Trimming toe nails

Addict

Trimming toe nails

Post by Addict » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:15 pm

My dog's nails are getting way too long and I am worried about them breaking while out running in the fields.

Wondering how hard it is to trim them yourself. I have never done it before. What do I need to know about doing it. Also it looks like there are several kinds of clippers to buy. Which one is the easiest to use?

Addict

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:33 pm

a battery operated Dremel tool
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:30 am

Aside from the dremel, which may freak out your dog, go with the clippers that look like side-cut pliers. While having an equal opportunity to freak out your dog, they at least won't have that effect until after you start cutting the nails (they don't make noise).

Also make sure to have some quik-stop powder in case you get too close on the nail and it starts to bleed. If that happens, apply the powder with a q-tip to make a pasty seal on the nail and stop the bleeding. Of course, try not to make the nails bleed. That can be painful to the dog and it may eventually decide to not let you clip its nails.

Not having done it before, you may want to take your dog to the vet and watch them do it the first time. They normally only charge $10, so think of it as a cheap lesson.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:15 am

Look for the quick. It will be a reddened part of the nail. I know its hard to find but try the best you can. Then just cut a bit away from it. If you keep up on the trimming eventually the nail will get smaller and smaller without hitting the quick part.

You may want your wife or kids to help. One to sit on the dog the other to pet him and talk to him and you to trim the nails.

It takes me and my old man to trim the new puppies but Bailey enjoys it and holds still while we do it. Like everything takes some time for the dogs to get used to.

Toyman

Post by Toyman » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:46 am

My dog would always fight me if I tried to trim the nails in the kennel or the yard so I load her in the dog box like we are going somewhere and let her sit on the taigate. She gives me no problem at all because she thinks we are going "somewhere".

Toyman

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:18 am

I always start as little pups using the dremmel and clippers on them so they are used to it, You can still do that. It takes a couple of sessions if you let them feel the vibrations and the noise before they accept it but it will work.

The first cutting I would maybe go to the vet so you can learn.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

pear

Post by pear » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:31 am

Ryan wrote:Look for the quick. It will be a reddened part of the nail. I know its hard to find but try the best you can. Then just cut a bit away from it. If you keep up on the trimming eventually the nail will get smaller and smaller without hitting the quick part.

Tough to do on a black nail, which seems to be the norm. I think the trip or two to the vet is good advice. It's not had to learn, nor is it expensive..."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

Grey Ghost

Post by Grey Ghost » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:56 am

Do you have either a training table or a barrel? If your dog fights you about the trimming, try getting him/her off the ground. Mine fought like the devil himself (starting at 7 weeks old) until I tried that. I'm ashamed to say it only occured to me after several trips to a groomer, who as a matter of routine put her on a grooming table.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:25 am

I always start as little pups using the dremmel....
Same here. A Dremmel is the best tool because you have so much control of the nail itsself. With practice and care you can take the nail back just above the quick without touching the tender part. This will allow the nail to naturally receed and get shorter. A Dremmel also allows you to give the nail very smooth edges so that the nail won't catch on something and splinter.

I sit on the floor and put the dog on his back between my legs with his head toward me. This allows me to control the dog with my legs as well as my hands and arms. I have two dogs that actually enjoy the process and two that still aren't all that keen with it. Once "locked in" even the other two settle down. Take it slow and use a soothing voice to reassure and you may end up with a dog that actually likes it.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:51 am

I REALLY need to see this Dremmel technique in action. My Weim's nails are pretty long even when trimmed and I'd love to get them knocked back a bit!

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:00 am

Addict, isn't your run cement? Mine is and I have never needed to trim any nails.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:47 am

The dremel tool has been a God send...The first thing is it isn't an abrupt twisting whack on the dogs claws...I find the dogs that give a fight in the first place it doesn't matter what you use you need to get them to trust you holding still and the dremel I have quite a few dogs show them clippers they fight it ...bring out the dremel and they are leary at first then when it doen't hurt them they stand still for it

As for length on clear toe nails you want to just get the white part which BTW with a dremel if you do happen to get to close you will not be so far back like a bad whack with clippers and have a bleeder and this will heal up real quick
as for the black toe nail look at the nail you just want to tip the nail and stop before it starts to widen underneath
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Addict

Post by Addict » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:51 pm

12volt,

Unfortunatly no the run isn't cement. At the last house we had a pad for them but this place is just dirt. We are renting and the landlords won't let us pour a pad. I'm getting gravel in soon because that is all they will let me do to it.

Addict

Addict

Post by Addict » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:59 pm

I just found a grooming shop that does the nails for free!! They have been around for awhile so they should do a good job.

I've never taken a dog to a grooming place before. Is it customary to tip them for doing it?

Addict

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:19 pm

Is it customary to tip them for doing it?
Who knows. W-a-y too uptown for me or my dogs! :-)

Simply ask them.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:28 pm

Grooming shop???? Way too uptown for me too. I am the guy who washes his dogs at the carwash. :D

Mntngoat

Post by Mntngoat » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:38 pm

The breeder where Rex came from recommended Dremal tools as well to trim his nails. Here is what I found on the Dremel web page. They also mentioned that if you weer to trim to the quick the Dremel tool seems to cauterize the wound. I think the corded models may be too powerful.

This one has 2 speeds and works on AA batteries

This one has lithium- Ion rechargable batteies and multiple speeds.

Hope This Helps
Michael
Last edited by Mntngoat on Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grey Ghost

Post by Grey Ghost » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:42 pm

Addict wrote:I just found a grooming shop that does the nails for free!! Is it customary to tip them for doing it?
15% of zero. :wink:

Allister Fiend

Post by Allister Fiend » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:44 pm

What tool do you use with the dremel? Would a corded model work just as well or would it be too powerful? I just use regular human toenail clippers on my wife's Boston Terrier and I have never had any trouble. My only complaint it that it leaves sharp edges and this dremel idea may be just the ticket to round them off.
Last edited by Allister Fiend on Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mntngoat

Post by Mntngoat » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:00 pm

Maybe the sanding drum would be used?

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:33 pm

the article "How to Dremel Dog Nails" on this site makes sense to me: www.DoberDawn.com

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:13 pm

Use one of the little stones. The one thing I want to caution is that they produce heat when grinding. I always do a nail for just a few seconds and then move to the next one and keep moving like that instead of grinding on the same one and making the dog uncomfortable from the heat as you get close to the quick.

If the nail is long I cut them and then knock the corners off with the stone. But once you get them back short do them every week if you can and you can slowly shorten them without taking a lot of time.

By the way, the amount of power has no effect. All you need is enough to turn the arbor but extra power doesn't make it grind faster so use what ever you have. The high speed is what makes it good. I used to use a drill with a stone but the speed of the dremmel does more with less heat, faster.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:33 pm

I use the sanding drum is the easiest no sharp edges to worry about I start from under the tip of the nail and work it back up and towards the quick...and as stated should you happen to get to close to the quick it cauterizes and the dog will start to pull back also if you getting to close

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:13 pm

Addict wrote:I just found a grooming shop that does the nails for free!! They have been around for awhile so they should do a good job.

I've never taken a dog to a grooming place before. Is it customary to tip them for doing it?

Addict
I never have, but a nail trim only is usually only $5.

As for the gravel, until this past fall I had "chat" gravel on my pens like the horse paddocks and such I am told, though I'm not really a horse person. It was great, for the most part, easy to rake and the active dogs kept their nails down pretty well on it becuase it compacts down so firm almost like concrete. The two issues I did have with it were poor drainage in heavy rains, and some of the dogs would dig big holes in the middle. (Concreted the edges, but they never even tried to dog the edges. :roll: )
This past time I had I think 1/2" deliverd and was hoping the drainage issue would improve. It has but it is much harder to rake and their nails don't wear down at all.
So I am saving up for concrete next time!

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:15 pm

Oh, and now that the gravel doesn't wear them down I dremel. LOVE it! No blood no mess! Takes a few times to get them comfortable with it, but well worth it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:51 am

If you are going to use gravel in a run lay concrete blocks on their side in a loose pattern and then cover them with gravel. The drainage will still be ok with the holes in the blocks pointing up and filled with the gravel..Pea gravel is really good till you get to the top of the blocks and then you can switch to a crushed rock. That will give you better drainage while the blocks will keep the dogs from digging.

Ezzy

Allister Fiend

Post by Allister Fiend » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:06 am

I gave the dremel method a try last night on my wife's Boston Terrier and I must say it worked very well. He was a little wary of the noise to start with, but she held him and he took it ok. I could not believe how fast it worked. I thought I would be working on each nail for a long time, but it only took a few seconds for each one. My dremel only has 2 speeds, 15,000 rpm's and 35,000 rpm's so at 15,000 the dust was really flying. I used the little fine grit sanding drum. I thought the stones might get too hot. Thanks for the advice everyone!
Last edited by Allister Fiend on Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

mrsb73122

Trimming toe nails

Post by mrsb73122 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:46 am

The website Wagonmaster sited says to use only the sanding drums as the stone gets too hot. We used this article to learn how to do our dogs' nails and found it very helpful.

We have a GSP and a sheltie.
Sharon B.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: Trimming toe nails

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:21 pm

mrsb73122 wrote: We have a GSP and a sheltie.
Another sheltie owner!:D
:) We have several GSP's and a sheltie, too! Does it try to herd the GSP? Ours herds the kids, but kinda gave up on the GSP's. She just tries to keep up - and does a pretty good job of it considering her age and size!

Addict

Post by Addict » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:37 pm

Thanks everyone. Looks like it's time to get a dremel.

Addict

mrsb73122

Trimming toe nails

Post by mrsb73122 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:03 pm

Yes, our sheltie does try to herd him. If I tell Cisco (the GSP) "no" about something, the sheltie brings him up to the house. But now Ranger (sheltie) also chases Cisco all over the yard trying to get a ball away from him. I'm also concerned about Ranger's health -- he's 11 years and Cisco is 9 months. I have to make Ranger quit chasing after awhile.

Back to the original subject, Ranger just lays still while I trim his nails, but Cisco still doesn't like it very well. Although the dremel is still easier than the clippers.
Sharon B.

ohiogsp

Post by ohiogsp » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:58 am

A good tip if someone gets to close to the wick and it starts to bleed. If you have nothing to stop the bleeding put the nail in a container of flour. It will stop the bleeding if you have nothing else there.