Ivomec Continued

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Ivomec Continued

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:53 pm

Ivermectin is year round

and yes if you are comfortable with the dosage and the amounts you can start

My pups get started on Ivermectin at 6 weeks old
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:13 am

FYI and FWIW, i just saw a boston terrier/yorkie mix about an hour ago that was given ivomec horse wormer last night. Owners brought it in this morning because it was "BLIND"! dog actually wasnt blind, but its pupils were extremely dilated with NO pupillary light response, and that was definitely affecting its vision. they also mentioned it ran into a wall this AM and was stumbling. no stumbling or running into things here at the clinic, so hopefully its gonna return to normal.

young dog with no other abnormalities, and the ivomec was the only thing new in its life, so my best guess is thats what caused the problem. no way to tell for sure, of course, but definitely suspicious.

dilated pupils, blindness, and ataxia are all clinical signs of ivermectin toxicity.

wife tried to show me how much he got of the paste, but she wasnt sure. i bet he just got too much, and is a little more sensitive to it than other dogs. first time he had ever had it, i believe.

doc

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:19 pm

Always have to be aware of stuff for sure.

Just like with anyone some can be sensitive to stuff like allergies to meds. Wonder how much they gave the dog and was it just the ivermec or was it the ivermectin plus.

Mojo that the dog will be fine
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:41 pm

owners called back and said it was the agrimectin horse dewormer paste, 1.87%. also said the dog appears to be improving.

tn red

Post by tn red » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:57 pm

Years ago i had a plunger slip on ivomec horse wormer when i was worming a heeler & gave him 750 pounds worth.He was fine in a couple of days but dang he was blind & couldn't walk for a day or so.I sure learned to give it to em off my finger after that. :oops:

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:16 am

Gentlemen,
I do not use Ivormec any more, I have been using an extrernal product called Advocate for many years now. I believe its better for my dogs, and it works very very well
on just about every kind of paracite known to man. I also use Adams spray.
RGD/Dave

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:14 pm

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:Gentlemen,
I do not use Ivormec any more, I have been using an extrernal product called Advocate for many years now. I believe its better for my dogs, and it works very very well
on just about every kind of paracite known to man. I also use Adams spray.
RGD/Dave
I am sure it works fine but here is the info I found. Doesnt get tapeworms, and when it says it "treats intestinal worm" ......that tells me it only gets certain worms in certain stages of life, and does not kill them all. But it does seem like a broad range drug and is worth looking into. Thanks for the info.

Advocate® Features:

Kills fleas for at least one month
Treats intestinal worms
Kills flea larvae in pets' surroundings
Is a liquid applied on the skin
Is water-resistant
Treats mites
Does not treat tapeworm
Contains Imidacloprid and Moxidectin
Always read instruction thoroughly before administering this product

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:27 pm

I do not see where it says Kills Heartworm as that is the prime reason for giving Ivermectin

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:53 pm

Its made by Bayer the "multi" version does heartworms. I have seen it but named Advantage Multi.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:12 pm

kninebirddog wrote:I do not see where it says Kills Heartworm as that is the prime reason for giving Ivermectin

Do a yahoo search, it is a heartworm preventative just like Ivermectin, I must have missed it when I copied and pasted.

I am no vet, but I do not think Ivermectin "kills" heartworms, it prevents.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:47 pm

ivermectin Kills the larvae stage and will also kill the microfilariae stages but it does not kill the adult stage worm but Ivermectin will sterilize the adult stage worm
Ok here it is from the Heartworm Website

If I remember correctly they shot version which was given every 6 months is no longer available

As for ivermectin at least this you can get from the feed store with out the high cost of fancy packaging

Pet Owner Resources | Canine Heartworm
A A A Print Article
Canine Heartworm AnimationCanine Heartworm Disease

* Canine Heartworm Disease
* Clinical Signs
* Diagnosis
* Treatments
* Preventatives
* Canine Brochure

Canine Heartworm Disease

Dogs are considered the definitive host for heartworms ( Dirofilaria immitis). However, heartworms may infect more than 30 species of animals (e.g., coyotes, foxes, wolves and other wild canids, domestic cats and wild felids, ferrets, sea lions, etc.) and humans as well. When a mosquito carrying infective heartworm larvae bites a dog and transmits the infection, the larvae grow, develop and migrate in the body over a period of several months to become sexually mature male and female worms. These reside in the heart, lungs and associated blood vessels. As mature adults, the worms mate and the females release their offspring (microfilariae), pronounced: (micro-fil-ar-ee-a), into the blood stream.

Offspring can be detected in the blood (pre-patent period) about six to seven months after the infective larvae from the mosquito enter the dog. The male heartworms (four to six inches in length) and the females (10-12 inches) become fully grown about one year after infection, and their life span in dogs appears to average up to five to seven years.
Elimination of Microfilariae

The most effective drugs for this purpose are the macrocyclic lactone (ML) anthelmintics, i.e.,milbemycin oxime, selamectin, moxidectin and ivermectin. These drugs are the active ingredients in commonly used heartworm preventives. Although their usage as microfilaricides has not been approved by the FDA, they are widely used by veterinarians as there are no approved microfilaricidal drugs currently available. It is recommended that microfilariae positive dogs being treated with these macrocyclic lactones be hospitalized for at least eight hours following treatment for observation of possible adverse reactions, including those resulting from rapid death of the microfilariae.

Circulating microfilariae usually can be eliminated within a few weeks by the administration of the ML-type drugs mentioned above. Today however, the most widely used microfilaricidal treatment is to simply administer ML preventives as usual, and the microfilariae will be cleared slowly over a period of about six to nine months.
Confirmation of Adulticide Efficacy

The goal of adulticide treatment is the elimination of all adult heartworms. However, clinical improvement in dogs treated for heartworm infection is possible without completely eliminating the adult heartworms. Heartworm antigen testing is the most reliable method of confirming the efficacy of adulticide therapy. If all the adult worms have been destroyed or very few survive, heartworm antigen should be undetectable after six months post-adulticide. Dogs that remain antigen positive at that time could be considered a potential candidate for repeat treatment with an adulticide only after a full review of each case. In some cases, an alternative is to not retreat with the arsenical but to continue with a preventive such as ivermectin which will gradually eliminate the remaining worms.
Preventives

While treatment of canine heartworm disease is usually successful, prevention of the disease is much safer and more economical. There are a variety of options for preventing heartworm infection, including daily and monthly tablets and chewables, monthly topicals and a six-month injectable product. These products are extremely effective and when administered properly on a timely schedule, heartworm infection can be prevented.

The American Heartworm Society is now recommending year-round prevention, even in seasonal areas. One reason for this is compliance – to make sure the medicine has been given properly by the pet owner. In addition, most monthly heartworm preventives have activity against intestinal parasites. Many of these same intestinal parasites that infect dogs can also infect people, with estimated infections occurring in three to six million people every year. So this added benefit of monthly deworming makes great sense.

Before starting a preventive program, all dogs that could possibly be infected with mature heartworms should be tested.
Macrocyclic Lactone (ML)

Macrocyclic lactones are highly effective parasiticides used in preventing heartworm infections. Their primary benefits lie in their safety and ease of administration of once- monthly doses. Each of the macrocyclic lactones can have additional intestinal parasite or external parasite activity, which could be the determining factor that a veterinarian uses to recommend a particular product for a certain region or an individual situation.
Ivermectin

Ivermectin (Heartgard® & Heartgard® Plus by Merial, Iverhart® Plus & Iverhart MAX™ by Virbac and Tri-Heart® Plus by Schering-Plough) was the first in this family of drugs to be approved for preventing heartworm infection. An infection with larvae as long as two months prior to the initiation of ivermectin treatment will be blocked from development.
Milbemycin

Milbemycin oxime (Interceptor® & Sentinel® by Novartis) has benefits, which are similar to ivermectin.
Selamectin

Selamectin (Revolution® by Pfizer) is applied topically to prevent heartworm disease.
Moxidectin

Moxidectin (Advantage Multi™ by Bayer) is available in a topical formulation, in combination with a flea control product, imidacloprid. Moxidectin is also available as a six-month injectable product for dogs (ProHeart®6 (moxidectin) Sustained Release Injectable for Dogs, by Fort Dodge Animal Health).

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:58 am

kninebirddog, I understand what you are saying now. When you said it would kill heartworms, I took it like you meant that if I took a dog to the vet and it was positive for heartworms (adult) then all you have to do was give it some ivermectin and the dog would be fine.

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:12 pm

I have had to put 3 dogs through the treatment for Heartworms that were rescues and positive.

A Heartworm (Adult) only has a certain life span. So when using Ivermectin it is killing off the eggs/larva that is laid by the adults (if they are present) or if a bug bites the dog and puts eggs/larva in the dogs system it kills those as well.

If a dog IS Heartworm Positive you CAN treat it with Ivomectin only but this take A LOT of time as you may have adult Heartworms that are different ages. But EVENTUALLY ALL the adult HW would die off. This being said if it is a severe case of HW this would NOT be a good option as it would be too slow and the HW could kill the dog still. To only way to kill off the adult HW before it reaches the phase where it would die naturally is through using Immiticide, a drug containing arsenic. It is very expensive and depending on how severe the HW it can be VERY dangerous too. Prevention is KEY with HW.
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

Merle

Post by Merle » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:20 pm

For those using ivomec I am curious to know how many of you use it all year long or only during the "mosquito months"? I have been using the .1/10lbs dosage but only from March til November. Not many mosquitoes around here in the winter. Never spent much time in the South but I'm guessing mosquitoes may be a year round problem down there.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:00 am

Central Illinois here and I use it year round...

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:16 am

Merle wrote:For those using ivomec I am curious to know how many of you use it all year long
I give 1cc through the summer months and 1/2 cc through fall, winter, and spring.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:46 am

Ron R wrote:
Merle wrote:For those using ivomec I am curious to know how many of you use it all year long
I give 1cc through the summer months and 1/2 cc through fall, winter, and spring.
I use it year long....

1cc of 1 % Ivermec is 10,000 micro grams, an interceptor tab from the vet is just under 300 micro grams.

I give my dogs .10 cc (1000 micrograms) and every third month or so I give them .20 cc's (2000 micrograms).
Last edited by birddog1968 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:50 am

Southern Ohio and I give it year around. Ivermectin is cheap and there is no sense in taking any risks.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:49 am

MOOSE wrote:I have had to put 3 dogs through the treatment for Heartworms that were rescues and positive.

A Heartworm (Adult) only has a certain life span. So when using Ivermectin it is killing off the eggs/larva that is laid by the adults (if they are present) or if a bug bites the dog and puts eggs/larva in the dogs system it kills those as well.

If a dog IS Heartworm Positive you CAN treat it with Ivomectin only but this take A LOT of time as you may have adult Heartworms that are different ages. But EVENTUALLY ALL the adult HW would die off. This being said if it is a severe case of HW this would NOT be a good option as it would be too slow and the HW could kill the dog still. To only way to kill off the adult HW before it reaches the phase where it would die naturally is through using Immiticide, a drug containing arsenic. It is very expensive and depending on how severe the HW it can be VERY dangerous too. Prevention is KEY with HW.
Are you meaning you put three dogs through the Ivomec treatment you are talking about......or the arsenic at the vet?

QuailHollow

Post by QuailHollow » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:31 am

I use the Cattle injectible 1% Ivomec (in the black box) every month:
-- 0.1cc per 11lbs of body weight. (note: cc & ml are the same)

For example, my English Pointer is 75lbs. He gets 0.7cc of Ivormec every month.

Buy a 3ml syringe at Tractor Supply to withdrawal out the correct dosage - twist the needle off, and squirt it into their mouths. Give orally once per month. Much quicker and infinitely more accurate than the paste. Recently had one of my 4 year old dogs tested for internal parasites and heart worm, all of which came back negative. And my dogs eat chicken crap and roll in horse manure all the time. Since I know my dogs are MDR1 normal/normal, I don't worry about an overdose.

You can also rotate your wormer by using Fenbendazole. The liquid goat wormer is easiest - SafeGuard. Use for 3 - 5 days, follow-up in two weeks.

All the information you need is in this book. I have it, and yes - that is where the dosage regimen came from: http://www.oldcountryvet.com/

kumate

Post by kumate » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:43 pm

Cool book thanks for the link

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:08 am

I had to put 2 dogs through Arsenic treatments. It wasn't fun.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:37 am

I may have missed this and I'm sure I did but is the Ivermectin treatment a once a month deal like the pills? I've used it for treatment of Red Mange but never for heartworm prevent.

Also I see guys using paste, or putting it on bread or peanut butter. Whats wrong with just squirting the 1 percent injectable directly on their dog food?

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:33 am

duckn66 wrote:I may have missed this and I'm sure I did but is the Ivermectin treatment a once a month deal like the pills? I've used it for treatment of Red Mange but never for heartworm prevent.

Also I see guys using paste, or putting it on bread or peanut butter. Whats wrong with just squirting the 1 percent injectable directly on their dog food?
Yeah once a month, you can use the 1% like that if they will eat it but if you have one dog the liquid is expensive and you probably wont use it before it expires. If you have 6 dogs let's say then maybe the liquid makes sense but its probably better if you put the liquid on a piece of bread with something to mask the bitter flavor. Vanilla yogurt sounds good.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:55 am

I have 5 dogs. Yogurt sounds like an awesome idea!

Thanks for the reply!

frontline

Post by frontline » Wed May 08, 2013 3:22 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Been using Ivomec given orally at the dosage Ezzy posted (or a bit higher) for years, and our fleas must be tougher than his. Try not to leave a tick on a dog long enough to know if its been poisoned, so I can't speak as confidently about whether it affects them.
Ivomectin is not a flea or tick preventative. Ezzy's dogs not having fleas has nothing to do with ivomectin.

frontline

Post by frontline » Wed May 08, 2013 3:25 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
o__o wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:All I know about Ivomec usage is that I do not have any fleas and rarely a tick on the dogs since I have been using it.
Ezzy
So you do get ticks?
You get ticks with any preventative. They get on the dog and bite but then die if the preventative is working. Not much else you can do about them if you have them around. Don't know of any that will keep all of them off of the dog or you though some things do help.

Ezzy
Not true. Revolution prevents American Dog Ticks (not deer ticks) and when I used it I never had even one tick on any of my dogs.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:24 pm

I have no idea what an American Dog Tick is but I do know a little about Wood and Deer Ticks that are quite abundant in much of the US.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

frontline

Post by frontline » Wed May 08, 2013 8:41 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I have no idea what an American Dog Tick is but I do know a little about Wood and Deer Ticks that are quite abundant in much of the US.

Ezzy
Look it up then.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed May 08, 2013 10:08 pm

QuailHollow wrote:
All the information you need is in this book. I have it, and yes - that is where the dosage regimen came from: http://www.oldcountryvet.com/
I've used Dr. Busby for a number of years when we're in northern MN. Very sharp 3rd generation Vet.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it