butt licker problem solved?

Benny

butt licker problem solved?

Post by Benny » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:06 am

Hey All,
I had posted about my dog's obsession with her rear-end from time to time. It had subsided for a bit but then has come back in force.

Vet said there's an excessive flap of skin that covers the vulva, causing irritation and inflammation, which this time led to an infection as well. I asked if it was because she was spayed at such a young age (before I got her) and he said it's a frequent discussion but no real science for it yet as to why.

What worried me is he explained it could lead to a cosmetic surgery later on if it persists and returns. Anyone had to deal with this on their dog?
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: butt licker problem solved?

Post by wems2371 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:32 am

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ins-outs.html

Is my link something similar to what your vet explained? My younger female was a bit of an innie, and had a few UTI's as a pup, probably under the age of 6 months. She wasn't spayed and hasn't had a problem since puppyhood.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:45 pm

I've never heard of such a thing Bennie.I googled it and was amazed at the number of links.

http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=na ... lllllllll0
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Benny

Post by Benny » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:29 pm

I honestly hadn't either. I looked at Wem's link and got some solid info off there as well. It does sound like early spay could be related to the problem when dogs are born with that redundant skin flap. If she had had her first heat and then been spayed it would have possibly prevented it.

Really I'm just wondering if anyone had that problem and DIDN'T end up getting the cosmetic surgery to permanently fix the problem. The vet said it could never come back after the antibiotics run their course, but there's a likely chance it will since it's a permanent feature that's causing the bacteria buildup.

I read some interesting ways of prevention after treatment to reduce the possible infections, but I would rather pay the money to get that surgery than have such intimate moments with my dog :evil:
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:21 pm

ROFLMBO too much
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett