Do you feed high energy/sporting food year round?

CacaoandNilla

Do you feed high energy/sporting food year round?

Post by CacaoandNilla » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:05 am

I heard some people only feed it during season

Im also wondering what sporting foods you use?

thanks

brad27

Re: Do you feed high energy/sporting food year round?

Post by brad27 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:07 am

I feed diamond EA. 2-2.5 cups right now. 3-5.5 cups during hunting/trial season.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:50 pm

Dr. Tim's Pursuit 30/20, and yes I see no reason to change based on season, just amount.

30/20's are a good way to keep carbohydrate consumption low without spending much more money on high protein GF foods.

Dr. Tim's Momentum 35/25 would be a great diet for a Shorthair or Pointer that really burns calories.

For most people outside the upper midwest, Petflow is a great way. With the discounts, you can get Pursuit for less than Pro Plan per lb depending where you are. Petflow ships from the east and west coast so orders get to you fast. Around $1.20lb for this quality food is a good deal.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:20 pm

Yes. Adjust rations accordingly to exercise.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:27 pm

CacaoandNilla wrote:I heard some people only feed it during season

Im also wondering what sporting foods you use?

thanks
If you look back in the archives you will find most people stick with the same feed year round. You can cut back to a lower analysis feed but it will save you little and probably is not as good for your dog.

Most professionals and owners who maintain a kennel and work their dogs harder than most, feed a good medium priced feed such as Purina, Diamond, or several others companies feeds while some one dog owners always are looking for a better feed and think they have to feed some of the high priced speciality type feeds but it just doesn't work like that. Working dogs need a working dog feed with a good balanced formula that supplies the needs of a hrd working dog and does it at a reasonable price. Many of the good feeds are still costing less than a dollar a pound and some of them are considerably less, but they still seem to be the feeds of choice when you need to provide a good complete feed for your dog.

Find a feed that is readily available locally, one your dog likes, and one you can afford. Use it and stick with it and you and your dog will be in good shape to enjoy many hunting seasons in your future. And don't let the syndrome of chasing rainbows, thinking there is a better feed get to you. Your dog will love you.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:35 pm

We do not change formulas, only amounts.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:53 pm

Reposted from another subject area;

Starting a so called "hotter" feed 2 months before training starts is right on. I think the best is the same food year round and feed according to caloric needs but if you go 2 months prior to training you give the dogs' body time to acclimate to the food. More importantly it (the "hotter" feed, which I assume is a higher fat/protein ration) resets the metabolic pathways so the dog is more efficient at using the "hotter" feed and the nutrients are used where they are supposed to be used-protein for muscle building and maintanence, not energy use; fat for energy; carbs for some minor functions. In sled dog world we have been able to shave off easily a month of training by feeding these foods well ahead of training being begun.

How to assess training improvements? Recovery is much quicker(right after exercise and the next exercise event), weight holds better, respiratory rate lower, muscles grow at a better rate, endurance goes up, appetite stays strong and they handle the increase of intensity in training with out injuries.

The very best way is to feed these high fat/hi protein foods year round and lower/raise the ration. I learned much of what I know from Dr. Arleigh Reynolds, a nutritionist, and he works for Purina now. Look up his work, he has great knowledge and it is all documented.

This isn't dust in the wind or a catch phrase on a bag. Nor a punch to anyones gut.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:22 pm

Ditto to all the above. Same formula all year. BTW, since you asked, mine is Sportmix 24/20. I get it so close to home and the price is so comparibly good and dogs do as well on it as any other feed, it just doesn't make sense for me to feed anything else.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:36 am

slistoe wrote:Yes. Adjust rations accordingly to exercise.

x2 ( Pro Plan Senior - 1 cup a day )
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett