snake bite and long term effects

redman25

snake bite and long term effects

Post by redman25 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:08 pm

My pup was bitten on the tip of his nose by an unknown species of snake Saturday evening. I had him to the ER vet within' 30 minutes and the anti venom was administered within a couple of hours. The swelling got pretty bad, pretty quick, but because of the quick treatment it had subsided a good bit by Sunday morning. By yesterday evening it was gone almost completely. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever experienced long term effects on scenting ability after such a bite? His nose has been ridiculously keen as a pup, and he seems to be using it well the last couple of days. Just wondering if I should expect any lingering effects? We're pretty confident that it was only a copperhead, just because of the symptoms and quick recovery.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: snake bite and long term effects

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 31, 2011 4:33 pm

Depends on more what else happened. for most dogs that I have seen bit those dogs have gone on hunting just as good as they ever were

It doesn't Sound like your dog got it to bad,,though yes you saw a good amount of swelling which many bits can do even from insects..But a serious snake bite you would have some necropsy of the flesh happening even with the anti venom etc as the bacterial infections form the bites often make the snake bites wise and that is what could do some damage to the nasal cavity
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Tue May 31, 2011 4:39 pm

Kinze, my dogs half sister just got her DC after being bit. Doesn't seem to be a bother.

Carla

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:20 am

redman25 wrote:My pup was bitten on the tip of his nose by an unknown species of snake Saturday evening. I had him to the ER vet within' 30 minutes and the anti venom was administered within a couple of hours. The swelling got pretty bad, pretty quick, but because of the quick treatment it had subsided a good bit by Sunday morning. By yesterday evening it was gone almost completely. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever experienced long term effects on scenting ability after such a bite? His nose has been ridiculously keen as a pup, and he seems to be using it well the last couple of days. Just wondering if I should expect any lingering effects? We're pretty confident that it was only a copperhead, just because of the symptoms and quick recovery.
Our GSP has unfortunately had 2 run ins with pygmy rattlers for which he required antivenin & an overnight hospital stay. Both times it was in the nose. IMHO it hasn't effected his keen scenting ability nose at all: he is still "a bird-finding machine" as one of our FT/HT friends likes to say. :wink:
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!