Advantix review

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Advantix review

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:27 pm

I have used frontline for years and years and still like it, but recently I had some resistant fleas that I used comfortis to get rid of. After that I began searching in earnest to find the best overall product or combinnation for my needs. In doing so I noticed that advantix claims to "repel biting flies" and my lab has serious issues with this and infact all the dogs have some issues every summer. So I bought a 4 pack and tried it for two months on the two dog with the biggest fly issue. Both also hunt and are exposed to ticks regularly, and fleas occasionally.

Advantix works just as well as frontline for the ticks.
It works the same to slightly better for fleas (in my area.)
I did in fact notice a significant decline in fly strike on both dogs. Still some, but much less.

the downside:
it is more expensive
there is more product to apply. Nearly twice as much. Not an issue for the lab, but had to split up the application to two sites on the GSP.
it has an odor, sort of like citrenella but not quite, not too bad
it will stain white fur a bit yellow.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Advantix review

Post by mcbosco » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:30 am

Advantix is a more complete product than Frontline because Frontline requires a bite on the dog to work. The only downside to Advantix other than cost is that it could harm cats in the household.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:53 am

Yes yes, that is also very true! It is toxic to cats. I have two cats and my dog come indoors, but they do not socialize with each other and in fact the cats go into hiding when the dogs are in the same room. There is no grooming or contact.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:05 am

actually frontline just requires the flea in contact with the dogs hair/skin (i think). that being said, i am personally convinced frontline is on its last legs as far as effectiveness. if only they would make comfortis that worked on ticks! thank goodness for the tick collars.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:17 am

Frontline says fleas and ticks only have to come in contact with the product on the coat and skin, but I have not observed this at all. I have found dead ticks imbedded in the skin many times, but not recently because neither fleas or ticks have been an issue. Maybe it is that effective in the short-term, but not after a few weeks.

The fast few seasons where I live have been so light that I couldn't even tell you if any work or not. I have pretty much decided I am not using any of them until I see a problem.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:47 am

mcbosco wrote:Frontline says fleas and ticks only have to come in contact with the product on the coat and skin, but I have not observed this at all. I have found dead ticks imbedded in the skin many times, but not recently because neither fleas or ticks have been an issue. Maybe it is that effective in the short-term, but not after a few weeks.

The fast few seasons where I live have been so light that I couldn't even tell you if any work or not. I have pretty much decided I am not using any of them until I see a problem.
What you are not considering is how long does it take to kill them. Ticks will die from exposure but in the mean time they may start to bite. Hence, you may find them somewhat enbedded but probably not fully. Don't think there is any product that repels them immediately that I have found

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:46 am

That is a good point. The process could be underway as they latch. I just have a hard time believing it can be effective through the hair for a variety of reasons, especially on a thin coated breed. In the layers of the skin makes more sense because the fiprolil is distributed through the sebaceous glands.

The big selling point of Advantix is that it will repel as well as kill. Tick, fleas, mosquitoes and flies. Hence the high price.

It has very high approval ratings.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:48 am

ezzy333 wrote:Don't think there is any product that repels them immediately that I have found

Ezzy
I dunno Ezzy, since using the Preventic collars I have yet to pick a single tick off the dogs when they are at the worst in spring/summmer. Maybe it's just blind dumb luck, but before Preventic, I would always pick a few off here and there.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:27 am

Chaingang wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Don't think there is any product that repels them immediately that I have found

Ezzy
I dunno Ezzy, since using the Preventic collars I have yet to pick a single tick off the dogs when they are at the worst in spring/summmer. Maybe it's just blind dumb luck, but before Preventic, I would always pick a few off here and there.
Sounds good. Where do you buy thm and how much are they?

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:53 pm

we carry the preventic collars, so i am sure you can get them at most vets. we charge about $15 and they last 3 months. worked great on my dogs this summer.

there is also a new collar out called scalibor, which professes to work on fleas and ticks, and last 6 months. i think its about $30. havent tried it yet, and havent sold many yet, so cant say how effective they are. supposed to be water resistant, too.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:58 pm

Doc,
Any downside to the preventic collar? Is it something you can put on and take off or is it a once on it stays on until no longer effective?

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:29 pm

lvrgsp wrote:Doc,
Any downside to the preventic collar? Is it something you can put on and take off or is it a once on it stays on until no longer effective?
no downside as far as i am concerned, my 3 dogs each wore one all summer long. ticks were bad prior to the collar, and virtually nil after. ones i did find on them were dead. my dogs ere in the pond alot, too.

the preventic colars are toxic to cats, though, so if your dog has a special feline buddy, it might not be a good idea.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:56 pm

Doc,

Don't the instructions for this collar recommend you wear latex gloves to put it on the dog? I also remember this collar being a problem around young pups. I have given up on preventing ticks if it means poisoning the dog or poisoning my family. I don't see deer ticks as a big enough risk to use dangerous products and the other tick species can easily be pulled off.

I have given up on ticks they win. :(

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:14 pm

mcbosco wrote:Doc,

Don't the instructions for this collar recommend you wear latex gloves to put it on the dog? I also remember this collar being a problem around young pups. I have given up on preventing ticks if it means poisoning the dog or poisoning my family. I don't see deer ticks as a big enough risk to use dangerous products and the other tick species can easily be pulled off.

I have given up on ticks they win. :(
I don't see where this is much more dangerous than any other chemical treatment and sure would be better than having the dog bring Lyme infected ticks or any other ticks into the house or on the kids. After taking 70 off of one dog after running for an hour in the alfalfa fields I vote for anything that works.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:28 pm

Ezzy, I agree but none of the other products recommend wearing latex gloves. In fact, Fipronil in Frontline is used on kids for lice.

People where I live have learned to deal with deer ticks & lyme and get symptoms taken care of if need be. Years ago you saw people wearing jeans with duct tape around their ankles in July but not anymore.

Doctors here don't believe that pets increase the risk of lyme in humans as deer ticks are not that mobile and really only one stage of the four life cycles is responsible for transmission and here that is early spring.

You can't poison yourself and your pets just for a few ticks. It really isn't worth it.

NJ is one of the worst places in the country for lyme but life goes on. That's how people here think about the risk.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:41 pm

mcbosco wrote:Ezzy, I agree but none of the other products recommend wearing latex gloves. In fact, Fipronil in Frontline is used on kids for lice.

People where I live have learned to deal with deer ticks & lyme and get symptoms taken care of if need be. Years ago you saw people wearing jeans with duct tape around their ankles in July but not anymore.

Doctors here don't believe that pets increase the risk of lyme in humans. You can't poison yourself and your pets just for a few ticks. It really isn't worth it.

NJ is one of the worst places in the country for lyme but life goes on.
Can't think of a single chemical that says don't get it on your skin, Frontline included and when you have to put on a collar the only way to keep it off of your skin is with gloves. I looked up the Prenentic collar and it say hse gloves if you are diabetic or one other reason I can't recall.

I agree dogs don't increase risk of Lyme's but if they bring ticks into your house that increases the risk. I just a not taking those chances so we still tape our pant legs and spray them heavily or better yet just tuck them into your boots. Sure helps but not a cure-all by any means.\

It makes way more sense to me to prevent rather than treat any tick borne disease.

JMO

Ezzy

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:03 pm

I'm gonna tell ya right now if I am pulling 70 ticks off one dog in an hour in an alfalfa field, I'd be buying me some noisy "bleep" guinea fowls they eat the crap out of em, njo way would I want to deal with ticks like that, especially in an alfalfa field

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:20 pm

lvrgsp wrote:I'm gonna tell ya right now if I am pulling 70 ticks off one dog in an hour in an alfalfa field, I'd be buying me some noisy "bleep" guinea fowls they eat the crap out of em, njo way would I want to deal with ticks like that, especially in an alfalfa field
Right on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ezzy

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Even though this is my review of ADVANTIX :roll: 8) I'll weigh in on the preventic and comfortis. Preventic -- LOVE it, but due to my job and stray dogs and cats all around fleas come around too. But it's "da bomb" for ticks and is very often used for demodex control in and even treatment in rescue dogs who are looking to be more cost effetive than dips and or ivomec. Preventic is the same ingredient, amitraz, that is in mitaban dip.
Comfortis LOVE it too, but not to be used in breeding dogs. It knowcked out my frontline resistant fleas fast and love that it lasts the whole month.
With the addition of the fly repelling, I think advantix is my best overall option. Besides comfortis is pricey enough to make you fall down! especially on alot of dogs.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:09 pm

mountaindogs wrote:Even though this is my review of ADVANTIX :roll: 8) I'll weigh in on the preventic and comfortis. Preventic -- LOVE it, but due to my job and stray dogs and cats all around fleas come around too. But it's "da bomb" for ticks and is very often used for demodex control in and even treatment in rescue dogs who are looking to be more cost effetive than dips and or ivomec. Preventic is the same ingredient, amitraz, that is in mitaban dip.
Comfortis LOVE it too, but not to be used in breeding dogs. It knowcked out my frontline resistant fleas fast and love that it lasts the whole month.
With the addition of the fly repelling, I think advantix is my best overall option. Besides comfortis is pricey enough to make you fall down! especially on alot of dogs.

i think i am gonna have to give the advantix a try. we have sold it since it came out, but i have never used it, dont know why.

at the prices we set, comfortis is actrually cheaper per dose than frontline.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:55 pm

I have really liked Comfortis...Tried it this yr and 2 weeks after one of my dogs had fleas again...Ugh...I just got Advantix and am liking it so far.....BudgetPetCare has 6, 2 free for 60. 12 with 4 free for 103. I ordered the 12....Not a bad deal...
brenda

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:27 am

the thing you have to remember about any flea or tick preventitive is this: there is NO product on the market that is going to kill the flea or tick that is 6 ft away from the dog! thay have to get on the animal in order to be exposed to the product and die.