Canine Meningitis

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Canine Meningitis

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:55 pm

HELP! Anybody ever dealt with this? My sister's one-year old GSP has been diagnosed with meningitis. Just wondered what the survival rate is... and anything else anyone might have had personal experience with.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: Canine Meningitis

Post by wems2371 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:21 pm

I have to ask a friend to be sure, but I'm almost positive this is what her dog was diagnosed with about a year ago. It was a long haul, but he's off all meds now and looking super. I'll get back to you as soon as I can confirm.

Here is what my friend got back to me with:
J. had Steroid Responsive Meningitis. It was diagnosed by a spinal tap at Iowa State University.
The doctor was Dr. Nicholas Jeffery. He told me it has a good survival rate with the proper treatment.

You will remember J. had to take very high doses of Prednisone. We did two rounds and the second round he had to also take an immune suppressive drug for the full time of the Prednisone and for 6 weeks after.

One caution . . . if they give lower doses of Prednisone before the real treatment starts it can slow the effect of the treatment. In other words go with the big doses as soon as they think that is what the dog has.

Then he came down with Lymes.

I wish them the best.
Last edited by wems2371 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M1Tanker

Re: Canine Meningitis

Post by M1Tanker » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:46 pm

I know someone who had a GSP pup that contracted this at about the same age. It was at least a year of on and off meds (Prednisone) but the dog recovered and is no worse for the wear.