GSP Limping

Fish 4-5

GSP Limping

Post by Fish 4-5 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:35 am

Wondering how long to wait before taking him to the vet. About 5 days prior he started favoring his right rear leg and that seemed to be getting better then 2 days ago he started limping on the right front. Doesn't seem to be getting any worse or better but we have been trying to keep him quiet and not letting run around. My first thought is he pulled something but never witnessed any traumatic injury that was instant. Just a gradual onset. When he stands he will hold his right front leg up off the ground or barily let it touch.
I have checked his pads and felt for any deformity without finding anything. I looked at the post on Pano and that sure seems to be a good possibility. He seems alert and ready to play,eating and drinking but you can tell he is stiff and hurting and just wants to lay down for the most part after trying. One other time he was limping for about a week and everything cleared up, but this seems to be much worse. He is 21 months and 55 lbs and was super active prior to this issue.

jlp8cornell

Re: GSP Limping

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:28 am

Lymes disease? Sounds like typical symptoms.

Fish 4-5

Post by Fish 4-5 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:42 am

Going to take him in tomorrow. If it is Lyme D. hopefully I didn't wait to long to get him some treatment. Thx for your response.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:21 pm

lyme. Vet should put him on Doxy, dog is showing symptoms.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Fish 4-5

Post by Fish 4-5 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:50 am

Just a quick follow up on the prognosses. He did test positive for lyme and is currently taking a 30 day regiment of Doxycycline. He has been on this for approx. 4 days and while his lameness is I think improving he still has a noticable limp. How long on average does it take for these sypmtoms to go away. Thx Again for all your comments. J

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:26 am

I seem to remember all my cases started to clear up around 7 to 10 days.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:46 am

I saw a noticable difference after a couple of days. After 7 to 10 days I didn't notice any symptoms.
Make sure you go through the entire treatment. Had a friend that stopped after two weeks because the dog was feeling better only to have it flare up again with much worse symptoms.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:24 pm

If it is Lyme, the sooner you start the antibiotic the sooner the symptoms will abate.

It is absolutely crucial that you finish the enitre course of antibiotics on the dog and I think 30 days is actually not all that long of a treatment regimen for a well established Lyme infection. Lyme an be a real SOB to get rid of if you don't obliterate it early on.

Doxy is cheap and safe. If I had any doubts, if the dog wasn't absolutely at the top of its game, as the dog is approaching the 30 days, I'd ask for a refill for at least another two weeks.

RayG

Fish 4-5

Post by Fish 4-5 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:41 am

I definitly will continue the 30 day dose, hopefully that will clear it up. I talked to the Vet yesterday and she wants him back for Xrays at 140.00. I have poked and proded trying to get a reaction and found nothing and she did also on the initial visit. I'm going give it another week before we go the Xray route. I just feel bad that I didn't pick up on the lyme quicker. I was assuming he pulled or twisted something and time would take care of it. 3 days later I find out its lyme.
All the blood work Liver function etc. came back ok so for now its going to be a waiting game. Thanks again for the insight...

Fish 4-5

Post by Fish 4-5 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:49 am

It's been a lot longer for him to get back to normal than most thought but he is looking so much better now. His limp is almost totally gone. Now that he's got or had the viris would the annual shot for Lyme help any. Talked to a few that suggested it but if lyme D is in the system not sure how that would help for future issues. My understanding is once you have it, it's in your body forever.