Artificial Insemination Question (AL)

nick.reed00

Artificial Insemination Question (AL)

Post by nick.reed00 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:54 pm

Can someone walk me through the logistics of making AL happen? Cost? Results? Is natural better? Are most people willing to do it? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nick

nitrex

Re: Artificial Insemination Question (AL)

Post by nitrex » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:09 pm

N ick,

I've had great results with two litters using the surgical procedure with frozen semen. Dr. Kent Law in Abilene, Kansas has a high success rate (I believe close to 95%) and is GREAT to work with. Each time he has had me bring in the female for Progestrone/LH testing about day 6-7 of the noticeable heat cycle. I had them tested 3 times before he did the AI procedure which was 3 days following ovulation. I had a litter of 10 from a female that had one previous litter and a litter of 9 out of a female for her first litter. Total cost for each AI not including stud fee was about $350-$400.

Nitrex

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:28 pm

AI and implanting dogs is two different procedures. Nitrex's overview is spot on concerning Doc Law. AI however is something that is easily done and doesnt require all he cost's. I AI all my females myself and wouldnt have it any other way. THis way you can do it at your liesure and not have to worry about anything going on like that can happen with natural breeding. I am "shooting" %100 and have nice sized healthy litters everytime. If your interested in AI talk with your local vet.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Dakota Swede

Post by Dakota Swede » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:47 pm

Interesting stuff! Are you using frozen semen or fresh? What are the advantages and disadvantages of frozen semen?
Teacher / Coach / Pheasant Guide and Hunter

Most people are about as happy as they want to be - a Quote by Abraham Lincoln

http://www.SkoglundFarm.com

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:53 pm

In the past, we had a dog that had to be romanced so much that we started collecting him and using AI on the bitches we wanted bred. We had pretty good success and litter size each time. I have no personal experience with using the surgical procedure. Do the puppies have to be taken C-section if the AI is done surgically? Just curious. I can see where that might turn into an expensive litter of puppies.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:33 pm

No, dogs do not have to be C sectioned , or not anymore chance of it than normal.
They just implant the semen into the fallopian (sp?) tube thru a incision in the abdomen.

Here is a short surgical AI video.
http://www.downtowndustybrown.com/libra ... eeding.wmv
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Dakota Swede

Post by Dakota Swede » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:19 pm

Is it true that you get smaller litters with frozen semen? If so, how much smaller?

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:51 am

Natural is always better, IMO...
brenda

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:58 am

Dakota Swede wrote:Is it true that you get smaller litters with frozen semen? If so, how much smaller?
Depends on which process is used and the females feertility

Transcervical actually rivals natural

Surgical also has a higher success rate of more pups

the pipette method is the one that has the lowest number rate as it is deposited in the vaginal canal where the other 2 methods the semen is deposited in the uterus

On that note I will never AI a first time female ..for the costs you will go through I want to know that the female will be a good mother and that she will ahve more then a few pup via a natural breeding first.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:14 am

kninebirddog wrote:
Dakota Swede wrote:Is it true that you get smaller litters with frozen semen? If so, how much smaller?
Depends on which process is used and the females feertility

Transcervical actually rivals natural

Surgical also has a higher success rate of more pups

the pipette method is the one that has the lowest number rate as it is deposited in the vaginal canal where the other 2 methods the semen is deposited in the uterus

On that note I will never AI a first time female ..for the costs you will go through I want to know that the female will be a good mother and that she will ahve more then a few pup via a natural breeding first.
Good points Knine, but one breeding doesn't tell you that. There are thousands of examples of a first time female messing up the whole process that turns out to be a great mother. I have seen is many many times. Two in a row I do think tells you something but not the first one,either breeding or mothering, in my experience.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:13 am

Just had my first litter with a first time mother AI. I live 8 hours from the Vet. I had 2 progesterone tests done, called him with the results, and he told me when to show up on his doorstep. I barter with my Vet so I'm not sure what the labwork would have cost, $350 for the AI and $$$ for the frozen semen. The semen was collected in 96' and Dr. George Govette outside of Philadelphia, PA did a transcervical insemination. No anesthesia and it only took about 25 minutes in and out. He thawed it, put it under a scope to analyze it, let me look at it as well, and did the AI. This is all he does is AI. He doesn't see patients. Below is the link.

He told me when to be there, that she would whelp on day 60 plus or minus 1 day in either direction. Everybody I spoke with said "naaah" 63 -67 days bar none. She started labor on day 60 and whelped the litter on day 61. Eight fully developed healthy puppies. We lost one with a tangled umbilical cord around the previous placenta and the mom chewed the cord with that placenta. This is all hindsight, after trying to figure out what happened. Dr. Govett called me a week before just to follow up and see how she was doing. I called him a few days after the litter and described what happened and he explained about the cord. Otherwise, we would have had no casualties.

I will certainly use him again and he will gladly call you back at anytime. This was my only contact with him so I have nothing but High regards for him.

Bill

http://www.cloneusa.com/index.html
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

Dakota Swede

Post by Dakota Swede » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:50 pm

OK - so here is my problem --- would like to breed my well-bred bitch next spring.

Stud #1 is a Dual champion and pedigree goes back 3 generations DC. Dog is passed on and Frozen Semen only ( and semen is more than I would like to tell the wife about!).

Stud #2 is a son of Stud #1. Just got his Dual Championship. Live breeding.

Both are Great dogs - both would be good compliment to my bitch.

Live stud is 900 miles away. Checked out airfair for flying dogs and got a bit of sticker shock. Gas is now $3.09 a gal to drive, plus time off.

Do I drive the female out? Fly her out? Use AI from Stud #1? Starting to wonder if the investment will be worth it.

Someone want to give me some thoughts?

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:57 pm

Another thing you could do is call the owner of stud #1(dead dog) and ask him if any of the pups (from the litter stud dog #2 came out of) were sold in your area. He'll have records on who bought pups from him and where they went. Get ahold of the guys in your area and talk to them about it. You could then drive and look at the LITTERMATE to stud #2 and see if it would fit in your breeding program. You would get the same gene pool, but wouldn't have stud #2's DC title---you also wouldn't have the extra gas, airlines bills, or AI bills. Just a thought. Good luck, whatever you do :D

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:16 am

I'd be hesitant to use frozen semen on an unproven bitch. The cost factor is one thing, the waste of the frozen semen on a bitch who may not be able to conceive is another consideration. I would breed her natural or a fresh chilled AI first, let her have a litter and then use the frozen on her next season.

Doing a fresh chilled AI shouldn't be any more expensive then driving 900 miles, staying in a hotel etc. There are some hassles involved, but not over the top. You need to have the bitches ovulation timed, make sure the stud owner is available to get the dog collected at the right time, make sure your vet is available at the right time etc. You might want to find a vet in your area that specializes in this sort of thing. Many breeder vets are up to date and knowledgeable... but do your homework in advance. And be prepared... they are always ripe on a weekend!!!!!!! Never fails.

There are organizations/businesses out there who do frozen collections/storage who aren't Vets, and have no medical background. I know a guy who had his dogs collected over 25 yrs ago, when thawed it turned out some of the semen wasn't his dogs, not even dog! Be careful and know who you are dealing with. It also appears that the frozen semen business is very competitive.....I recently heard some stories from a well known repro vet that made my toes curl!

Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/