Whelping Boxes

GrouseHunter22

Whelping Boxes

Post by GrouseHunter22 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:36 pm

Do you use them? If not explain what you use and general dimensions. Supplies, ideas, cautions, etc.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:11 pm

I use the extra large heavy collapsible welded wire crates with a slide out plastic bottom for easy cleaning. All our litters are born and raised in the house for at least the first two to four weeks so I prefer the wire crates over an open whelping box.

You can use 3" pvc run around the inside of the box and clamped tied, or wired about 4" off of the bottom to create a "safe zone" where puppies can get away if the mom accidentally lays down on them. That way they don't get trapped against the side. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

Rusti's Mom

whelping

Post by Rusti's Mom » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:37 am

I used a kiddie pool and we put dryer vent hose around the bottom, secured by tie wraps. We lined the bottom with old flannel sheets, and when they got dirty, I would take the dirty one out, put in a clean one, wash the first one and it was ready when the second one got dirty. Lot's of washing and drying, but worked really well.

As they got older, I used a beach towel and did the same thing. I got one of the fenced corrals to put around the outside to keep them in as they got older. They were born last July and it was so hot here, they didn't get outside until September. It was real easy when they were out of the pool, to take it outside and wash it out. I was really glad when they were old enough and it was cool enough to leave them outside, playing in the yard all day and into the outside kennel at night.

Will use it again.
Pat :)

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:59 pm

All my pups are whelped/raised in the house too. I used the 5' swimming pool in the past. Works great. Now I use a whelping box (3' X 4" X 12") with 3 sides on it and it works well too...and is easier to clean up and take down after the litter has left. I also use either a heat lamp or the heating pads (18" X 28") made for whelping and a pill proof blanket. After the first few weeks, I switch over to old comforters (cut to fit the whelping box) and newspapers. Once the eyes open (around 2 weeks) they are ready to climb out. I've got a 5' X 6' whelping pen that the box is in. I turn the box around and then they have access to the rest of the pen. I've also got a doggie door in it so once they are old enough (weather permitting) I can start teaching them to go in and out. I open the door all the way, put up the ramp for them to climb down to get out for the 5' X 20' kennel run. Within days they learn to go potty outside and makes my inside cleaning a dream. I gradually close the door up until they are able to open and close it on their own. I continue to keep the newspapers down until the litter is gone. I actually go to the local newspaper company and get their end rolls for next to nothing. Works great...I can make the strips as long as I want and it's harder for the pups to shred the papers up on me.

The most important thing to remember when raising a new litter is to keep the temp. at a steady 85 degrees. They can't regulate their body temps. and if it's too hot or too cold, you're in for a lot of problems.

When delivering, make sure you have the suction tool (best known here as the "booger sucker"). I use the kids from when they were born. I also weigh and measure each pup when they are born, as well as record the time they were born and specific marks. Surgical gloves and paper towels are also on hand, as well as towels to dry/clean the pups. Forceps to help with the delivery, if need be. Be careful not to pull on the cord, hernias can and will be caused by this. Sometimes I take the placenta and other times I allow Mom to take it. It depends on how fast the pups are coming and how well she's doing with the deliveries.

For Mom, I offer her softened food for the first few days and gradually change it over to dry. If she's being reluctant to eat, I make up some burger and white rice for her.

Rusti's Mom

Whelping

Post by Rusti's Mom » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:18 pm

Thanks Patty.
I guess that I was very lucky with my first litter. Momma took care of all but the first. I had to help her with the first pup as she was so big. Rusti screamed, nipped at me and had a look on her face like "what did you do to me?" After the first one, the rest came out very easy and I didn't help her at all.

We are getting ready to breed her again, so all the new info is greatly appreciated.

Pat

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:50 pm

Glad I can help you...you might also want to get some Oxytocin. It's a horomone that stimulates contractions...however, you need to be very careful when you use it...it's not to be taken lightly, but works great! All my bitches get it when they've finished the last delivery and if they've ran into weak contractions.

Vizland's

Whelping Box

Post by Vizland's » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:42 pm

I have heard of many ideas. I have used the kiddie pool idea and the vari-kennel before until I bought a dura-whelp box from the Fawn Corp. it is easy to clean and folds up neatly for storage...has rails so the pups are safe and a door you can remove for easy excess.

Amy Holland-Colbert

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:48 pm

Amy, if they have a website, it would be a great opportunity to add it to the "Submit your site" section of this board. :)

Rusti's Mom

Post by Rusti's Mom » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:21 pm

Amy,

Please let me know where I can buy one of these? We are having trouble finding a kiddie pool for our Oct. 4th litter.

Thanks,
Pat

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:17 pm

Pat, follow this link http://www.xocom.com/fr/Boxes.htm. They sell them off their site. I don't know how their prices compare, but you can do a search for Dura-Whelp and see what it produces.

Vizland's

Post by Vizland's » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:47 pm

I don't know the website but this is at the bottom of my recpt. www.breederbase.com/fr

I bought a medium which is plenty big for a vizsla...the first one i bought was the size for a great dane. I was raising Labradors then and they had 10+ pup litters and the box allows me to lay down with her in the whelping box to comfort her. The medium is plenty big for whelping then at 2-3 weeks I set up the bigger one for them to try out their walking legs within a closed in pen. This way the mother can lay away from them when she feels she needs a break.

If you can't bring up the site try www.FawnRun.com
Their street address is P.O. Box 8,Clifton,ID 83228 PH. 208-747-3605. They delivered it within 10 days. Good Luck

Amy Holland-Colbert

Rusti's Mom

Post by Rusti's Mom » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:54 pm

Thanks. I was able to follow links.

Are the pads easy to wash? Dry? They look very nice.

Pat

Vizland's

Post by Vizland's » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:05 pm

I only purchased the box not the pad....I use news paper in the box for nesting then it cleans up easily and it absorbing of the blood from birth. Once she is done whelping I move everyone out of the box...clean it and lay a peice of sheep skin peice of fabric for the mommy and pups to be warm. They show the lamps too but mine birth in the house and not outside in a kennel so i see no need for that.

I know they are abit costly 159.00 for the medium but it is quite large. very easy to santatize and keep clean....

Amy Holland-Colbert

bridget264

Re: Whelping Boxes

Post by bridget264 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:45 pm

I am using the whelping box for dogs, for puppies, and as bedding. I have used a plastic whelping box for my canine. It is designed by food grade PVC that is sustainable with soft and adorable material. Also, rubber liner pad for a non-movement surface. Weaning pen areas for puppies. You can make a whelping box as per your requirements. You can use it not only for the dog but also can be hours, cat, rabbit, any other animals.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:36 am

kiddie pool works great for us. have never had a laid on pup. we rotate clean towels/blankets in and out also.

bridget264

Post by bridget264 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:45 am

Of course. It is safe and secure your puppies and dogs. Whelping box is useful for every dog owners. It is also easy to use, Easy to cleaning. It makey your puppies hygienic and also makes your home clean.