Yes? No?
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Trifexis?

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat May 12, 2012 10:15 am

It works great, but is expensive. Probably should not be given to breeding females. A few of my customers have reported vomiting problems immediately after administering the dose in their dogs .
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat May 12, 2012 10:25 am

Lot a dough for something that does nothing for ticks.

Based on what is out there, once a month Ivermectin and Advantix II are probably the best combo for fleas, ticks, heartworm and the occasional intestinal bug.

Advantix II is particularly good keeping away flies and I pressume mosquitoes. My dog had a few welts on his head from biting flies and I switched him over to Advantix II and they leave him alone now. It is not cheap either but not horrible.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat May 12, 2012 5:35 pm

I like it. It actually will work on ticks for about the first 2 weeks of the 30 days between doses. As far as $, at our clinic 6 months of trifexis is cheaper than using heart guard and frontline together. You might check out advantage multi also, they have a good deal going now. 8 doses for price of 6 I think.

falcondoc

Post by falcondoc » Sun May 13, 2012 1:44 pm

I am not a big fan of Trifexis. Up to 30% of dogs getting the Comfortis included in it will vomit fairly soon after getting the pill. I really prefer more tick control. Tim Sullivan DVM

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue May 15, 2012 8:39 am

Yes, we have seen some vomiting post consumption, but in my experience it would be alot closer to 3% than 30. Giving it to them on a full stomach seems to help alot.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue May 22, 2012 8:42 pm

Do you suppose you could break it in half and give it am/pm with w meal both time for a sensitive stomach dog? I have personally had no issues with my own dogs with comfortis. The breeding dog warning worries me though..

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue May 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Mcbosco
that is my current method also. The flies tip the balence. They are bad this year. Biting me too when i train!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue May 22, 2012 9:16 pm

dog dr wrote:I like it. It actually will work on ticks for about the first 2 weeks of the 30 days between doses. As far as $, at our clinic 6 months of trifexis is cheaper than using heart guard and frontline together. You might check out advantage multi also, they have a good deal going now. 8 doses for price of 6 I think.
I must be missing someting." will work on ticks for about the first 2 weeks of the 30 days between doses" This ia considered effective , good, ? :?:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed May 23, 2012 10:05 am

Sharon wrote:
dog dr wrote:I like it. It actually will work on ticks for about the first 2 weeks of the 30 days between doses. As far as $, at our clinic 6 months of trifexis is cheaper than using heart guard and frontline together. You might check out advantage multi also, they have a good deal going now. 8 doses for price of 6 I think.
I must be missing someting." will work on ticks for about the first 2 weeks of the 30 days between doses" This ia considered effective , good, ? :?:
Im just saying i dont see ticks on my dogs for the first 2 weeks after i give them trifexis. that 3rd week i start to see a few. its not labeled for ticks because it wont control them for the whole 30 days. if you have a tick problem you need to use something else too, imho.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri May 25, 2012 6:52 am

After a month during the height of the tick season, this Advantix II looks like a winner. Not one tick, nor any fly bites on the head.

falcondoc

Post by falcondoc » Sun May 27, 2012 1:34 pm

We used Trifexis and sold it for about 6 months when it first came out. I had to answer a lot of calls regarding vomiting after receiving it. I believe the research presented to me by the sales representative said up to 30% of dogs vomited when receiving it and that has beenvery close to my experience also. I see so many ticks anyway, I just use for own hunting vizslas and sell to my clients Frontline or Vectra, along with heartworm prevention. The Vectra has very good repellent action for ticks as well. I have a lot happier clients. Tim Sullivan DVM

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun May 27, 2012 3:08 pm

mcbosco wrote:After a month during the height of the tick season, this Advantix II looks like a winner. Not one tick, nor any fly bites on the head.
People need to be careful about what they order. There are several kinds of Advantage - K9 Andvantix 55, Advantage Multi 55, Advantage 16 (cats)I hear of people ordering Advantage 2 but I've never see that here in ON Google the product before you buy to check that it is what you want.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun May 27, 2012 3:51 pm

Sharon wrote:
mcbosco wrote:After a month during the height of the tick season, this Advantix II looks like a winner. Not one tick, nor any fly bites on the head.
People need to be careful about what they order. There are several kinds of Advantage - K9 Andvantix 55, Advantage Multi 55, Advantage 16 (cats)I hear of people ordering Advantage 2 but I've never see that here in ON Google the product before you buy to check that it is what you want.
http://www.petparents.com/show.aspx/pro ... are-brands

This is the one sold here.

fishpond

Post by fishpond » Tue May 29, 2012 4:14 pm

I just started using Certifect this month. Applied it on the 17th.

Spent last 4 days in No Central Mo at pointing dog clinic.

Ticks were thick. All the owners (including me) were picking them off of themselves the whole time.

Don't know about te other dogs, but mine had none.

Carl