How big should puppy be?

Qwernt

How big should puppy be?

Post by Qwernt » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:38 pm

Does anyone have a weight/growth chart - specifically I am looking for French Brittany. I ask, because we weighed our 5 1/2 month old girl and she is already pushing 30 lbs. Given that her parents are both around 35, I was a bit surprised. If the internet calculators I have seen are correct, then she is going to end up at 50-60 lbs, kinda big for a French Britt. She does not look heavy, I can't see her ribs, but she definitely does not look fat (when I mentioned to the vet that I was worried about her weight she assumed I meant too skinny). In fact it seems to be mostly muscle, especially when compared with puppies her own age (she is shaped and muscled like an adult where the other dogs tend to still be puppyish).
So, how fast do these gun dogs develop? I have an email out to the breeder (who isn't too technical, so he doesn't check the computer too regularly), but thought I would ask here.

Thanks

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: How big should puppy be?

Post by BigShooter » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:03 am

For many years with dogs you never knew for certain who the parents were, especially the sire. Now we have DNA testing available to verify parentage. I'm not saying that is the case here but if a dog ended up twice the size of its purported sire & dam I'd wonder.

Back to the case at hand. Individual dogs grow at different rates. Lots of pups shoot up pretty fast through the first six months or so, although it is not likely that pup will be the size of the dogs that were designated as its parents.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

jcorcoran

Post by jcorcoran » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:49 am

I have an intact female American Brittany that is now 14 months old. Out of curiosity I looked back to see what she weighed as a puppy. At 6 months she was 27 lbs, at a year she was 32 lbs. She didn't put much weight on between 6 months and a year, just seemed to get a little taller and longer. Today she is right at 34lbs.

Qwernt

Post by Qwernt » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:48 am

@BigShooter: 99.995% sure who the father is (breeder owns both and only had 1 breeding male at the time.

@JCorcoran: Thanks, that is what I have been hoping and assuming, good to know she may not be way off base.