Beef Necks

jbo

Beef Necks

Post by jbo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:35 am

So I have found a couple of packages of beef necks in the frezer from a steer my parents bought and I am pretty sure they won't use them. Will they if anything be detrimental to my dog?

If anything they might be able to be used as a treat, I looked at them and seem to be all bone with a little meat on them.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Beef Necks

Post by mcbosco » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:45 am

Beefs necks should be fine just feed them RAW and when they are done with them discardd them. They dried out and become brittle like all bones.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:49 pm

jbo wrote:So I have found a couple of packages of beef necks in the frezer from a steer my parents bought and I am pretty sure they won't use them. Will they if anything be detrimental to my dog?

If anything they might be able to be used as a treat, I looked at them and seem to be all bone with a little meat on them.

They are great soup bones when boiled to make your beef stock. But if you are sure they won't be used they are great like any bone for your dog to chew on before or after they are used.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:16 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
jbo wrote:So I have found a couple of packages of beef necks in the frezer from a steer my parents bought and I am pretty sure they won't use them. Will they if anything be detrimental to my dog?

They are great soup bones when boiled to make your beef stock. But if you are sure they won't be used they are great like any bone for your dog to chew on before or after they are used.

Ezzy[/quote

Your aren't suggesting he give them to the dog cooked are you?

Please don't, use them raw or use them for soup and get rid of them.

If the dog swallows a cooked bone or a piece of it will not digest and it could be sharp. A cooked bone is also bad on teeth and a bone that size could easily break the carnassial tooth. That tooth evolved to break raw bones not cooked.

Cane72

Post by Cane72 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:43 pm

What about hoofs and pig ears? I have always been told not to give them stuff like that. I don't know why but I never have.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:55 pm

Cow hooves break teeth too. Best to stick to Nylabones or chews toys designed to give before the teeth do. $15 on a Nylabone is 3 year investment, cheap in my book.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:40 pm

mcbosco wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy[/quote

Your aren't suggesting he give them to the dog cooked are you?

Please don't, use them raw or use them for soup and get rid of them.

If the dog swallows a cooked bone or a piece of it will not digest and it could be sharp. A cooked bone is also bad on teeth and a bone that size could easily break the carnassial tooth. That tooth evolved to break raw bones not cooked.

Yep, have never had a problem when they are boiled since that doesn't dry them and make them brittle. Small bones like the hollow chicken bones splinter and should never be fed but I wouldn't worry about most other bones. Dogs have been eating them for years and I think there may be a few buried in the back yard right now plus a lot of them at the farm that the dogs bring up to the yard. I had never used the hoofs till just recently my wife bought some for the dogs and I am impressed that they really like them and they last for longer than a couple of hours. Guess We have been lucky with not having a problem with dogs breaking teeth except for one Irish that broke his pulling on the kennel wire if you left him in the run while working other dogs.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

gripper39

Post by gripper39 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:24 pm

Couple months ago had my pup get a bone stuck around his lower jaw. Vet had to sedate and cut it off with a bone saw.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:35 pm

Couple months ago had my pup get a bone stuck around his lower jaw. Vet had to sedate and cut it off with a bone saw.
What kind of bone?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:23 pm

gripper39 wrote:Couple months ago had my pup get a bone stuck around his lower jaw. Vet had to sedate and cut it off with a bone saw.
I had that happen with a bone out of a round steak. It's the leg bone and they work at digging the marrow out of them. I just cut it off with a large pair of side cutters and try to split them before the dogs get to them since. Still makes me wonder just how they got it over the eye teeth when you can't get it back off.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:28 pm

Thats why I stick to chicken necks and backs, cheap, safe, easy to get in big boxes.