Knee problems

ToddW7

Knee problems

Post by ToddW7 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:42 pm

I have a ten month old Brittany. Lately her knee caps on the back legs pop out of place once or twice a week. The vet says it is a grade 1 out 4 grade (4 worse). Vet says she still has some growing to do, so maybe she will grow out of it, but more than likely will require knee surgery down the road. He says it is not likely caused by trauma since it is both back knees.

Anyone else dealt with knee problems? Any advice?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Knee problems

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:51 pm

Do you have a 2 year health guarantee on the pup? They are given for this very type of situation.( Also as hip dysplasia can't really be diagnosed until 2 years of age.) I'd be talking to the breeder. This is unacceptable.
Some links that may help:
http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=na ... lllllllll0
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ToddW7

Post by ToddW7 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:06 pm

Thank you for the links, I now understand what my vet told me better. It is not as easy as the two year guarantee. I have two young daughters and the dog is the family pet. After eight months of working with the dog she is coming along nicely. The article I found from your link gives me more confidence that this situation is not a lost cause, just a costly inconvenience. She has been fixed so no risk of passing along this problem.

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:37 pm

Our 8 year old as a knee that pops out. I have a vet whose partner who is vet bone surgeon. He looked at our dog and basically said until it becomes a problem with pain not to worry about that. It has been 2 years and I probably wouldn't have eve noticed it had my regular vet not pointed it out. I guess this is a real problem with little fu-fu dogs so the surgeon gets lots of practice. But for now, he is OK. I suspect it is a genetic defect.