How much are you paying to Neuter your dog?

Red

How much are you paying to Neuter your dog?

Post by Red » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:10 pm

My wife called the Vet to make an appointment to get a rabies vaccine and asked the Vet how much it would cost to neuter the dog and was quoted 788.00 bucks!!!! :roll:

I was floored, last time I had a pup neuterd it cost me 40 bucks.. What are you guys paying???

BTW, I'm in New Jersey...
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

Angus

Re: How much are you paying to Neuter your dog?

Post by Angus » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:16 pm

WOW...

That's unheard of. Last dog that was neutered was 5-6 years ago. It was a complicated one do to an undecended testicle. the surgery was around $150. The infection afterwards was around another $70 or so. I know prices have gone up since then, but not that much. I'd have to call the vet to get an accurate price for you.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:33 pm

My vet was charging around $125 3 yrs ago. I'm betting he's about the same still (he's in NJ too....but not accepting any new patients).
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:55 pm

The last rescue we had neutered through a privately owned full service clinic cost around $150.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:09 pm

Not sure about a neuter but a spay at my vet cost me $88 for the spay job and another $8 for the rabies shot last year. She based it on the size of my dog which was 43 lbs. She told me neutering was quite a bit cheaper.

Ralph Ford

Post by Ralph Ford » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:11 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Not sure about a neuter but a spay at my vet cost me $88 for the spay job and another $8 for the rabies shot last year. She based it on the size of my dog which was 43 lbs. She told me neutering was quite a bit cheaper.

$2 a pound, yeah,that's how it should be. :)

fishpond

Post by fishpond » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:34 pm

in May 2011 I paid $267 to spay a 55lb GSP; Feb of 2012 $158 to neuter a 65lb male GSP.

This is in the rural suburbs of Kansas City

Carl

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:40 pm

we are in western IL, rural community. a dog neuter will cost you $78 or $88, depending on the size of the dog.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:21 pm

What kind of a friend cut's your nad's off? :(
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:48 pm

All mine have been between 50-75 for males and up to $130 for females. I'd sure shop around - and I really like getting mine done at the shelters, when you think about it, their vet does TONS more spay/neuters than the normal practice does. They're much more experienced than most private practice vets that I know. But I always ask a lot of questions before I take a dog in for any surgery.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:04 pm

Red wrote: BTW, I'm in New Jersey...
That's why ! I used to live in NJ & keep in touch with friends still living there. It's always a lot more for vet care there. I do realize the cost of living is higher there but that sounds a little high to neuter. I have even run into people at my local vets here who have summer homes here & bring there animals cat's & dog's because it is so much cheaper here. I paid about 150.00 3 yrs ago & the vet I used is one of the more expensive vets the area has to offer.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:17 pm

RoostersMom wrote:All mine have been between 50-75 for males and up to $130 for females. I'd sure shop around - and I really like getting mine done at the shelters, when you think about it, their vet does TONS more spay/neuters than the normal practice does. They're much more experienced than most private practice vets that I know. But I always ask a lot of questions before I take a dog in for any surgery.
Not sure I would agree with that, but to each their own. Sure, it's surgery, and there are some things you need to know and practice, but it sure ain't rocket science, and once you've done a few you pretty much have the hang of it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:42 pm

dog dr wrote:
RoostersMom wrote:All mine have been between 50-75 for males and up to $130 for females. I'd sure shop around - and I really like getting mine done at the shelters, when you think about it, their vet does TONS more spay/neuters than the normal practice does. They're much more experienced than most private practice vets that I know. But I always ask a lot of questions before I take a dog in for any surgery.
Not sure I would agree with that, but to each their own. Sure, it's surgery, and there are some things you need to know and practice, but it sure ain't rocket science, and once you've done a few you pretty much have the hang of it.
Can't think of anything much simpler than neutering as many of us have done them for years. Only reason to go to a vet is the anesthetic. Spaying is a little bit more complex but always felt I could do it after watching a couple.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:51 pm

I was commenting b/c I get a negative response a lot from folks about them not wanting to take their dogs to a "shelter" clinic for spay/neuter and would rather go to a "real" vet. Not so much to say it was tons better to go to a shelter - but just to say that they do a lot of them and thus I feel like they probably have handled a lot of "weird" situations. One vet at our local shelter told me she'd done over 60 dogs one week. That's a lot of dogs!

I do support my local vet, but when he charges 3 X's what the shelter charges for such a simple procedure - I choose to go the cheaper route.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:02 am

RoostersMom wrote:I was commenting b/c I get a negative response a lot from folks about them not wanting to take their dogs to a "shelter" clinic for spay/neuter and would rather go to a "real" vet. Not so much to say it was tons better to go to a shelter - but just to say that they do a lot of them and thus I feel like they probably have handled a lot of "weird" situations. One vet at our local shelter told me she'd done over 60 dogs one week. That's a lot of dogs!

I do support my local vet, but when he charges 3 X's what the shelter charges for such a simple procedure - I choose to go the cheaper route.
Another thing to think about at least here where I live the same vets charging bigger number's in their office are doing the same job at the clinic's. ( spay/neuter.) I don't know if volunteer or state helps pay them ? Have seen this happen all the time.

Red

Post by Red » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:47 am

Thanks all, I have a buddy that helps out at a Boxer rescue, maybe he knows someone...

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:07 am

Red, i would do a little research via the phonebook or the internet. I would bet you could find a small town country vet where the price would be alot more reasonable. Ive never been to New Jersay, and dont have a clue what its like where you live, but surely within an hour or so there would be a vet that falls under that description. good luck, wish you were closer, i could use the business!

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:35 am

Red wrote:My wife called the Vet to make an appointment to get a rabies vaccine and asked the Vet how much it would cost to neuter the dog and was quoted 788.00 bucks!!!! :roll:

I was floored, last time I had a pup neuterd it cost me 40 bucks.. What are you guys paying???

BTW, I'm in New Jersey...

0 . Barring medical (or maybe behavioral if dog is owned by an old lady) problems neccessitating it, I can't think why any sensible responsible dog guy would want to.

You think he's going to steal your car keys, lift your wallet and go troll for bitches in season on the street corner?

This is just wrong-headed thinking..or non-thinking by the brainwashed.

DougB

Post by DougB » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:55 am

0 . Barring medical problems neccesitating it, I can't think why any sensible responsible dog guy would want to.
Unless you have a stud worth using, why not eliminate the possibility of a sub par litter, or even an average but unwanted litter. If you can guarantee all the offspring get into good homes, fine. If you can not, it is irresponsible to not s/n. Shelters and rescues are full with lots of good dogs, many hunting breeds, and many with papers. No need to breed more just to euthanize. If you doubt this, just log into petfinder and check them out.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:57 am

It reduces the risk of some health problems,testicular cancer for sure. Some neutered dogs mark less. Less chance of fighting among males. No chance of accidental breedings. Probably more. Some reasons are vet propaganda. CJ

MHWH

Post by MHWH » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:18 am

I have had three male dogs in a row and all stayed intact. I have had no problems. Health
or other wise. You can't let them roam, but why would you.

This link should be read by anyone interested in the subject.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTerm ... InDogs.pdf

Mike

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:14 am

MHWH wrote:I have had three male dogs in a row and all stayed intact. I have had no problems. Health
or other wise. You can't let them roam, but why would you.

This link should be read by anyone interested in the subject.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTerm ... InDogs.pdf

Mike
I agree, there is little reason to nueter when your dogs are taken care of. It reduces the chance of some cancers but increases some othe rproblems. It is nothing more than personal opinion and sadly a lot of those opinions are based on propaganda put out but the animal rights groups and have little to do with facts. Over the years I have only had a couple of females spayed for medical reasons and have only had one case of cancer and that was a female that always had false pregnancies and I wonder if that is connected.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:54 am

There is nothing wrong with neutering if it is something you think is right for your situation. All of mine (11 dogs) are spayed/neutered except for the GSP pup and I will spay her when I think her growth is complete. She's not breeding quality IMO, so I'm spaying her. Not as many great reasons to neuter except, IMO, it does reduce aggressive behaviors and will almost totally eliminate marking if the dog hasn't marked prior to the neuter. There are reasons not to neuter as well - as long as you're aware of the pros and cons, then you're making an informed decision about what's right for you and your situation. Lots of reasons not to do a pediatric spay/neuter if this is your pet/companion dog.

My best hunting buddy lost two female ES's last year to cancer/pyometra. One was an older dog (8-9 I think), the other was a young dog that got mammary cancer. Neither were breeding worthy and both would have lived to this day if they had been spayed - barring any other injury of course. It was a sad deal for him and totally preventable.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:02 am

DougB wrote:
0 . Barring medical problems neccesitating it, I can't think why any sensible responsible dog guy would want to.
Unless you have a stud worth using, why not eliminate the possibility of a sub par litter, or even an average but unwanted litter. If you can guarantee all the offspring get into good homes, fine. If you can not, it is irresponsible to not s/n. Shelters and rescues are full with lots of good dogs, many hunting breeds, and many with papers. No need to breed more just to euthanize. If you doubt this, just log into petfinder and check them out.
Try thinking for yourself, doug, instead of automatically believing what PETA or PETA-influenced people, other poor thinkers or for-sale or brainwashed (frequently female) vets tell you. I'm in charge of my dog's social life and whereabouts, not him. And let's not confuse spaying (which can have definite merit) with de-groining a poor male with a responsible owner, which, barring rare exceptions, has no positives and definite negatives. Two very different situations.
You think he's going to steal your car keys, lift your wallet and go troll for bitches in season on the street corner?

This is just wrong-headed thinking..or non-thinking by the brainwashed.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:28 am

Are women not smart enough to treat or train dogs in your mind? Both your posts in this thread say that.

There's no reason to thnk that Doug gets his opinions from PETA or anywhere else.

For Pete's sake, be civil to people.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:51 am

In Jersey the cost of the neurtering probably comes with 6 months of protection for the dog... :mrgreen:
I paid around $350 for a spay and I thought that was steep, but the next closest vet was 40 miles away and the same price... but we got a microchip, lifetime license and a manicure... :lol: plus my son wants to date the vets daughter so I thought I'd help him out... but fer $788 bucks they had better pick the dog up at the house in a limo! That's just crazy.
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:41 am

bigdaddy wrote:Are women not smart enough to treat or train dogs in your mind? Both your posts in this thread say that.

There's no reason to thnk that Doug gets his opinions from PETA or anywhere else.

For Pete's sake, be civil to people.

His post in response to mine is complete balderdash, and shows a lack of critical thinking skills. I won't address yours, as I wish to be civil.

hunterw/newhobby

Post by hunterw/newhobby » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:55 am

There's a clinic at a no kill shelter outside of a little town north of st joe mo that charges 45ish to neuter and 65ish for spay. Like rooster mom said they probably get more practice than most and they are half the price. i think this shelter gets grant money from somewhere to offset the costs. Not the nicest looking office space, but the last time I checked the couch I sit on when I get there doesn't perform surgery.
Ross

Red

Post by Red » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:50 pm

This thread was about PRICE, I never said I was going to neuter my bird dog... :wink:

yukonjasper

Post by yukonjasper » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:54 am

not an expert here, IMO part of what drives up the cost of the procedure appear to be pre op blood tests, anestesia, etc. etc.

The actual procedure is relatively inexpensive but you pay for the add ons that drive the price up.

I also believe that the price in a nice suburban area is going to be more expensive than a rural area - only because the Vets CAN charge more because the clients don't shop around or don't want to have procedures done at multiple locations - keep the records straight with one vet.

As for the merits of the actual procedure, I'll leave that for you all to discuss.
Spectamur Agendo
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum

crappieguy

Post by crappieguy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:55 pm

I paid all the add ons...blood test; after surgery drip...price $165.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." Benjamin Franklin

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:12 pm

Last dog we had done (male) cost about $275, that was about a year ago. Last female we did was $375. Most expensive one was a female that was an older dog, and she cost $750, mostly because of blood work and prep because of her age. All these dogs were done in NJ. My GSP was spayed in Delaware, and that cost $165 - about half what my vet in NJ would have charged at the time.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:51 pm

I paid 170 for a male , about 4 years ago......North eastern Maryland.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

B&BWeims

Post by B&BWeims » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:25 pm

I had one of my dog's neutered around 6-7 years ago and it was $300 dollars.