Reverse Sneezing

desertcountrygsp

Reverse Sneezing

Post by desertcountrygsp » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:49 pm

Have any of you guys ever heard of Reverse Sneezing in dogs? I have been doing a bunch of surfing the net trying to find out why my GSP is having some weird breathing issues. It started about 4 months ago and really isnt bad, but its more annoying than anything. Here is what he is doing. You can kinda hear his breathing and see his chest as he breathes. It seems like he is having an asthma attack but its not all the time or predictable.

http://youtu.be/HPmChu7J-YM

We are going to the vet on tuesday, but I wanted to see if anyone has ever had the same issue with their dog too.

fishpond

Re: Reverse Sneezing

Post by fishpond » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:39 pm

I first came accross this with one of my last GSPs that made it 15 yrs. Vet called it reverse sneezing and just blew it off. It never seemed to bother the dog much. I now have a 3 GSPs and my 3 yr old female has it. Same vet just doesn't think much of it, but this dog seems to be a bit freaked out out when it happens. Doesn't last long but its evident she don't like it.
Long and short, doesn't seem to be a thing.

jasonw99

Post by jasonw99 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:39 am

it was a form of kennel cough I'm not a vet but something gets inflamed and it makes them do it. gave him some pills and it went away.

the reverse sneezing my dog had was different than the video.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:47 am

desertcountrygsp wrote:Have any of you guys ever heard of Reverse Sneezing in dogs? I have been doing a bunch of surfing the net trying to find out why my GSP is having some weird breathing issues. It started about 4 months ago and really isnt bad, but its more annoying than anything. Here is what he is doing. You can kinda hear his breathing and see his chest as he breathes. It seems like he is having an asthma attack but its not all the time or predictable.

http://youtu.be/HPmChu7J-YM

We are going to the vet on tuesday, but I wanted to see if anyone has ever had the same issue with their dog too.
Our vet called it "reverse sneeze too", but in essence I think it's more like post nasal drip. IOW, our dog has allergies.

During certain times of the year we have to give him some benedryl twice a day. It seems to clear up the problem.

Disclaimer: I am not a vet, don't play one on tv or on the Internet, and haven't slept in a Holiday Inn Express in years. :wink:
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:17 am

I have seen all my dogs do that but instead of one or two, it is a series of about 10 without stopping. I know the little Britt has allergies. It is very disconcerting. It seems to pass without lasting effects after a few days. At least now I know what it is called.

desertcountrygsp

Post by desertcountrygsp » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:03 pm

Went to the vet. Based on symptoms, its reverse sneezing more than likely caused by seasonal allergies. Vet told me to give him some benadryl if it lasts for a while. Since I never know when its going to happen, its tough to know when to give the medicine. But all looks well with him. Even his knee has healed up nicely. All is well is shorthair land! Thanks for the info guys.

John-It seems to happen with my pup when it started to get cold. I was at my inlaws in Eagar when I heard it for the first time about 3 months ago. Is your britts the same way?

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:48 pm

It seems very sporatic with my dogs and I have never been able to correlate the event with dust/pollen/grass or temperature. I'm just glad it is not seizures! Scares the "bleep" out of me when I have had it happen.

GSP 4 me

Post by GSP 4 me » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:42 am

My GSP does this reverse sneezing thing too. It will just happen spontaneously, but it eventually goes away on its own. It may last for a few seconds or for several minutes, but I think the dog frightens himself and makes the "sneezing" worse. Not fun to watch him go through it. My vet wasn't concerned about it when I described it to him several years ago. Thanks for posting the video...great looking GSP you have there.

desertcountrygsp

Post by desertcountrygsp » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:14 pm

Thanks GSP. This is my best buddy so every little thing gets to me. You guys know where Im coming from 8)