Considering three brands made by Diamond

splucinski

Considering three brands made by Diamond

Post by splucinski » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:11 pm

I know, another dog food question. :oops: I'm considering three different brands, all made by Diamond I believe. I'm considering Taste of the Wild Wetlands, Canidae ALS and Diamond Naturals. I've never had any experience with TOTW or Diamond Naturals. I can get the TOTW for $39 for 30 lbs, Canidae $43 for 44 lbs and the Diamond Natural about $30 for 40 lbs. Obviously the Diamond is the better deal cost wise but I don't mind spending the money.

MikeB

Re: Considering three brands made by Diamond

Post by MikeB » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:43 pm

TOTW is grain free and is excellent but pricey. Not a fair comparison. It is 32/18 but only 375 k-cal per cup.

Canidae ALS 24/14 would be may #1 choice, they also make the same formula in grain free 34/18 & 498 k-cal/cup but not in 44# bags. Great dog food in my opinion. Higher Calorie than the rest.

What formula of Diamond Naturals? Chicken & Rice 26/16? If you shop at Costco you get the Kirkland Chicken Rice 26/16 & 400 k-cal/cup. for less money. Same as Diamond Naturals C/R.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:57 pm

Taste of The Wild & Diamond Naturals are actual Diamond products. Canidae is manufactured by Diamond for Canidae but its not owned by Diamond. Canidae is a completely separate company. Diamond makes foods for other companies as well like Solid Gold, etc.

Canidae had been made by Pied Piper before moving to Diamond. Canidae outgrew Pied Piper's manufacturing capacity so they say.

I wouldn't automatically say Diamond is a better deal because it is lower in calories per LB than Canidae and Canidae has a frequent buyer program. Where I live if you buy five 44lb bags the 6th bag is free, and in in NJ 44lbs is $37.99.

My local guy used to carry Diamond because he wanted a lower priced food on the shelves but the return rate was about 50% so he ditched it.

Canidae is also 100% GTD, no questions asked. I know several professionals that moved from Canidae to a house brand because of cost but were back in a matter of months.

People seem to love TOTW but its a relatively low calorie food so you might find Canidae a better value.

Are you close to Lisbon, Ohio? If so Ohio Pet Foods in Lisbon manufactures Annamaet for the Annamaet company in PA. Maybe they can hook you up. Annamaet Ultra is a great working dog food. Sled dog teams all over use it. It is about $1.25lb but its a very high calorie 32/20. Ohio Pet Foods also sells its own brand a 30/20 that is suppose to be quite good. Its called Master & Pet.

splucinski

Post by splucinski » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:41 am

Thanks for the info, I never thought about the caloric content. I'm about an hour from Lisbon, I used to travel through there all the time for work and I know right where OPF is. I may give them a call but for convenience, going with Canidae may be the most logical solution. The Canidae price includes tax at a small groomers shop, so far the best price I have found. Unfortunately, I don't have a Costco anywhere close to me, just Sams Club.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:48 am

Ask about the frequent buyers program!!!!

jbo

Post by jbo » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:45 am

Here where I live Canidae frequent buyer program is buy 12 get one free. Check into it because it can be different everywhere from what I understand after calling Canidae for clarification on this.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:23 am

With grain & fuel prices going up it wouldn't surprise me to see food prices rise 10% from here by Christmas.