Only One Testicle

Nhuskr

Only One Testicle

Post by Nhuskr » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:57 pm

Sigh... Took Tucker in for his last set of shots this morning, and his first visit to our vet. He has a bacterial infection in both ears, and only one testicle has descended. :cry: So, any plans for breeding him in the future are out. He's only 4 mos old and the vet wants to neuter him asap. :evil: I want to wait until he's stopped growing. The vet couldn't tell if the testicle was up in the abdomen or under the skin somewhere. What are the dangers of leaving that testicle until he's two? Should I go ahead with the surgery to remove the non-descended testicle now and neuter later, or is it okay to wait until he's at least 18 mos and have the surgeries done at the same time?

The vet was like "As soon as he starts hiking his leg to pee, you need to bring him in to neuter him, or you'll have behavioral issues.", when I told him I was going to wait. :roll:

I'll be contacting the breeder to let him know, since this is genetic. He has another litter on the ground now from this same sire. It'll be interesting to see what he says. Tucker has had a really rough start in life, it just doesn't seem fair.

Cheryl

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: Only One Testicle

Post by topher40 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:07 pm

I wouldnt worry about behavioral issues, although the one undescended testicle is almost always sure to turn cancerous. I had had this on a pup of mine years ago. You can only take the undescended testicle and can still breed, but why pass on this inheritable trait?
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:10 pm

Do not Neuter him yet...I have seen Pups not drop until about 6 months old if the testicle has come low enough unless he is a true cryptoid there are some that can have an escalating testicle anyways ..Either way There is no need to rush getting the testicles removed wait until the dog has matured and find another vet.
And yes if the testicle does remain up then by all means contact the breeder and let them know

Sorry
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:18 pm

not sure how old tucker is but i would wait until 9 months and see if it drops..kind of a double edge sword here cause you dont want to breed and pass this on but you can get steroids (HCG) to make the testicle drop..but i wouldnt want to pass it on to other generations..also +1 on the cancer issue..the testicle in the abdomen has a very good chance of turning cancerous..tough news..sorry to hear after all youve gone threw with him....best of luck..ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:46 pm

You can have surgery to correctly place the offending gonad, if there is no adhesion.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:27 pm

He should be neutered if it doesn't drop but I sure wouldn't do it till he is at least two years old. And like advised he is still too young to know if it is going to descend into the scrotom.

Ezzy.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

APATZ_GSP

Post by APATZ_GSP » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:41 pm

My gsp had the same problem with droping the second it dropped fully at about 4 months and my vet said the same things because he couldnt find it. I also thought it was a problem but it worked out for the best.
Allen
GSP-Ammo

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:40 am

tell your vet to not get his briefs in a wad, and WAIT to see what will happen with the other testicle. not gonna hurt anything to wait. there are plenty of dogs in this world that have both testicles and zero behavioral issues.

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:55 pm

dog dr wrote:tell your vet to not get his briefs in a wad, and WAIT to see what will happen with the other testicle. not gonna hurt anything to wait. there are plenty of dogs in this world that have both testicles and zero behavioral issues.
:lol: Thanks, dog dr! Our vet is great with horses, but sometimes I wonder about his dog skills. :roll: I'll definitely wait to see what happens.

Thanks to everyone else for their replies as well. Makes me feel better. :)

Cheryl

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:23 pm

I have a black and roan male that didn't drop until 8 months. vet said to rub around the inside of his thigh and stomach (on the non descended side). It took a while, it happens

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:19 am

My friend has a boxer that this happened to. He waited and waited for the other to drop and his dog keeled over one day. Rushed him to the vet and what had happened was the un-descended testicle had gotten wrapped up in his intestines. He had the choice of either putting the dog down or forking out 3 grand for emergency surgery.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:13 am

topher40 wrote:I wouldnt worry about behavioral issues, although the one undescended testicle is almost always sure to turn cancerous. I had had this on a pup of mine years ago. You can only take the undescended testicle and can still breed, but why pass on this inheritable trait?

X2

http://www.2ndchance.info/cryptorchid.htm
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett