stable on a once a day feeding. You can slowly increase his once a day meal but don't add a second meal unless he's getting too thin.

BayAreaGSP

Post by BayAreaGSP » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:25 pm

The fruit is called Loquat

BayAreaGSP

Post by BayAreaGSP » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:29 pm

Toxicity

A 5-year-old girl in Florida ate 4 unripe loquats, fell asleep and was difficult to awaken and seemed dazed. After about 2 hours, she was back to normal. There have been instances of poisoning in poultry from ingestion of loquat seeds. The seeds contain amygdalin (which is converted into HCN); also the lipids, sterol, b-sitosterol, triglyceride, sterolester, diglyceride and compound lipids; and fatty acids, mainly linoleic, palmitic, linolenic and oleic. There is amygdalin also in the fruit peel. The leaves possess a mixture of triterpenes, also tannin, vitamin B and ascorbic acid; in addition, there are traces of arsenic. Young leaves contain saponin. Some individuals suffer headache when too close to a loquat tree in bloom, The emanation from the flowers is sweet and penetrating

Just looked this up! this must be it!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:24 am

You say in your original post that the diarrhea cleared up when you 'cleared him out' with the chicken and rice, but it came back when you reintroduced the dog food. Then you state that the dog consumes 5 cups of dog food a day. That's a pretty large ration! Try cutting back considerably and see what happens. Over feeding is a very common cause of digestive problems.

Been there done that with one of my dogs. Just a little over 2 cups of food daily and he gets loose sloppy stools, and considerably over the 2 cups can mean a big mess. Of my four setters, two stay in great shape on 2 cups a day, one is very active and needs a little extra, and another gets heavy so needs a little less. Feed the amount your dog does well on, it's not always what the bag says.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:50 am

Bay Area GSP,

The fruit could be adding to the problem but I think the main cause is to much food per day. 2.5 AM & PM is 5 cups a day. Also by cups I do mean an 8 oz. cup.
How much does you cup hold.

I would cut back to 1 3/4 cup each meal for a week and see how the stools do. Once solid again for a week or more you can go up to 2 cups each meal.

You need to find the right amount that won't cause diarrhea.

Angus

Post by Angus » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:31 pm

I also agree with the other posters that it could be too much food. I would cut bck to around 3c per day for a few days and see how it goes. If the dog starts losing weight then increase the amount of food slowly until weight is maintained or stools loosen up.

BayAreaGSP

Post by BayAreaGSP » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:02 pm

yeah, 8oz cups. I'll cut back this week and see if things tighten up. he's just so active and still growing so i think im tending to over feed.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:06 pm

Bay Area,

How is your dog doing now?

Did you cut back on his food?

Did the diarrhea go away?

Bring us up to date.

BayAreaGSP

Post by BayAreaGSP » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:11 pm

You guy are amazing! So simple but i would have missed it and spent BIG $ trying all sort of foods. Amount was the answer, we dropped him a full cup a day (now on 2 cups in the AM and 2 in the PM) and everything returned to normal, AND STAYED THAT WAY! he now has gone back to sleeping through the night. Thank you to all who helped out with this!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:18 am

Glad to hear that everything is 'coming out' just fine :lol:

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:42 am

shags wrote:Glad to hear that everything is 'coming out' just fine :lol:
+1 Good to get good feed back, there are some valid points on this forum with guys that have been around sometime. :wink:

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:51 pm

SOunds like you found your primary problem, but for sure keep him away from the Loquats. I love them, grew up with a tree in front of my window, and know that they can cause serious stomach/gastrointestinal problems! Definately NOT something for the dog to eat...

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:59 pm

Good news ... Glad everything is back to normal at your house.