Advantix alternative

JasonM

Advantix alternative

Post by JasonM » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:54 pm

I've been using Advantix exclusively for 5 yrs now and only found 2 ticks on the 3 dogs in that amount of time. I'm not in a heavily tick infested area, we have them here and there, but for whatever reason they are not as prevelant here. anyway, is there a cheaper alternative to the advantix? If I'm only going to save a few bucks then its probably not worth it. I've read some stories about people not having good luck w/ biospot, and also have read where people HAVE had good luck with it.

my second question is, what did people do say, 40 yrs ago, were products like frontline and advantix available??? I remember my grandfather just putting on a good ol flea collar and a monthly flea dip in the bathtub...that was about it.

I'm not trying to be cheap, just looking to save some money, well ok, maybe I'm cheap!

Jason
Jason

Maverick57

Re: Advantix alternative

Post by Maverick57 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:35 pm

Jason,

I use neither proudct, I keep the yard sprayed their kennels sprayed, A good dip once a month, and a F & T Collar,
My dogs are important to me from the mutt to the purebred to the rescue, But lets face it My money does not grow on trees, So I do the best I can with what I can, and so far it works . I have a border collie Heeler you just can not put that Bio spot or other stuff like that, it almost killed her the one and only time I did it. So we just do the best we can and it has worked for all these years.

Maverick57
Maverick 57

If you are not the lead Dog, The view never changes !

Good Girls Seldom Make History !

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:07 am

JasonM wrote:I've been using Advantix exclusively for 5 yrs now and only found 2 ticks on the 3 dogs in that amount of time. I'm not in a heavily tick infested area, we have them here and there, but for whatever reason they are not as prevelant here. anyway, is there a cheaper alternative to the advantix? If I'm only going to save a few bucks then its probably not worth it. I've read some stories about people not having good luck w/ biospot, and also have read where people HAVE had good luck with it.

my second question is, what did people do say, 40 yrs ago, were products like frontline and advantix available??? I remember my grandfather just putting on a good ol flea collar and a monthly flea dip in the bathtub...that was about it.

I'm not trying to be cheap, just looking to save some money, well ok, maybe I'm cheap!

Jason
We used nothing unless there was problem with fleas which was rare. We had a 1 gallon pickle jar filled with alcohol and we dropped the ticks in there.

I haven't needed anything since May 1st, which was the last time I used regular Frontline. Not a tick or flea in sight.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:11 am

I haven't needed anything since May 1st, which was the last time I used regular Frontline. Not a tick or flea in sight.
Same here and NY has one of the bigger populations of ticks besides MA. I used Advantix in the spring but not since. The ticks seem to be bad when the weather is warm and wet, late spring/early fall. Chloe is going on 12 yrs and I have found 1 tick on her. Max 2yrs and none. They both hike in fields and woods 5-6 days/week so they would potentially pick them up.

I know it is a debatable vaccine, but I do give them Lymes.

Jen

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:35 pm

JasonM wrote:I've been using Advantix exclusively for 5 yrs now and only found 2 ticks on the 3 dogs in that amount of time. I'm not in a heavily tick infested area, we have them here and there, but for whatever reason they are not as prevelant here. anyway, is there a cheaper alternative to the advantix? If I'm only going to save a few bucks then its probably not worth it. I've read some stories about people not having good luck w/ biospot, and also have read where people HAVE had good luck with it.

Jason
I like the "Preventic" collars. You can find them online for about $10 and they last 3 months.

I don't live in a tick infested area either but in the 2 years since I have been using them, I have yet to pull a tick off the dogs. What I noticed about the Preventic collars as compared to say Frontline was it's ability to keep ticks from attaching. With Frontline many times the ticks may attach and bite and die later. Nice thing also is if you do live in a heavily tick infested area they work well in conjunction with Frontline or other spot on's.

The only downside is that they are not effective against fleas. FWIW

Crystal kennels

Post by Crystal kennels » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:05 pm

Having good results here with Vectra 3D......I've been to tick infested NJ and southern PA and not a single tick. I would never use Preventic collars again...had a dog have a terrible reaction to the Amitraz. Heard of several more that had Amitraz poisoning from the Preventic collar.

Judy
German Shorthaired pointers proven on wild birds and in competition

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:40 pm

Crystal kennels wrote:Having good results here with Vectra 3D......I've been to tick infested NJ and southern PA and not a single tick. I would never use Preventic collars again...had a dog have a terrible reaction to the Amitraz. Heard of several more that had Amitraz poisoning from the Preventic collar.

Judy
Strange, been using them for 2 years and no problems here. I think Preventic is safe, but I suppose any individual can have a reaction to just about any of the flea and tick preventatives on the market. I do know that it is one of the few collars (if not the only one) recommended by veterinarians. I do know that some of the toxicity cases have been where dogs have chewed on or consumed the collars.

About all I can say is they work.... :)

Crystal kennels

Post by Crystal kennels » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:41 pm

I am a licensed vet tech and I used them initially because our rep said they were the BEST for tick protection. We were going to the UP hunting that Fall. Within 24 hours of applying the collar my one dog started coughing and had enlarged lymph nodes. I immediately took the collar off and bathed her. She started having neurological symptoms....falling over, unsteady (ataxia). She had residual symptoms for almost 6 weeks. I called the company and they confirmed it was Amitraz poisoning. I had a friend who had a setter and his dog had the same symptoms when using the Preventic collar. So....I personally won't use them. Amitraz is a powerful chemical that affects the neuro-motor systems on the ticks. That's why it works.........
German Shorthaired pointers proven on wild birds and in competition