Dog went into heat opening weekend!! Have some questions...

Nebraska

Dog went into heat opening weekend!! Have some questions...

Post by Nebraska » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:57 pm

My dog went into heat opening weekend - what a bummer!!! :roll:

This brings up some questions......

So, how long do I need to keep her under lock and key??

I'd hate to miss opening day every year; how much does their cycle fluctuate from year to year??

Eventually, we're going to start breeding her (around 4 years old) and have probably have one or two litters of pups. Is it best for the dog to have them back to back or spread them out over a few years?

Lastly, once our bitch is done having pups, when would be the best time (for her) to have her fixed??

Thanks.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Dog went into heat opening weekend!! Have some questions...

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:30 am

that's a female for you

and for a normal cycle about 3 weeks of lock down http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/U/UNP-0052/UNP-0052.pdf

as for litters..you are actually better to have litters sooner then later provided she passes basic health checks hips and free of medical issues and she has the qualities which a dog should have before being considered for reproducing.
Also be prepared to deal with pups that do not sell such as training them offering them as started dogs

Good luck
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:04 am

If she just started bleeding the end of last week (assuming you new 100% that was the first day) then I would have went ahead and hunted her unless she was just acting goofy.

The first day of bleeding is day 1. All dogs are different, but I have seen them stand from day 8 through day 17. Have been told days 11 to 13 is when most ovulate but you have to go to vet and get a progesterone test to be sure.

Why do you want to fix her after she has a litter of pups?

I have a female gettting bred right now who cycled in March, I thought she either skipped her fall cycle or I missed it. Now she is in heat 8 months after her last cycle.

Another female who was in heat the end of may just started spotting yesterday.

I guess what I am getting at is dogs are different, and no one is going to be able to lay you out a blue print.

Tom Lyles

Post by Tom Lyles » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:07 pm

it is not wise to breed a dog for the first time at the age of 4. there will be serious problems . talk to a vet before you do it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:36 pm

I have always consider three or four to be the very best of times to start breeding. I don't like to see someone wait till 7 or older though for the first litter.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.