When's the best time to neuter?

PheasantHunter

When's the best time to neuter?

Post by PheasantHunter » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:05 pm

Hey All,

When is the optimal time to neuter a dog? What's your advice on whether or not to do it? I know from training horses, horses that have been gelded are generally much easier to train than studs. I assume it's the same in dogs. On the other hand, I like the look of a dog that has not been neutered because they're generally more muscled up and thick. All comments appreciated! I have GSP by the way...

Thanks, Mike

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:18 pm

you will get varying answers here

If I plan on altering a dog whether female or male I will have it done at about 4 months of age to me the earlier the better

I have seen better results with those done earlier as to maintaining shape and everydog we have had done at the earlier stages have grown up to be normal looking dogs and through excersise have attained normal muscling

those dogs which have been through maturing I see on a general rule most of them the hair coat change mostly of the longer haired breeds and them gaining weight easier. this is a personal observation of dogs we have here and those that customers bring wherther for training or as clients hunting on the preserve
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

PheasantHunter

Post by PheasantHunter » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:05 pm

thanks for the info, do you think that 2 months of age would be too early?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:10 pm

yes...it is ...the earliest a vet will do it is 4-6 months of age
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

shootist

Post by shootist » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:32 pm

Here are some articles that bring up some cons of early neutering. My own vet recommends not neurering until the growth plates are done.

http://www.littleriverlabs.com/neuter.htm

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html