Limp Tail or Cold Tail

SGS47

Limp Tail or Cold Tail

Post by SGS47 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:02 am

I am new to this forum, and have had a problem with one of my setters. He appears to have Limp Tail or Cold Tail symptoms that occurred yesterday after running him and working him on a few birds in the cold and rain. When I got him home and out of his crate, his tail was limp after the first couple inches, and I'm sure he didn't injure it. I've given him anti inflammatories and heat packs on the base of his tail, and will try to get him into the vet today. Has anyone had any experience with this, what did you do about it, and what was the healing process like? Anyone have any permanent damage from it ? Thanks.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Limp Tail or Cold Tail

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:08 am

Have you had his anal glands check and/or his Hips and lower x rayed?
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

SGS47

Post by SGS47 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:30 am

His hips have been checked and certified in the past. His anal glands have not been checked. This came on extremely suddenly, within 20 minutes, right after a cold, wet training session. We had just returned home from down south for a while where it was warm, and I was starting to get him ready for an upcoming trial. This morning he was slightly better, and when he was out for his normal morning run around the property, he looked close to normal as he ran , and when he pointed a duck. But once back in the house, it droops again, which never happens when he's normal.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:40 am

I've had several dogs affected. They get over it in a few days. I've given a Rimadyl to the one that has an old hip injury, but other than that, I just let them recover.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:44 am

I had the same symptoms with a pointer last spring. We finished a four-brace NSTRA weekend trial in cold and wet conditions, and I loaded the dog in his box for the six-hour drive home. Stopped after a few hours to water him and air him out a bit, his tail was hanging limp and obviously very painful. A few days on Rymadel (sp?) and he was fine.

No problems since.....