Anyone here feed Loyall and River Run?

NJGriffNut

Anyone here feed Loyall and River Run?

Post by NJGriffNut » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:37 pm

Thanks to the lack of regulation, those bags will now be filled with the 36 million pounds of recalled ground Turkey meat. Naturally, Cargill will be recycling these recalled, likely unrefrigerated (many months now) contaminated bits into your bags under "meat meal", and "poultry by products".

I'm assuming Ezzy will surely say these are good practices, and that the bacteria will benefit your dog and he'll be able to run longer and jump higher.

:)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Anyone here feed Loyall and River Run?

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Let me get this straight, you think it would be smarter to throw 39 million lbs of meat away and not use it because it might contain salmonella which if cooked will have no effect on dogs rather than use it? No wonder we are in trouble!!!

Such waste explains a lot of where we have gone astray. Regulations are in place and thankfully are based on common sense in this case. But I have no idea if that meat will be used but sure hope so. Would be a terrible expense and waste if it isn't. Cooked and dried into meal and it is as safe as it could be for animal feed.

Ezzy PS Wonder if it could be used for turkey hotdogs and save our dogs?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

NJGriffNut

Post by NJGriffNut » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:12 pm

While you call it a terrible waste, I would call it responsible practices. Such is the difference between us. I would expect a company to destroy these contaminated remains, and not push them off into pet food under such hideous swiss cheese regulations and definitions.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:00 pm

Sounds like Nutrena is being sensible, and Ezzy appears to be correct.

It also appears that some look for any excuse to critcize our good commercial dog feed manufactuters. Not sure why. I believe in safety and high ingredient quality just like anyone.
big steve

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:05 pm

To be honest so long as the meat was stored properly during the recall it would be a waste not to use it. I doubt Cargill would actually use meat that been left at room temperature, in the summer no less, for "months".

I feed a bunch of raw green tripe and actually let it ferment in the fridge a bit more.

I don't see how this turkey could be of any harm.

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:10 pm

If i had some in my refrigerator and it go recalled, I would just feed it to my personal hunting dogs (not my clients). A dog will eat a dead racoon that has been bloated on the road for 3 days. Why in the world do I care that it goes in dog food? Atleast the dog food company will cook it to a high temp and kill all the bacteria. The meat just needs to be cooked well, and I would eat it.

I probably ate worse in a few of the countries the militarty sent me too. A little dog saliva can steralize anything.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:13 pm

Yeah lets take a good name and use a product that will be a hazzard to a dog :roll:

My Lord ...I will continue to feed Loyall My dogs do extremely well on it they eat better then I do Heck I have even seen Big Steve eat stuff that was questionable :lol:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:15 pm

I ate live sushi a few weeks back, was amazing. First time I ever had sushi cut from a flapping fish.

Dogs benefit from a good dose of bacteria in the gut. I am convinced.

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:16 pm

The recall is for fresh and frozen ground turkey products that were manufactured out of 1 plant from Feb. 20 through Aug. 2. The article I read stated that because the recall goes back so far, much of the meat has probably already been consumed.

I would imagine that most consumers will either throw away the meat or return the meat to the place of purchase. I wonder what the retailers do with the recalled ground turkey?

36 million pounds is a lot. But how much of that is really left? And how much of that is actually tainted with salmonella?

-Hondo

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:37 pm

Gotta admit im guilty of cooking meat for the dogs here that has expired cause i never got around to cooking it for us, i even feed moldy bread to the birds outside :oops: :lol: ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:10 pm

NJGriffNut wrote:Thanks to the lack of regulation, those bags will now be filled with the 36 million pounds of recalled ground Turkey meat. Naturally, Cargill will be recycling these recalled, likely unrefrigerated (many months now) contaminated bits into your bags under "meat meal", and "poultry by products".

I'm assuming Ezzy will surely say these are good practices, and that the bacteria will benefit your dog and he'll be able to run longer and jump higher.

:)
Bla-bla-bla. :roll:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:21 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Yeah lets take a good name and use a product that will be a hazzard to a dog :roll:

My Lord ...I will continue to feed Loyall My dogs do extremely well on it they eat better then I do Heck I have even seen Big Steve eat stuff that was questionable :lol:

Good comments! Did we ever figure out what that "black mystery meat" was at that NSTRA banquet? :lol:
big steve

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:48 pm

I absolutely cannot comprehend that anyone, in this day and age, would recomend that 39 million pounds of ANYTHING, not be recycled into something useful. That is absurd.

I wonder how many folk who feed their dogs a raw food diet wash their hands for the full fifteen to twenty seconds it takes to be certain to kill or remove pathogens from them before they handle the food? Betcha just about as many as put on rubber gloves .

I wonder how many folks who feed their dog a raw food diet store, mix and serve their dogs in approved stainless steel bowls,and use approved stainless steel or plastic mixing implements, spoons, forks and ladles that have been washed and subsequently stored in a clean germ free storage area? Hmmmm.

I wonder how many folks who feed their dogs a diet of cooked meats actually use a thermometer to determing if all parts of the item being cooked are at or above the correct temperature for the correct amount of time to effectively pasteurize the item?

RayG

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:20 pm

mcbosco wrote:To be honest so long as the meat was stored properly during the recall it would be a waste not to use it. I doubt Cargill would actually use meat that been left at room temperature, in the summer no less, for "months".

I feed a bunch of raw green tripe and actually let it ferment in the fridge a bit more.

I don't see how this turkey could be of any harm.
I agree with you and Ezzy, and the rest of the rational voices in here.

The bold was my first thought. I've had to pull my dogs off stuff far worse than some turkey that may have salmonella. They are all just fine.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:44 pm

big steve46 wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:Yeah lets take a good name and use a product that will be a hazzard to a dog :roll:

Good comments! Did we ever figure out what that "black mystery meat" was at that NSTRA banquet? :lol:
Maybe it was that new BARF diet
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

NJGriffNut

Post by NJGriffNut » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:10 pm

RayGubernat wrote:I absolutely cannot comprehend that anyone, in this day and age, would recomend that 39 million pounds of ANYTHING, not be recycled into something useful. That is absurd.

I wonder how many folk who feed their dogs a raw food diet wash their hands for the full fifteen to twenty seconds it takes to be certain to kill or remove pathogens from them before they handle the food? Betcha just about as many as put on rubber gloves .

I wonder how many folks who feed their dog a raw food diet store, mix and serve their dogs in approved stainless steel bowls,and use approved stainless steel or plastic mixing implements, spoons, forks and ladles that have been washed and subsequently stored in a clean germ free storage area? Hmmmm.

I wonder how many folks who feed their dogs a diet of cooked meats actually use a thermometer to determing if all parts of the item being cooked are at or above the correct temperature for the correct amount of time to effectively pasteurize the item?

RayG
the responsible ones? you guys and your turn of the century thinking will lead to more dogs dying from unnecessary reasons. history repeats itself if not corrected. morons.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:40 pm

NJGriffNut wrote:
the responsible ones? you guys and your turn of the century thinking will lead to more dogs dying from unnecessary reasons. history repeats itself if not corrected. morons.
Wouldn't "turn of the century thinking" imply that their thinking is pretty up date, it is only 2011?

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:49 am

nikegundog wrote:
NJGriffNut wrote:
Wouldn't "turn of the century thinking" imply that their thinking is pretty up date, it is only 2011?
Excellent point.

OP- Insulting people is not a good way to sway them to your way of thinking...
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

NJGriffNut

Post by NJGriffNut » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:10 am

Yea, not this century "bleep" retards. Your stance on big pet food, and big farm, and grain, and by products, and 4 d animals, and recalled food, and euthanized pets, and pentobarbital is all eerily clear the way you stand. I couldn't convince them to think like I do. The way they think is irresponsible, and they are the ones who will have tens of thousands of more pets dying in vain because they simply don't care what goes into their pet food or how it is treated and processed.

That much I know. Continue living in the dark.

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:30 am

What evidence of thousands of pets dying are you refering too. The only oraganization killing thousands of pets each years is PETA and HSUS. They kill them after they feed them for 30-days. Glad you cursed in your post. You will surely be banned.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:36 am

NJGriffNut wrote:Yea, not this century 'bleep' retards. Your stance on big pet food, and big farm, and grain, and by products, and 4 d animals, and recalled food, and euthanized pets, and pentobarbital is all eerily clear the way you stand. I couldn't convince them to think like I do. The way they think is irresponsible, and they are the ones who will have tens of thousands of more pets dying in vain because they simply don't care what goes into their pet food or how it is treated and processed.

Wow and some people thought I was extreme. Most of what you say is not true for the foods people use on this forum. Even the less expensive ones like Sportmix are made by reputable companies under there own brand. The makers of SportMix also make Earthborn.

You might be right about grocery store brands. Even if that turkey made it back into the food there is no harm.

By the way, if you feed Orijen, and I suspect you do, Champion has had at least 4 recalls and many pets in Australia died eating Orijen & Acana and the company was not forthright about it in my opinion. Importation of some Acana foods was stopped recently after testing positive for Salmonella. Champion also is the only company I know that put BSE postive cattle into pet food.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:50 am

NJ GrifNut

After recieving a PM that was well laced wih bleeps and reading your post on this topic I have come to the conclusion that the only accurate thing you have posted is your name.

You know this forum was started to give people a place to learn from others what works when owning and training your gun dogs. And it has worked wonderfully though we occasionally do run into someone that is sure they know more than anyone else and let that get in their way as far as learning goes. My backwoods intellect along with it seems every other "morons" on the board seem to be able to understand the difference between a human and a dog and are able to accept the responsibility of caring for those dogs in a manner that agrees with the dog. And though many of us are backwoods by choice that does not mean we are stupid since we went to the same schools as your special friends, taught at the schools you and your friends went to, and some of us have worked in areas that let us learn even more about out dogs through research and experience. And the nice thing is we are willing to try and teach those who have not had the chance to get the education or experience many of us have. It is just too bad you can't remove that chip off of your shoulder and approach some of these areas with an open mind and a little common sense. But that is up to you since you are the only one that has control of that chip that just might be a great big log from the way you address your fellow dog owners.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:42 pm

ezzy333 wrote:NJ GrifNut

After recieving a PM that was well laced wih bleeps and reading your post on this topic I have come to the conclusion that the only accurate thing you have posted is your name.
I was thinking the same thing! :lol:

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:20 pm

NJGriffNut wrote:Yea, not this century "bleep" retards. Your stance on big pet food, and big farm, and grain, and by products, and 4 d animals, and recalled food, and euthanized pets, and pentobarbital is all eerily clear the way you stand. I couldn't convince them to think like I do. The way they think is irresponsible, and they are the ones who will have tens of thousands of more pets dying in vain because they simply don't care what goes into their pet food or how it is treated and processed.

NJGriffNut,

I don't understand why you have to go on a diatribe and disrespect the various forum members because they do not agree with you. :( Insulting people because "you 'couldn't convince them to think like' you do" is no reason at all. I think the resistance you are experiencing from other forum members, is that you make these sensationalistic commments without presenting any facts to backup what you say. The members of this forum are all members precisely because they DO care about their dogs. The manner in which you attack and insult people on this board will never earn you any respect or credibility.

I find it interesting that you have only been a member since July and yet you feel like you can berate, belittle, and bully other forum members because their opinions, experiences, ideas, etc. differ from yours.

I live in the Silicon Valley area of California and do not have any other agendas other than learning as much as I can in regards to training and hunting with my lab.

I feed Loyall Active Adult. It may not be the best food on the market,but my dog does well on it. I find it very unlikely that all these dog food manufacturers and their shareholders have some kind of hidden agenda to kill all our pets. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

It seems that since you became a member of this board, you have been fixated on the "health and nutrition" section. Specifically, commercial dog food. Why not participate in some of the other areas. You will find that most of the members are active hunters and/or field trialers and also visit the othe sections either to ask and/or answer questions.

I hope that you take what I have written in the spirit that it is intended.

I would surmise that if you continue to treat others the way you have, you will soon be removed from membership on this board.

-Hondo

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:22 pm

It seems that since you became a member of this board, you have been fixated on the "health and nutrition" section. Specifically, commercial dog food. Why not participate in some of the other areas. You will find that most of the members are active hunters and/or field trialers and also visit the othe sections either to ask and/or answer questions.
Exactly!!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:37 pm

mcbosco wrote:I ate live sushi a few weeks back, was amazing. First time I ever had sushi cut from a flapping fish.

What you call sushi we call bait in these parts....fish should be battered and fried! :D
I feed Loyall and so does my trainer....no plans on switching! Have seen dogs that eat out of a cats litter box like its a candy tray, don't think the turkey will hurt any real dog!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:00 pm

Onk wrote:
mcbosco wrote:I ate live sushi a few weeks back, was amazing. First time I ever had sushi cut from a flapping fish.

What you call sushi we call bait in these parts....fish should be battered and fried! :D
I feed Loyall and so does my trainer....no plans on switching! Have seen dogs that eat out of a cats litter box like its a candy tray, don't think the turkey will hurt any real dog!
:lol: thats funny, my dogs can find rabbit turds like they are truffles, if only i could get paid for the ones they find and eat id be rich :D ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:09 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:
Onk wrote:

:lol: thats funny, my dogs can find rabbit turds like they are truffles, if only i could get paid for the ones they find and eat id be rich :D ...ruth

Ruth -

My guys all have a powerful desire for horse apples...especially the fresh juicy ones. I don't mind so much, except when the want to come up afterwards and give me a big wet kiss. :lol: :lol:

Not to worry though. Rabbit turds and horse apples are about as "natural" as you can get. Both are essentially "recycled" grass. What could be better??

That "natural" and "organic" BS that we are constantly bombarded with is positively hilarious to me. I am quites sure that there are some producers who strive to meet the true meaning of the words "natural" and "organic", they are most definitely in the minority.

The vast majority of those who claim to be "green" or "organic" or " natural" are doing so within the narrow confines of the legally accepted definitions of those words. JUST within. The only reason most folks are claiming those attributes is because, by claiming their product is "organic" or "natural" , they can charge more.

If you look at the legal definitions, you might be seriously shocked and begin to realize what a scam it all really is. We have an "organic" dairy farm nearby. The operator milks 200 head and the total size of the farm is about fifty acres. Virtually everything the cows need to eat has to be trucked in from somewhere. The feed and forage he buys is from "certified " organic producers and while they are on his farm, the cows are maintained in conformance with "organic" requirements. But there is no way he knows, for certain, if the hay that he was deliverd was raised in conformance with "organic" regulations or if the feed he was deliverd was truly manufactured in conformance with "organic" regulations. Hay bales do not come with UPC stickers and neither does anmal feed that is deliverd in bulk or in plain brown kraft paper bags. There is also no way he knows how the cows were raised before he bought them and brought them onto his farm.

But since it is all "certified organic' he can get a premium price for his milk. I don't blame him one bit for gettng everything he can for his product. However, even if this producer was complying with all the regulations and had all the proper certificates...it is still baloney and just another marketing gimmick.

RayG

LincolnAlexander

Post by LincolnAlexander » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:04 pm

Hondo wrote: I feed Loyall Active Adult. It may not be the best food on the market,but my dog does well on it. I find it very unlikely that all these dog food manufacturers and their shareholders have some kind of hidden agenda to kill all our pets. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.
I have tried feeding Pro Plan, Orijen, Acana, Raw... I currently feed Loyall... not because I think it is the best food, but because my dog does extremely well on it, and because I have seen a number of other dogs do extremely well on it, including an 11 year old you would think is 5, and pregnant and whelping bitches. Not to be rude, but I am going to base what I feed my dog on the results I see, not the opinion of one person, especially when no real evidence is provided.

EDIT: To clarify, I quoted your post because I agree with you Hondo :)
Last edited by LincolnAlexander on Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
CanCH Stonepoint's the Missing Link FD, RDX, V (Lincoln)
NorthLink Mattie's Bayou Shade NAVHDA NAII (108) (Shade)
NorthLink's Shaken Not Stirred NAVHDA NAI (112) (Olive)
http://www.northlinkweimaraners.com

bossman

Post by bossman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:14 pm

Hey, njgriffnut..I'm into your reverse psychology! While I don't currently feed it, seeing so many people that do and the high satisfaction level, I just may have to give it a try. You sneaky devil. Pretty clever way to get us to try Loyall !! :D