Cold Water Tail

High Brass

Cold Water Tail

Post by High Brass » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:41 am

My daughter has a lab that after a swim Sunday had his tail go limp. Could this be what they call cold water tail? If so what can anyone tell me about this condition.
Thanks
Bob
Hard Scrabble Maggie
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"[He] hopes to own a dog that has pointing instinct, and bird-finding brains. The dog that will hunt for you, not the dog you have to hunt for. The better type of English Setter....[is] the dual-type: Which means, the kind that are fit to shoot over in the field on game, and the kind that are fit to look at, or have about the home, the balance of the year and be appreciated."

George H. Ryman
Ryman Gundog Kennels

dog dr

Re: Cold Water Tail

Post by dog dr » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:55 am

NSAIDS and rest. I know, getting a lab to rest his tail is like asking a fish not to swim, but thats what it takes. From what i have seen, it can take a long time to full recovery, too. good luck!

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:00 am

A question for Dogdr; what is the nature of the injury which causes cold water tail?

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:01 am

We call it limber tail up here in the Upper peninsula and happens after swimming in the cold lake, typically. Can be pretty painful at times It is called shrinkage when the men folk swim in that cold water. That can be pretty painful when the girl folks see that.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:13 am

Thanks for your reply Dr. Tim, but I still don't understand how the water temperature causes the tail to become painful and limp. Is the effect vascular? Is there necrosis in the tissue? Is the injury neurological? Are the joints in the tail affected? Why the tail, but not the legs? If NAIDS are indicated, which tissues are inflamed? I appreciated your input and information on the topic, but would like to know more.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:16 am

Water or cold can bring it on, but dogs can get it in summer and dry or anytime.....its a muscle strain/tear and will go away with no treatment although supposedly dogs are more prone to get it after having it once. Water doesn't cause it, swinging a big wet heavy tail can , can also come on from being cramped in a dog box....

I give mine an asprin for a day or two but it goes away on its own.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:13 am

Thanks birddog 1968; great explanation. It all makes perfect sense.

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:32 am

No, it is muscle inflammation at the base of the tail. It comes about 2 ways; swimming in cold water or a dog out on the rain for a period of time. Something occurs with the cold water and the muscles that wag the tail become very inflamed I like to think of the tail as the rudder of the dog, personally. Not neurological as far as I know as it can hurt like the "bleep" when you try to move the tail. We usually give a shot of steroids and a non steroidal type medicine for a week as these dogs hurt and aspirin alone might be too little. Dogs are tougher than us and don't always display pain with out provocation. Very odd thing that happens randomly but no long term affects. Better in about 3 days, don't swim them for a week as it can recur is the recommendation.

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:32 am

Whoops, twice posted
Last edited by dr tim on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:30 pm

I'll bow to your medical knowledge Dr....but it does happen also in NO presence of water as well.....water may help bring it on too but I've had dry dogs come down with it too.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:06 pm

My dog got it once. Duck hunted in the am, then went grouse and woodcock hunting afterwards and he came down with it during the grouse/wc hunt. Gave him some medicam and put him up for a few days and it went away. Tail is good as new, never got it again.

Griffsmom

Post by Griffsmom » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:26 am

Yep my griffon got it once too. No water involved either. He was just working a field full of pheasants and his tail was working like crazy as he was hunting. Noticed he was sore when we got done hunting and bumped into his tail and he cried, but he is kinda a big baby so wrote it off. Got home and he was in terrible pain, took to the vet an put on anti inflammatory and pain killer, gave him a couple weeks off, and back to normal. Hasn't happened again. Time off and quiet will be whats needed.

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:53 am

Only times I have seen it were after swimming, caught in rainstorms and after given a bath and put outside in the cold. I have learned something new today as well and thanks.