Dog swallowed rubber toy

t-setter

Dog swallowed rubber toy

Post by t-setter » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:08 pm

When I came home from work tonight, my wife told me my 18-month-old setter swallowed a rubber toy. I don't know what you call this toy, but it's squishy, filled with air and contains a ball that lights up inside. Although I didn't see this toy, my wife said the ball is about the size of a golf ball. The toy itself is about the size of a tennis ball. She believes the dog swallowed it whole. Obviously I'm concerned about this object passing through his system. It's been nearly 12 hours since the incident occurred, and so far the dog is showing no signs of problems. What kind of outcomes can I expect from this?

sully511

Re: Dog swallowed rubber toy

Post by sully511 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:36 pm

You want to watch for vomiting and lots of it. They can't hold down food and a lot of times water either when they have an obstruction. If vomiting starts, I would get to a vet for an x-ray, other that that, if you don't notice any problems, then I personally wouldn't worry too much.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:35 am

If it were my dog it would be going to the vet for xrays today unless you find little pieces of the toy indicating it was chewed up then swallowed. By the time it's vomiting, there's trouble. Surgery for an obstruction has a way better chance of a successful outcome if it's caught before the dog is in distress. Yep, the xray visit will cost you, and maybe 'for nothing', but if you've ever seen a dog suffer and even die from an obstruction you'd go in a heartbeat.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:51 am

totally agree with above

wberry85

Post by wberry85 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:37 am

Yep I would be making it to the vet asap.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:16 pm

shags wrote:If it were my dog it would be going to the vet for xrays today unless you find little pieces of the toy indicating it was chewed up then swallowed. By the time it's vomiting, there's trouble. Surgery for an obstruction has a way better chance of a successful outcome if it's caught before the dog is in distress. Yep, the xray visit will cost you, and maybe 'for nothing', but if you've ever seen a dog suffer and even die from an obstruction you'd go in a heartbeat.

Totally agree. Don't wait until disaster strikes. If the dog doesn't poop it out, then it can't poop.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

t-setter

Post by t-setter » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Thanks for all of the advice. Chase was not showing any distress yet this morning, but based on input here, decided to take him to the vets. After an x-ray, vet recommended surgery to remove the toy. The toy has been removed, and I can pick up my dog on Saturday. Thanks again.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:32 pm

Only big Nylabones for that pooch now.... :D

sully511

Post by sully511 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:37 pm

I'm glad you took him in and they got the toy removed. I've been a vet tech for 11 years, so I don't get worried as quickly as some and would have waited until the vomiting started. I wish him a speedy recovery!

t-setter

Post by t-setter » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:41 pm

Now, for the rest of the story.... Chase underwent surgery to remove the child's toy had eaten, which was basically an inflated, soft rubber pom-pom type ball about the size of a tennis ball that contained a smaller hard plastic light-up ball inside. When he was operated on two weeks ago, they only found the hard light-up ball (about the size of a golf ball) inside of him. That was successfully removed. Unfortunately, the did not find, nor did the x-rays show the rubber component that had originally encased the light-up ball. Surgery went well; Chase was doing fine and fully recovered from the surgery. Then on Monday of this week, I came home from work, and Chase started vomitting. And he kept on vomitting for hours. I assumed it was a blockage from the rubber part of the toy, so called the vets, and back to the animal hospital he went on Tuesday morning. More x-rays, etc., and the vet assumed he had pancreatitis, despite my repeated assertion that he had not passed the rubber part of the toy that we knew he had eaten. He was put on IV fluids and monitored. Vet felt everything was progressing fine through his system, though he hadn't had a stool since Monday night. On Wednesday, vet called to tell me Chase's fever had subsided but he was still refusing to eat food. This morning, vet called and said Chase was doing well, he was back to his hyper, animated self and had begun eating again. Relief! I would be able to pick him up as soon as the vet's office could get a stool sample from him. Later this afternoon, the vet left a message to report some good news -- I could take Chase home. Then, with a bit of sheepishness, he added that Chase had passed a big, green rubber knobby object this afternoon! He had eaten the thing two weeks ago yesterday. Cant' wait to get my boy back home tomorrow. Unfortunately for him, I'm going to have to leave him at home so I can go chase some grouse.
Last edited by t-setter on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:43 pm

Very glad to hear it "worked out". Now you have a $2000.00 dog. :) ( I've got a $700.00 cat.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:59 pm

WOW, my 2nd biggest fear (1st is having my dog eatin by a cougar).

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:58 am

isonychia wrote:WOW, my 2nd biggest fear (1st is having my dog eatin by a cougar).

Thank God I don't have that fear. :) Coyotes are the only fear up here.