First Aid

pudeltopointer

First Aid

Post by pudeltopointer » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:57 pm

Just seeing what you all recomend i pack for a first aid kit i live in north caroline so there is a good chance of coming across a rattler what do you all recomend?

brad27

Re: First Aid

Post by brad27 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:41 pm

pudeltopointer wrote:Just seeing what you all recomend i pack for a first aid kit i live in north caroline so there is a good chance of coming across a rattler what do you all recomend?

Have your dog snake broke.

Benny

Post by Benny » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:06 am

if that's the case you should consider the vaccines as well. breaking your dog of snakes is great, and should be done so it's not a provoked attack, but when a upland dog runs it does so with little consideration of what's underneath it's feet...snakes don't take kindly to that and it could be too late before the dog knows what happened.

Other than that, vet wrap, vet wrap, more vet wrap, a maxi-pad (incredible bandage!), small tube of anti-biotic ointment, and more vet wrap.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Angus

Post by Angus » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:24 am

eyewash, self adhesive bandages, gauze, good multi tool, small flashlight, saline solution, little bit of apple cider vinegar.

I had a catfish stick a lab a few years back and the barb broke off under the skin on the dogs leg. I held him down, and used my multi tool to cut the skin a little near the enterance and used the pliers to pull the barb out. It was over 3" long. Not sure i could've gotten it out without having that multi tool along and the barb would have had longer to sit in there and fester until i could get to the 24hr emergency clinic. Porcupine quills are tough as well and pliers are nice to have.