Question about Panacur

gspmo1

Question about Panacur

Post by gspmo1 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:28 pm

I have read different posts about folks using panacur to worm their dogs. What type are you using and what dosage would need to be given to a 50 pound dog? I saw a 10% panacur horse paste at TSC and thought about picking it up but I wasn't sure if that was the right thing or not.

Thanks

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: Question about Panacur

Post by snips » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:06 pm

I order from Jeffers, about 1/2 price of TSC.
brenda

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:36 pm

I use the liquid livestock wormer. .5cc/Kg.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:31 pm

i know the liquid panacur is 1 ml per 4 lbs. i figured the dose on the paste once, but for the life of me cant remember it. you cant overdose it, though. very safe.

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:37 pm

How often do you use it?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:59 pm

PS the other thing is Safeguard is cheaper then panacur and it is the same ingredient

Depending on what you are treating if is is for worms a 3 day regime is good if is is for girardia 5-10 days at dog dr reccommended dosing of the liquid

with the paste for worming we press out about an inch line on the finger for adult dogs
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:17 pm

How often do you use it, every month, 3months, 6 months or just as needed? I've always been told you can't worm to often, but have not used safeguard or Panacur. Thanks
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:36 pm

I already have them on Ivermectin at 1/10th cc per 10 lbs body weight every month for heart worm anyways which at the dose I give covers the basic wound worms and pin worms and hook worms I use the safe guard when other things show up mostly the bad water issues.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:29 pm

kninebirddog wrote:I already have them on Ivermectin at 1/10th cc per 10 lbs body weight every month for heart worm anyways which at the dose I give covers the basic wound worms and pin worms and hook worms I use the safe guard when other things show up mostly the bad water issues.
I use fenbenzadole twice a year unless I am dealing with a giardi issue. I use a smaller dose of Ivermectin monthly and rely on it only as a heart worm preventative. Every other month I use Pyrantel Pamoate for round and hook worms. I was told by my vet there are more effective medications than Ivermectin for internal parasites so why not use them. Hadn't heard Ivermectin would control pin worms.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:01 pm

oops copy and pasted to much :oops: ..it is a combination treatment that is used for humans mainly children

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:13 am

kninebirddog wrote:oops copy and pasted to much :oops: ..it is a combination treatment that is used for humans mainly children
Whack....! There, that should teach you...... :mrgreen:

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:31 am

Coveyrise64 wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:oops copy and pasted to much :oops: ..it is a combination treatment that is used for humans mainly children
Whack....! There, that should teach you...... :mrgreen:

Coveyrise64
LOL :lol:

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:21 pm

I use Safeguard horse wormer paste from TSC and on a 50lb dog I believe it is about 3 notches on the plastic syringe maybe 4 but giving them 4 isn't going to hurt them. All my trial buddies use Safeguard horse paste wormer for their adult dogs and they all tell me you could give your dog that whole tube full of paste wormer and it isn't going to kill them but I would advise against it.

dan v

Post by dan v » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:22 am

I recall doing the math on the qty of Safeguard horse wormer to give and seem to recall it's like 10:1...so for a 50lb dog you dispense a 500lb horse amount. Check the math...I'm not responsible for my memory. 8)
Dan

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:48 am

Here is what dog doc, wrote up for me on the subject.
Hope you don't mind Doc.
Rick

Re: Worming with Panacur equine.
Sent: 05/21/06
To: Ruffshooter

the problem we are gonna run into is that you want to dose the dogs by volume (ml or cc's), and so to calculate a dose, we have to know the concentration of the med by volume (mg per ml). we know how many mg of drug we have, but we dont know how many total mls of paste we have.

However, i think we can get close. if your tube is like the tube of panacur i have in front of me, there are 10 notches on the plunger. so each notch on the plunger would be equal to about 250 mg of fenbendazole, or enough to treat 10 lbs of dog (for one day). so a 50 lb dog would need 5 notches (or half a tube) per day for 3 days. fenbendazole is super safe, so dont worry about giving too much. in fact, I always err on the side of too much.

this dose is assuming of course that the drug (fenbendazole) is distributed evenly thru the whole tube. I suppose its possible all the fenbendazole is in the last half or first half or whatever. thats why i like the liquid better. BUT, thats not to say you cant use the paste for your dogs. its still very safe.

clear as mud??

doc
dog dr

Private message
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:18 pm

Not to worry about drug distribution throughout a tube or tablet. What if you were dosing a young 500lb horse and only needed to use half the tube, would you worry about which half to give him?
The meds are mixed with carriers in vats then dispensed into the tubes or extruded to make tablets; the tubes or tablets aren't made individually with a squirt of meds topped off with a squirt of filler :D

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:19 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:Here is what dog doc, wrote up for me on the subject.
Hope you don't mind Doc.
Rick

Re: Worming with Panacur equine.
Sent: 05/21/06
To: Ruffshooter

the problem we are gonna run into is that you want to dose the dogs by volume (ml or cc's), and so to calculate a dose, we have to know the concentration of the med by volume (mg per ml). we know how many mg of drug we have, but we dont know how many total mls of paste we have.

However, i think we can get close. if your tube is like the tube of panacur i have in front of me, there are 10 notches on the plunger. so each notch on the plunger would be equal to about 250 mg of fenbendazole, or enough to treat 10 lbs of dog (for one day). so a 50 lb dog would need 5 notches (or half a tube) per day for 3 days. fenbendazole is super safe, so dont worry about giving too much. in fact, I always err on the side of too much.

this dose is assuming of course that the drug (fenbendazole) is distributed evenly thru the whole tube. I suppose its possible all the fenbendazole is in the last half or first half or whatever. thats why i like the liquid better. BUT, thats not to say you cant use the paste for your dogs. its still very safe.

clear as mud??

doc
dog dr

Private message

glad you posted that rick! i was thnking about it when i originally read this thread, but i had long since deleted that mesage from my outbox.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:27 pm

Crap.....Im not giving enough. I usually use one tube between two 50lb dogs for three days.

Dumb question....Why is horse weight and dog weight different when giving panacur paste?????

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:35 pm

Different guts?

FWIW, a while back I figured the cost and the Safeguard goat wormer (liquid) is cheaper than horse paste. $1.10 per dose liquid as opposed to $3.40 for paste if you buy the liter bottle.