Flea/Tick Preventative

jmsgunner

Flea/Tick Preventative

Post by jmsgunner » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:34 am

Alright,I'm sure a well played-out topic but I have tried 2 Flea/Tick meds and am still unable to find one where my dogs dont get ticks on em!

I started with K9Advantix and now have the boys on Vectra3D.

Anyone else have a problem with this? I pulled 2 off my one dog in the past 12 hours and am constantly pulling them off the other dog.

Are there supplements that help?
Any products you have found help?

We are having a heavy tick season I guess, didn't pull any that I remember off last summer once I switched to Vectra.

None of the ticks have been bloated, so is it they just attach and then die? I am so confuzzled!
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Flea/Tick Preventative

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:12 am

The repellents in both of those products don't last very long so that is why I use Frontline which just kills them when they bite, but I haven;t used it since April. Light season here.

You can try spraying the dogs down with 50/50 apple cider vinegar when you are going to a place where there is high risk.

It works but doesn't last long.

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:56 am

Funny thing is, I gave them their monthly on the 1st, so it's not even 2 weeks and I am pulling those nasty bloodsucking jerks off. I am thinking they may be dead though since I've never pulled a bloated one off...?

I guess it's time to make a switch. Hate to pay $20/dog a month for something that doesn't even work... I'd rather pay $40/dog for something that does!
Jackie & Gunner

settergal83

Post by settergal83 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:48 am

I'm having a similar problem only fleas. IDK what I'm going to do to be honest..i've tried it all from the off brands to the name brands...at a total loss!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:51 am

Parasites tend to be attracted to dogs with weaker immune systems, that is the nature of parasites.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:25 am

I have a white female GSP that will not hold spot on treatments of any kind. Of course, she's a bug magnent. Also, she's a chronic butt scratcher, so she keeps her hair rubbed. I finally broke down and put a Scalibor deltamethrin collar on her. Even with her getting wet and muddy and rolling in the dirt, it's working. Walk in retail is $50, but it is supposed to last up to six months. We'll see about that part, but so far it is 100%.
Last edited by Cajun Casey on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:35 am

Cajun Casey wrote:I have a white female GSP that will not hold spot on treatments of any kind. Of course, she's a bug magnent. Also, she's a chronic butt scratcher, so she keeps her hair rubbed. I finally broke down and put a Scalibor deltamethrin collar on her. Even with her getting wet and muddy and rollung in the dirt, it's working. Walk in retail is $50, but it is supposed to last up to six months. We'll see about that part, but so far it is 100%.
Dad uses them on his dogs and swears by them. I'd use them if Mel didn't have a reaction to them.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:50 am

My mostly liver boy gets the most ticks, his hair is supper soft and fine compared to my mostly white boy. Maybe I'll try the collars.

I friggin hate ticks. It makes me all skeeved out to touch them.
Jackie & Gunner

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:01 am

jmsgunner wrote:My mostly liver boy gets the most ticks, his hair is supper soft and fine compared to my mostly white boy. Maybe I'll try the collars.

I friggin hate ticks. It makes me all skeeved out to touch them.
You sound like my wife!

Both mine have soft fine hair. Yay for me!
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:05 am

+1 on the scalibor collar. I can beat the price your paying by about $16, though casey. :wink: I also really like the Preventic collars. my dogs all wore one last summer and it worked great. For fleas i have had ALOT of success with Comfortis and Trifexis.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:30 am

dog dr wrote:+1 on the scalibor collar. I can beat the price your paying by about $16, though casey. :wink: I also really like the Preventic collars. my dogs all wore one last summer and it worked great. For fleas i have had ALOT of success with Comfortis and Trifexis.
That price is what I sell 'em for! The price you are quoting is about right for online or discount. I pay less with my clinic discount, but you've got a deal, for sure!

Comfortis has some counterindications with ivermectin, which is my heartworm preventative and should not be used on breeding females, although this is not an issue with the dog I have the Scalibor collar on.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:42 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
dog dr wrote:+1 on the scalibor collar. I can beat the price your paying by about $16, though casey. :wink: I also really like the Preventic collars. my dogs all wore one last summer and it worked great. For fleas i have had ALOT of success with Comfortis and Trifexis.
That price is what I sell 'em for! The price you are quoting is about right for online or discount. I pay less with my clinic discount, but you've got a deal, for sure!

Comfortis has some counterindications with ivermectin, which is my heartworm preventative and should not be used on breeding females, although this is not an issue with the dog I have the Scalibor collar on.

the girls tell me we are selling them for $34. Im probably not charging enough!

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:33 am

Ok so where would one get this? Just a search online I suppose would bring it up. Since this doesnt prevent against fleas do you also do a topical flea preventative?
Jackie & Gunner

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:57 am

Im having very good luck with Pet Armor, its a generic Frontline that is sold at Walmart. 3 months is $29, but it is the same price whether you are buying for a 20 lb dog or a 90lb dog. So I buy the bigger dose and split it between two dogs.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:13 pm

jmsgunner wrote:Ok so where would one get this? Just a search online I suppose would bring it up. Since this doesnt prevent against fleas do you also do a topical flea preventative?
Scalibor does fleas. Preventic does not. PM dog dr, because he's got a good price.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:37 pm

jmsgunner wrote:Funny thing is, I gave them their monthly on the 1st, so it's not even 2 weeks and I am pulling those nasty bloodsucking jerks off. I am thinking they may be dead though since I've never pulled a bloated one off...?

I guess it's time to make a switch. Hate to pay $20/dog a month for something that doesn't even work... I'd rather pay $40/dog for something that does!
It isn't supposed to keep them off but just kills them before they can do any harm. Don't think you will ever find a product that keeps them off for more than an hour or two.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:47 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
jmsgunner wrote:Funny thing is, I gave them their monthly on the 1st, so it's not even 2 weeks and I am pulling those nasty bloodsucking jerks off. I am thinking they may be dead though since I've never pulled a bloated one off...?

It isn't supposed to keep them off but just kills them before they can do any harm. Don't think you will ever find a product that keeps them off for more than an hour or two.

Ezzy

good point, ezzy. there isnt anything that is gonna keep 100% of the fleas and ticks off the dog 100% of the time. as soon as they discover the compound that kills every insect within a 3 ft radius of the dog, I will stock up on it!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

dog dr wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy

good point, ezzy. there isn't anything that is gonna keep 100% of the fleas and ticks off the dog 100% of the time. as soon as they discover the compound that kills every insect within a 3 ft radius of the dog, I will stock up on it!
Better yet, invent it and retire in luxury

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:38 pm

mcbosco wrote:Parasites tend to be attracted to dogs with weaker immune systems, that is the nature of parasites.
I used to believe that but now I'm not so sure.

Second summer here that mites have burrowed in on 2 dogs. Normally this would indicate a weak immune system. However, neither dog has had any symptoms or other health problems indicative of a weak immune system.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:12 pm

dog dr wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy

good point, ezzy. there isnt anything that is gonna keep 100% of the fleas and ticks off the dog 100% of the time. as soon as they discover the compound that kills every insect within a 3 ft radius of the dog, I will stock up on it!
You won't get rich at your mark-up. :)

Heads up, products formerly under the Intervet brand just took a wholesale increase due to the Merial-Schering Plough buyout. Boo, hiss.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:17 pm

There is no way that can be true. Not even sure an immune system has anything to do with parasites. Bacteria yeah, but not true parasites. And any bug that attacks an animal attack them all but the ones with the better immune system could fight them off. And you have to remember the immune system of any dog changes constantly. It may be strong this week but not next.

Ezzy

Byrdgirl

Post by Byrdgirl » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:58 pm

What about trying a tick/bug spray in addition to what your doing now? You can buy them at Petsmart or on the internet. We usually put one on Cleo before she goes into the field and have been relatively successful. I usually end up with more ticks than her.
Follow our adventures at: http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/
Hunting Dog Photography: http://byrddogphotography.com/

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:09 pm

Robyn, I haven't gotten a tick on me yet this year! I FREAK big time. Did Cleo have any the days she was over here playing?
Jackie & Gunner

Byrdgirl

Post by Byrdgirl » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:51 am

No, Cleo didn't end up with any when she was over to play. But considering the size of your property and how it backs up to the woods ect I can totally see how you would have an issue with ticks. Your lucky you haven't gotten any on you. I think so far this season I have pulled at least 10 off of me.
Follow our adventures at: http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/
Hunting Dog Photography: http://byrddogphotography.com/

jlowery

Post by jlowery » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:27 pm

I just got 3 boxes of that Trifexis, glad to hear of the Success of it.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:39 pm

jmsgunner wrote:Alright,I'm sure a well played-out topic but I have tried 2 Flea/Tick meds and am still unable to find one where my dogs dont get ticks on em!

I started with K9Advantix and now have the boys on Vectra3D.

Anyone else have a problem with this? I pulled 2 off my one dog in the past 12 hours and am constantly pulling them off the other dog.

Are there supplements that help?
Any products you have found help?

We are having a heavy tick season I guess, didn't pull any that I remember off last summer once I switched to Vectra.

None of the ticks have been bloated, so is it they just attach and then die? I am so confuzzled!
Nothing I know of will keep ticks off; heck I find them on me when I go out in some of the fields with the dog. The big thing is that if they try to attach, they wind up dead. As for fleas... never found any on him at all. And we've been using k9 advantix all along here in FL.

JMHO,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

outdoorman

Post by outdoorman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:16 pm

I have tried all the cheaper brands of flea and tick preventatives, like everyone else trying to save money, but found all i did was wast money. My personal opinion is Frontline Plus is best for my Llewellin setter. I still find a tick now an then, but there always dead. Pet med i found has the best prices and they told me they will meet anyones price. Good Luck :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:36 pm

I use K9advantix. You will see ticks on the dog but they can't bite and cling. They are repelled.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Canine-Advantix&id=1584882

http://www.animalhealth.bayerhealthcare.com/5614.0.html

Never try another product until the 4 weeks are up for the first product tried. These are powerful pesticides . Alway swash you hand with soap and water after applying Advantix. It can penetrate human skin too.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Petra

Post by Petra » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:38 am

I use the Frontline (NOT THE PLUS) I give half a container on each dog and as it dries apply another half, I forgot to do the second one last month and have had no ticks and have seen only one dead in a sleeping area. Not worried about fleas so the plus that gets into the blood is not needed. Maybe I will lower the amount always, they may have the amount to put on a dog too high ,I will monitor to see if I keep getting the same results.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:27 pm

Petra wrote:I use the Frontline (NOT THE PLUS) I give half a container on each dog and as it dries apply another half, I forgot to do the second one last month and have had no ticks and have seen only one dead in a sleeping area. Not worried about fleas so the plus that gets into the blood is not needed. Maybe I will lower the amount always, they may have the amount to put on a dog too high ,I will monitor to see if I keep getting the same results.

not following the label directions is a good way to promote resistance within the population of fleas and ticks your dog is exposed too.

Petra

Post by Petra » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:04 pm

Being in health care myself, I understand the premise, did not think of it like that, (obviously), thanks

Thinking

Post by Thinking » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:38 am

It may sound hokey, but a houndsman I know gives all his dogs organic apple cider vinegar on their daily food. He claims he hasn't had a tick in years. I've been trying it on my pup, and havent found one on him yet (fingers crossed).

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:57 am

Thinking wrote:It may sound hokey, but a houndsman I know gives all his dogs organic apple cider vinegar on their daily food. He claims he hasn't had a tick in years. I've been trying it on my pup, and havent found one on him yet (fingers crossed).

We have discussed ACV on here before. You can even spray it on the dogs diluted 50/50. When you add to food it definitely helps keep teeth clean and breath fresh.

I don't know if it helps for fleas and ticks when added to the food, but sprayed on it really helps.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:56 am

Byrdgirl wrote:What about trying a tick/bug spray in addition to what your doing now? You can buy them at Petsmart or on the internet. We usually put one on Cleo before she goes into the field and have been relatively successful. I usually end up with more ticks than her.
Not a good idea. You are double dosing the dog with a pesticide.

sully511

Post by sully511 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:52 pm

Merial has come out with a new flea/tick prevention called Certifect. I have absolutely no experience with it. It's Frontline Plus with Amitraz added to kill ticks faster and make them detach. I think it's just now getting out to the vets.

http://www.merial.com/PressRoom/PressRe ... sease.aspx

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:11 am

sully511 wrote:Merial has come out with a new flea/tick prevention called Certifect. I have absolutely no experience with it. It's Frontline Plus with Amitraz added to kill ticks faster and make them detach. I think it's just now getting out to the vets.

i have sold a few of those, with good results so far. Amitraz worksgreat on ticks - same chemical in Preventic collars.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:19 am

dog dr wrote:
sully511 wrote:Merial has come out with a new flea/tick prevention called Certifect. I have absolutely no experience with it. It's Frontline Plus with Amitraz added to kill ticks faster and make them detach. I think it's just now getting out to the vets.

i have sold a few of those, with good results so far. Amitraz worksgreat on ticks - same chemical in Preventic collars.
But is it worth the risk?

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:20 pm

mcbosco wrote:
dog dr wrote:

But is it worth the risk?
i guess that just depends on wether you want ticks on your dog or not. all my dogs have worn a preventic collar all summer long for the last 2 years with no issues at all. the only problems i have ever seen with amitraz were with the mange treatment dip Taktic. i asked the drug rep if the Certifect would work for mange, and they said there wasnt a high enough amount of amitraz in it for anything but the ticks. but there are some dogs that react to things differently than most, so you will see reactions to almost any product.

outdoorman

Post by outdoorman » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:53 pm

I use Frontline Plus on my 40# setter. The cost is $63.00 for a six month supply, co pays shipping, very happy with the results.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:41 pm

dog dr wrote: Amitraz worksgreat on ticks - same chemical in Preventic collars.
Another vote for Preventic collars. I think they are superior to Frontline in the fact that they seem to prevent ticks from attaching altogether. At least that has been my experience and the collar lasts up to 3 months. Only downside is they are not effective against fleas.