First Aid

laxhcky4

First Aid

Post by laxhcky4 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:22 pm

I know there are a ton of topics on dog first aid but I have a couple of specific questions I am looking for more in depth answers.

1) Last week I was out hunting and we had 2 dogs get into Porcupines. We pulled all visible quills and kept checking them to see if any others had surfaced. Is it necessary to get the dog to the vet? How do you know if you should take the dog in?

2) what would a vet do when you bring them in to ensure they get the quills? xray or something?

3) we had some Amoxicillin so we started the dogs on that. Is there any over the counter antibiotic you can buy? Would a vet be able to get it for you for a first aid kit? Do you have to take the dog in after an event happens to get it?

4) I'm sure I can just ask a vet but what is the correct dose for a ~50lb dog?

5) what good first aid books can you reccomend. If you were to have to choose one to buy and bring with, which one?

Thanks!

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Re: First Aid

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:27 am

i bought this book on the forum..
http://www.gundogsonline.com/dog-first- ... dbook.html

as far as for the quills if it were my dog i would take it to the vet but thats just what I would do, i would want to make sure the vet feels around to see if theres any others in there and make sure they didnt migrate to other areas and cause infection ect.. it would be up to you if you want them to xray or not depending on the vets advice and your wallet :wink: ..also the vet would give the dog(s) a shot for inflammation which would be necessary i would think, amoxicillin is an antibiotic but may not be the one the vet chooses to give they may choose something stronger or one more suited for what they find in the exam..im not sure about over the counter antibiotics but you could ask the vet all about it if you were to go to him/her and get a plan of action that they recommend if it ever happens again that would be best for your dog or your friends dogs, again jmo..good luck...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: First Aid

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:17 pm

This answer was cut and pasted from 1800PetMeds.com. Although I strongly recommend you speak with your veterinarian before administering any type of medications to your pets.

"Amoxicillin is a broad-spectrum penicillin antibiotic used to treat various infections caused by susceptible strains of bacteria. It is available as 100mg and 400mg tablets, 250mg and 500mg capsules and as drops containing 50mg/1ml. The usual dose for dogs and cats is 5-10mg/pound given by mouth every 12 to 24 hours. The duration of treatment depends on the cause of the disease and the response to treatment. When water is added to reconstitute the drops, the product should be stored in the refrigerator and any unused portion should be discarded after 14 days. (Sold per capsule)"

http://www.ehow.co.uk/about_5233429_amo ... -dogs.html
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett