Paranoid Pup Owner?

proudag08

Paranoid Pup Owner?

Post by proudag08 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:23 pm

OK ladies and gents, I need to know if I am just being paranoid or if this is something I need to take action on.

My 3.5 month old GSP has thrown up 3 times today. The first two times were early this morning and the 3rd time was just 5 minutes ago (7:45pm).

The first one I think was because he ate some pretty big chunks of his Nylabone. The second time was only a couple minutes after the first and was only bile.

We took him to the vet this morning because he was getting his rabies shot and 3rd round of boosters. This afternoon he got into an old light fixture that we had on the ground and ate a quarter sized piece of the "quasi-insulation" that was in the fixture.

He was his energetic and happy self all day and even in the evening. After his dinner he was running around a lot outside playing. Then without warning, no gagging or other noises, I almost stepped in a huge pile of throw up. It was all his dinner and it was mostly still whole.

My question is could the quarter sized piece of "insulation" (I'm not sure thats what it was) cause a blockage? He has a habit of burping and hiccups after he eats, do you think he just burped his dinner up? Am I being paranoid or should I take him to the vet?

wberry85

Re: Paranoid Pup Owner?

Post by wberry85 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:45 pm

I would let it go until he throws up again. If he has a obstruction he will not be able to eat or drink without throwing up.

I dont know what a vet would tell you at this point...

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:46 pm

. After his dinner he was running around a lot outside playing.
This might be the problem.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:03 pm

How long have you had your pup?
What exactly do you feed him, brand and formula?
How much at each meal are you feeding? Do you measure using a real measuring cup?

If he has a sensitive stomach anything strange he eats could cause him to throw up. You have to watch pups like you would a baby. Out of your site they are usually in trouble.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:17 pm

Very hard for even a vet to figure out why a dog is throwing up.

It's a matter of ruling things out. Dogs throw up for no reason too - from experience.
I would get an ultrasound done first to see if something actually is stuck somewhere.
If it proves negative then do some thinking about the food.
Start with the vet if pup is still throwing up.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:17 pm

If a foreign object blocks the pyloric valve, vomiting will occur. Sounds like you've got quite a little garbage disposal on your hands with that pup.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:48 pm

brad27 wrote:
. After his dinner he was running around a lot outside playing.
This might be the problem.

Very bad idea......

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:55 am

Buy a crate and put the dog in it when you can't supervise it.

You might want to get a pan to put the food in or a special bowl. He's not chewing his food and its causing him to throw up ( happened with my smaller dog also) .

After food is bed time... never let a puppy have a hay day in the house and back yard unless you want to pay the vet bills.

wberry85

Post by wberry85 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:56 am

How is he this morning?

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:01 am

He has been eating and drinking and even going to the bathroom. He threw up a little this morning but not a lot... But he ate all his breakfast, I put it on a plate to try and spread it out and he still sucked it up like a vacuum. I went duck hunting this morning and the wife said he was acting like he didn't feel good. Still stumped... Is there anything Incan give him that might settle his stomach?

rinker

Post by rinker » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:25 am

"We took him to the vet this morning because he was getting his rabies shot and 3rd round of boosters"

I have seen dogs act a little lethargic for a few days after this.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:10 pm

What did the vet say about the throwing up?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

wberry85

Post by wberry85 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:23 pm

rinker wrote:"We took him to the vet this morning because he was getting his rabies shot and 3rd round of boosters"

I have seen dogs act a little lethargic for a few days after this.
Mine was pitiful. Try putting pressure where he had the shot and see if he reacts. Mine had a sore rear end for a couple days after and was not very active. No vomiting though.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:41 pm

His vomiting stopped this morning... he has eatin well today, gone potty twice, and was playful! Seems to me like a little stomach bug of sorts.

On another note I have noticed that he eats SO FAST. I tried spreading it on a plate. I tried elevating it. I tried feeding a little at a time. And finally had to feed him 4 kibbles at a time to get him to chew.

Any other ideas on how to slow him down on eating? Thanks!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Kong Wobbler.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

wberry85

Post by wberry85 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:30 pm

They make special bowls to slow down feeding.

http://www.wrexhamdogkennels.co.uk/dog- ... s-shop.php

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:25 pm

If you search google.com you can look up "brake-fast". Those are the bowls made for fast eaters.

I think it was a reaction to the shots he got. I never mix anything with Rabies. The 7:1 yearly vaccine is bad enough for some dogs. Just something to remember.

How old is he? What brand / formula are you feeding and how much per meal?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:12 pm

MikeB wrote:If you search google.com you can look up "brake-fast". Those are the bowls made for fast eaters.

I think it was a reaction to the shots he got. I never mix anything with Rabies. The 7:1 yearly vaccine is bad enough for some dogs. Just something to remember.

How old is he? What brand / formula are you feeding and how much per meal?
Sounds quite normal to me. Typical puppy. The crate is a good idea if there is stuff he can get into. Think you just saw the reaction to the shot and I sure wouldn't worry about it but just be watchful. As far as eating too fast not sure what too fast is but if you want to slow him down just put a good sized rock in his dish and he has to eat around it. Heck of a lot cheaper than all the junk you can buy and works just as good and usually a whole lot longer.

Paranoid Pup Owner-----maybe but it is good to be observant but remember you have a pup that will eat most anything it can find and rarely does it eat anything it can't handle inless you are leaving things lay around it can get to. Enjoy.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.