Semen

GrouseHunter22

Semen

Post by GrouseHunter22 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:24 am

Does anybody on here take semen from their stud dogs for AI?

icefire

Post by icefire » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:39 am

we currently have 2 dogs that we are planning on collecting from as well as semen from 2 dogs that are now dead that has already been collected. it is a rather expensve proposition though. around here it is around 400 to get a single collection done and enter 8 tubes into storage. then 60/yr for storing up to 25 tubes per dog. on the insemination end there are other issues. transcervical insemination is the cheapest (around 200) but has a very poor conception rate with frozen semen. the other way to go that is more successfull is surgical insemination which costs more but gives you better chances. you also tend to get smaller litters. it is only really a valuable tool when you are dealing with rare genentics or a stud that has proven to throw very good pups. If the dog is still alive, you might want to stash some but by far the best way to breed is natural cover.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:22 pm

And, from a different stand point...I take semen from my studs for the bitches that won't/don't accept them for breeding. The semen is used as soon as it's collected, as it's only good for about an hour after collecting.

GrouseHunter22

Post by GrouseHunter22 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:18 pm

I see where you all are coming from.