Skin Lesions- Blastomycosis??

txgsp

Skin Lesions- Blastomycosis??

Post by txgsp » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:30 pm

Alright, so long story short... Went hunting last weekend in Schulenburg to shoot some dove. My 3 year old GSP was fine all week until Wednesday night I noticed he had a bump on his right shoulder. I moved the hair around and it looked like a little puncture wound or a sting mark.

Since I live in an apartment, I take him to day care every day (totally spoiled). When I picked him up Thursday, you could tell that he had bumps ALL over his back. I ran my hand down his back and it felt like a bunch of mosquito bites.

Anyways, I take him to the vet and they took some samples and ran some tests (should get those back in 3-5 days). In the mean time, he is on 2 antibiotics, a shampoo and pain pills. She said that it could be several options: staph, which is best case scenario, blastomycosis or some other fungal infection.

This leads me to my question... Has anyone seen blastomycosis on their dog before? She said it would be caused from damp soil. His lesions last night were a little pus-filled, but today they are looking better. What's the chance it is fungal??

Any insight would be appreciated.

-William

Ms. Cage

Re: Skin Lesions- Blastomycosis??

Post by Ms. Cage » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:43 pm

I'm thinking staph infection since you have mmosquito like bumps and already looking better after a medicated shampoo.