Ivomec Continued

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Ivomec Continued

Post by birddogger » Mon May 31, 2010 4:58 pm

o__o wrote:Thanks for the most informative thread on this subject I could find. I have a syringe of IVERMECTIN paste 1.87% and I wish to administer it to two dogs for heartworm prevention, one is 45 pounds the other is 15 pounds (Fox Terrier). According to Heartgard for a 45 lb dog, they require 122 micrograms, and the 15 pound dog requires 40 micrograms.

A tube of this 1.87% paste contains enough for a 1250 pound horse at a dosage of 91 micrograms per pound. That gives me 113750 micrograms of IVERMECTIN in this 6.08 gram tube.

I am expecting to extract the entire product and dilute it down probably about 19:1 to arrive at a workable product that I can safely administer. Propylene Glycol has been suggested to use as the dilution liquid, and has the advantage of changing the paste into a liquid.

Should I dilute the paste by weight or by volume?

Any other suggestions for dilution liquid?
Why dilute it? Just curious...I use the paste, one click for 5o# dogs...I just push it out on my finger and rub it off on the roof of the mouth.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

o__o

Re: Ivomec ?

Post by o__o » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:12 am

birddogger wrote:Why dilute it? Just curious...I use the paste, one click for 5o# dogs...I just push it out on my finger and rub it off on the roof of the mouth.

Charlie
If my calculations are correct, this 6.08 gram tube contains enough for 1 - 1250 pound horse at 91 micrograms (.000091) per pound that puts .11375 grams of product in the tube, or 113750 micrograms of Ivermectin. Each 'click is 50 pounds, so one click will dispense roughly 4550 micrograms of Ivermectin.

If I where to buy Heartgard, my 15 pound little Fox Terrier would get the 68 mgm tablet (although he only requires 40 micrograms at 2.72 mgms per pound). My 45 pound mix breed would get the 136 mgms tablet, although she would only require 122 mgms.

A 50 pound dog requires 136 mgms, and you are dispensing 4550 mgms with one click.

Please correct me if I am wrong on these calculations.

Please excuse me, but my O.C.D. is kicking in :oops: I found this great recap on another site and thought I would bring it here.
DOSAGE SUMMARY: I do not recommend anything, I am just sharing my calculations to maybe help prevent a problem.

Heartgard's dosage level: 2.72 microgram (mcg) per pound of dog
A 1% solution (like Ivomec) contains 10,000 mcg in just one ml of undiluted, from the bottle, solution. For a 100 lb dog, you only need 272 mcg (.272 mg) of ivermectin ingredient and that is contained in only .0272 ml (cc) of 1% undiluted solution. Tiny amount per month folks to equal Heartgard's dosage. So the corrected chart posted by dog nut is for that level:

Dogs weight = volume of 1% undiluted solution
10 lbs = .0027 cc or ml (call it .003)
20 lbs = .0055 cc or ml
30 lbs = .0082 cc or ml
40 lbs = .011 cc or ml
50 lbs = .013 cc or ml
60 lbs = .016 cc or ml
70 lbs = .019 cc or ml
80 lbs = .022 cc or ml
90 lbs = .025 cc or ml
100 lbs = .027 cc or ml

You need a tiny syringe. But recall that 50 lbs to 100 lbs can all take the .027ml, roughly .03 ml, dose. Understand that .03cc is 3/100 of a cc. NOT 3 tenths!

All the dilutions reduce the amount of ivermectin per cc, so that you can have more liquid to more easily measure it out but still get the same total amount of ivermectin ingredient.

If others are correct, then .1 (1/10th)cc per 10 pounds is a safe max maybe. That is .01 ml per pound which delivers 100 mcg per pound. Do realize that is much much higher than the Heartgard dose of 2.72 mcg per lb. 30 times plus.

If you dilute the original 1% solution, 1 part to 9 parts other liquid (options in above thread, but not water), then you could use this diluted solution at the same 1/10 cc per 10 lbs of dog ratio but then your dog would get 10 mcg per pound. Safer likely but still above the 2.72 mcg Heartgard.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:30 am

The advantage of using it like most of us do is it takes care of other worms plus I never see a flea on the dogs. I have not had to worm the dogs since I started several yeears ago with the 1% solution used at .1 per 10 pounds. The other advantage of the ivomec is that it is nearly impossible to overdose to a serious level.

JMO

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:45 am

If my calculations are correct, this 6.08 gram tube contains enough for 1 - 1250 pound horse at 91 micrograms (.000091) per pound that puts .11375 grams of product in the tube, or 113750 micrograms of Ivermectin. Each 'click is 50 pounds, so one click will dispense roughly 4550 micrograms of Ivermectin.

If I where to buy Heartgard, my 15 pound little Fox Terrier would get the 68 mgm tablet (although he only requires 40 micrograms at 2.72 mgms per pound). My 45 pound mix breed would get the 136 mgms tablet, although she would only require 122 mgms.

A 50 pound dog requires 136 mgms, and you are dispensing 4550 mgms with one click.

Please correct me if I am wrong on these calculations.

Please excuse me, but my O.C.D. is kicking in :oops: I found this great recap on another site and thought I would bring it here.
Like I said I was just curious. I am using the paste according to the way I have read others are using it. There has never been a problem, but if I am doing wrong, I need to know and I will do things differently. Hopefully there will be some more comments on this.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

o__o

Post by o__o » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:23 am

birddogger wrote: Like I said I was just curious. I am using the paste according to the way I have read others are using it. There has never been a problem, but if I am doing wrong, I need to know and I will do things differently. Hopefully there will be some more comments on this.

Charlie
Charlie: The ONE thing I have found out about this drug, is its wide latitude for dosing, and normally it appears with no ill effects. Since it is used for a range of maladies from PREVENTION to curing stuff like MANGE it appears that it is tolerated very well. I don't know HOW accurate these numbers are, but I found them interesting enough to take a note of them, please take them with a grain of salt, I can't attest to their validity:
Non-Sensitive Breeds:
Max 100% Safe: .91 ml/10 lbs = 90 microgms/Kg
Minor Symptoms: 1.41 ml/10 lbs = 2500 microgms/Kg
Lowest Possible Fatal: 18.18 ml/10 lbs = 40,000 microgms/Kg

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:09 am

I'm not a DVM or MD, so take this with a grain of salt. For my 50 lb dogs, I use the 1.87% horse paste and put a half-click's worth, the size of a small pearl, on my finger, then wipe it on their tongue.

o__o

Post by o__o » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:50 am

Ok, I ordered a 16 OZ bottle of pure Propylene Glycol, I calculate it holds 473 milliliters of liquid.

Adding the entire tube of ivermectin to this bottle of the Propylene Glycol liquid I round up to 480 milliliters of mixed product.

My dogs require:

Pepper = 122 micrograms of ivermectin

Milo = 40 micrograms of ivermectin

Here is a formula I worked up based on a tube of 1.87% and a 480 milliliter bottle of liquid:

1. Multiply your dogs weight in pounds by 2.72 micrograms

2. Divide that number into 113750 micrograms (amount of the drug in one 6.08 oz tube of Equine 1.87% Ivermectin paste)

3. Divide that number into 480 (the milliliter amount of the mixture)

That will give you the dosage amount in milliliters for that dog using 1.87% ivermectin.

So, for Pepper,
1. I multiply 45 pounds times 2.72 and that equals: 122.4 micrograms
2. I divide 122.4 into 113750 to get: 929.3 monthly doses in one tube
3. I divide 929.3 into 480 milliliters and I arrive at the dosage: .52 ml or c.c.

Milo,
1. 15 lbs X 2.72 micrograms = 41 micrograms
2. 113750 micrograms / 40.8 micrograms = 2788 doses
3. 480 milliliters / 2788 doses = .17 ml or c.c.

I ordered the food grade Propylene Glycol from: http://www.boilerandcoolingwater.com/Fo ... ol-16z.htm They have free shipping, and I got my product in three days.
Last edited by o__o on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

o__o

Re: Ivomec Continued

Post by o__o » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:52 am

Another oddity, and probably just a marketing hype from Pfizer. This "safe, simple way to protect your dog from heartworms, fleas and other harmful parasites" according to pfizer, can only be purchased with a Dr.'s prescription, as I am sure you all know, and which is why you are reading this thread. The curious thing is that it advertises their drug selamectin as the active ingredient, and it is applied the same way any flea and tick preventative would be applied, along the spine at the base of the fur of the animal.

I did a web search to find out what selamectin was, and didn't come up with much, but I did find a study done to compare the effectiveness between ivermectin, selamectin and mebendazole http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18295404. The conclusion showed equal efficacy. Selamectin must simply be pfizer's new, patented, over-priced product that's the same as the good ole ivermectin. heck, a year's worth of Revolution for Pepper would cost me over $150! I just wonder if there is any need to apply a flea/tick topical medication while administering ivermectin orally, or should the ivermectin be applied topically along the spine to eliminate fleas/ticks AND heartworms?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:19 am

o__o wrote:Another oddity, and probably just a marketing hype from Pfizer. This "safe, simple way to protect your dog from heartworms, fleas and other harmful parasites" according to pfizer, can only be purchased with a Dr.'s prescription, as I am sure you all know, and which is why you are reading this thread. The curious thing is that it advertises their drug selamectin as the active ingredient, and it is applied the same way any flea and tick preventative would be applied, along the spine at the base of the fur of the animal.

I did a web search to find out what selamectin was, and didn't come up with much, but I did find a study done to compare the effectiveness between ivermectin, selamectin and mebendazole http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18295404. The conclusion showed equal efficacy. Selamectin must simply be pfizer's new, patented, over-priced product that's the same as the good ole ivermectin. heck, a year's worth of Revolution for Pepper would cost me over $150! I just wonder if there is any need to apply a flea/tick topical medication while administering ivermectin orally, or should the ivermectin be applied topically along the spine to eliminate fleas/ticks AND heartworms?
I don't quite understand the comment over priced when you say you know nothing about it. And from experience I find it hard to overprice something if you want to get the money back in a reasonable amount of time when it takes millions of dollars to perform all of the testing that is required before you can offer a product for sale. The cost is why we don't have approval for many drugs on certain animals since the demand would never pay for the cost of getting it approved. Example is Ivomec for dogs, we all know it works but the company can't afford to do the testing so they can approve it for dogs.

All I know about Ivomec usage is that I do not have any fleas and rarely a tick on the dogs since I have been using it. But I use it at the .1cc for every 10 lbs of body weight on all of the dogs starting at 4 to 5 months of ageand give it by lining up peices of bread putting the required amount on each bite sized piece and feeding it to the dogs. If you have a dog that doesn't want to eat the bread shoot it in their mouth or put peanut butter on the bread. Very simple and works with no fuss or mess.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

o__o

Post by o__o » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:19 am

ezzy333 wrote:All I know about Ivomec usage is that I do not have any fleas and rarely a tick on the dogs since I have been using it.
Ezzy
So you do get ticks?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:32 am

o__o wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:All I know about Ivomec usage is that I do not have any fleas and rarely a tick on the dogs since I have been using it.
Ezzy
So you do get ticks?
You get ticks with any preventative. They get on the dog and bite but then die if the preventative is working. Not much else you can do about them if you have them around. Don't know of any that will keep all of them off of the dog or you though some things do help.

Ezzy

o__o

Post by o__o » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:55 am

ezzy333 wrote:I don't quite understand the comment over priced when you say you know nothing about it. And from experience I find it hard to overprice something if you want to get the money back in a reasonable amount of time when it takes millions of dollars to perform all of the testing that is required before you can offer a product for sale. The cost is why we don't have approval for many drugs on certain animals since the demand would never pay for the cost of getting it approved. Example is Ivomec for dogs, we all know it works but the company can't afford to do the testing so they can approve it for dogs. Ezzy
I would think we should be grateful that Ivomec is NOT approved for dogs, it would then, require a prescription, and probably cost ten times more.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:17 am

Been using Ivomec given orally at the dosage Ezzy posted (or a bit higher) for years, and our fleas must be tougher than his. Try not to leave a tick on a dog long enough to know if its been poisoned, so I can't speak as confidently about whether it affects them.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:26 am

o__o wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:I don't quite understand the comment over priced when you say you know nothing about it. And from experience I find it hard to overprice something if you want to get the money back in a reasonable amount of time when it takes millions of dollars to perform all of the testing that is required before you can offer a product for sale. The cost is why we don't have approval for many drugs on certain animals since the demand would never pay for the cost of getting it approved. Example is Ivomec for dogs, we all know it works but the company can't afford to do the testing so they can approve it for dogs. Ezzy
I would think we should be grateful that Ivomec is NOT approved for dogs, it would then, require a prescription, and probably cost ten times more.
If Ivomec required a prescription you wouldn't be able to buy it now.

Ezzy

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:24 am

I've read, but do not know first hand, that the .1cc/10lbs dosage of Ivermectin will kill fleas, but only for a few days. The rest of the 1-month between, it does not.

I formerly used the .1/10lbs and later cut it to .05cc/10lbs. Hence why I use 1/2 click of the 1.87% paste rather than the 1 click that others use.

That 1/2 click is about the least that I want to try to measure. When/if I get another pup, I'll probably use Heartguard till the pups gets to about 50 lbs.

I guess I could dilute the liquid, but I find the paste wormer very convenient.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:33 am

I also use the 1/10CC average on my dogs ...I usually give my adult dogs .5 cc or 1/2 cc and my pups I start at 6 weeks old with 1/10th cc I can tell you for fact the the ivermec at this dose will zap out round worms as pups That I purchase I will treats and have seen the spaghetti mess from those pups where the puppy wormers that were being used on them didn't work ..I once purchased the forsers smith weaken version of nemex II and wormed a 2week and 4 weeks and when I did my Ivermectin at 6 weeks the pups had round worms so learned about the generic version of small animal wormers and the difference about large animal wormers there also ...the new stuff i get through the a to z vet supply works well and is cost effective

Heartguard is the most minimal amount to cover just enough for the heartworm unfortunately they put a high price to package it and make it meaty little junks which for the household with a couple is fine but when you have a kennel full of dogs it is not cost effective when one can purchase a 50ml bottle approx 100 doses for about 35-50 bucks a bottle

as for fleas ..I really couldn't say if it truly works or not, as for ticks ..it doesn't work I tested that theory when we were in Texas
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

o__o

Post by o__o » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:12 am

Greg Jennings wrote:I guess I could dilute the liquid, but I find the paste wormer very convenient.
Try diluting the 1.87% paste Ivermectin as I have outlined above with 16 oz. of propylene glycol, it mixes really well, propylene glycol is the same stuff that is in the paste. Once mixed, you can store it in the fridge, the bottle is about the size of two slices of bread stacked. If you are looking for just a heartworm dosage, use the formula I have figured out for you, if you need more, it would be simple to go from there. The bottle of glycol cost me about $16.00 I think. So I have about $21.00 invested and have made enough heartworm preventative to dose about 700 dogs!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:36 am

o__o wrote:
Greg Jennings wrote:I guess I could dilute the liquid, but I find the paste wormer very convenient.
Try diluting the 1.87% paste Ivermectin as I have outlined above with 16 oz. of propylene glycol, it mixes really well, propylene glycol is the same stuff that is in the paste. Once mixed, you can store it in the fridge, the bottle is about the size of two slices of bread stacked. If you are looking for just a heartworm dosage, use the formula I have figured out for you, if you need more, it would be simple to go from there. The bottle of glycol cost me about $16.00 I think. So I have about $21.00 invested and have made enough heartworm preventative to dose about 700 dogs!

I wonder if anyone sells a more precise syringe for paste-type products?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:38 am

o__o wrote:
I hope you realize the Ivomec is a dated material with a shelf life and most of it on the shelf has at most a 3 year life. I haven't lookedat the date on the pastebut if you have enough for 700 doses and you are going touse 36 of those doses in 3 years for your dog. that seems like a lot of work to go to with no benefit to you or the dog and then on top of that you will have to throw most of it away.

I must be missing something because this doesn't make sense to me.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:50 am

There are 80 doses for HW in a $10 tube of plain Zimectrin for a dog the size of mine. I would gladly throw some away if I could dose it precisely. The generic stuff is as little as $5.

Shame on Merial.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:42 pm

ezzy333 wrote: I hope you realize the Ivomec is a dated material with a shelf life and most of it on the shelf has at most a 3 year life. I haven't lookedat the date on the pastebut if you have enough for 700 doses and you are going touse 36 of those doses in 3 years for your dog. that seems like a lot of work to go to with no benefit to you or the dog and then on top of that you will have to throw most of it away.

I must be missing something because this doesn't make sense to me.
And that's half of why I went to the paste that I buy local for $3.00 per tube versus the 50ml liquid that I have to pay shipping. That one tube takes care of both of my dogs for almost a year. With the liquid, I ended up throwing it away when it expired.

I've heard that you can refrigerate ivermectin liquid, but I'm very conservative and follow the label for conditions and expiration.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:16 pm

I bought a bottle mid summer 09, its dated expiration is may 2013......so a bottle stored properly last quite awhile.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:43 pm

My vet recommended a compounding pharmacy that will figure out the dose and mix paste ivermectin for my dog. He thinks its will cost twice as much as the Zimectrin horse paste. So for $25 i will get 80 doses roughly. He also said they can add pyrantel.

I will keep you posted sounds to good to be true, price-wise.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:17 pm

o__o wrote:
I'm administering a higher dose than you have calculated in order to cover worms other than heartworms. And it's just too danged easy to buy about one tube per year, squirt a half click on my finger and wipe it on the dog's tongue.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:38 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:
o__o wrote:
I'm administering a higher dose than you have calculated in order to cover worms other than heartworms. And it's just too danged easy to buy about one tube per year, squirt a half click on my finger and wipe it on the dog's tongue.
I just do not understand this whole thread. Sounds like people finding something easy that works and trying to make it harder. Just doesn't mke sense.

Ezzy

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:43 pm

Yep.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:45 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Sounds like people finding something easy that works and trying to make it harder. Just doesn't mke sense.

Ezzy
Kind of like agonizing over which "premium" brand of dog food to feed.

o__o

Post by o__o » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:20 pm

I have a 15 pound Fox Terrier. I didn't want to taking a chance on overdosing him enough to cause blindness, or worse. I also didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars when I knew I could figure out how to do it safely myself. I looked at the 1% liquid, but the cheaper 1.87% paste intrigued me. I researched how to convert this 1.87% paste to safely administer it to pooches, and came up empty. Many folks couldn't figure it out, and others just eyeballed it. I didn't want either, so I decided to figure it out, which I did.

Simple as that. I know I don't belong here, I don't have a GunDog. But threads I found on your forum seemed to be more inquisitive and timely, so I thought I would share my findings here. Sorry for the confusion I may have caused some of you, maybe it is a bit too complicated, I tried to explain what I did, and found, in a way that anyone could understand. Reading over some of these responses, I believe I have failed.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:30 pm

Don;t sweat it buddy, you done fine. Hats off for being so thorough.

The pro I work with is also worried about things like Liver damage and such....he cuts his 1 % solution down with propylene glycol and gives
far less than 1/10th of a CC per 10lbs. Its worked well for him for years. Every 6 months he gives a stronger dose to control other parasites.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

tn red

Post by tn red » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:35 pm

If you want to you can cut the tip off of a 3cc syringe & make the opening larger to dose the dogs.I buy the safeguard for cattle that goes in a caulking gun to worm horses so i use a syringe to worm the dogs.I just put ivomec on my finger to worm the dogs tho.Just a thought :idea:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:48 pm

You belong here as much as any of us. One good thing about Ivomec is it is almost impossible to overdose

Ezzy

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:03 pm

http://www.equineproductsreview.com/?q= ... icity-dogs

10-20 times recommended dosage for dogs is where toxicity seems to start....Ive now read this on quite a few sites.

This page has been very helpful to me....
http://www.dogaware.com/health/ivomec.html

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:47 am

I heard back from a licensed compounding pharmacy in Arizona. For a 272 microgram dose of Ivermectin the cost is 50 cents a dose when you buy 100 doses.

Now that is some serious savings. Heartguard is about $5 a dose.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:06 am

We ought to send these findings to the people who make the dog tablets......

ridiculous. 100 times more money per dose is out of line.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:18 am

10 times, but thats enough for me. You can split the tablet for a dog below 50lbs, so its 25 cents a dose for say a Brit.

PM me for the link to the pharmacy, its licensed in all 50 states.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:24 am

Oh, right .....Duh....for some reason I got stuck on .05. my mistake.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:27 am

probably from the rage.....it really is amazing, i am getting a script and will split the order with a bunch of friends

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:39 am

I'm dosing enough dogs that the 1 % solution works for my purposes.

I may look into getting the .27 % solution next time tho.

If I only had one or two dogs to dose I might consider going the route you describe .....

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:12 am

o__o wrote:I have a 15 pound Fox Terrier.....
Simple as that. I know I don't belong here, I don't have a GunDog. But threads I found on your forum seemed to be more inquisitive and timely, so I thought I would share my findings here...... .
I don't have a GunDog either. But I have found that this forum is one of the few places for common sense advice on canine nutrition and health. People here can also agree to disagree without it becoming personal and overly emotional

jhorak

Post by jhorak » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:25 am

Greg Jennings wrote: I formerly used the .1/10lbs and later cut it to .05cc/10lbs. Hence why I use 1/2 click of the 1.87% paste rather than the 1 click that others use.
I just happened to stumble across this thread, but it's been extremely helpful. I purchased some of the Ivermectin and want to make sure I'm measuring it out correctly. Is a half click a "land" or a "groove" on the handle? I'm guessing a full click would be the equivalent of one land and one groove, is that correct? Thanks in advance!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:56 pm

A click is from one notch to the next notch.

jhorak

Post by jhorak » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:08 pm

Thanks!

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:12 pm

jhorak wrote:
Greg Jennings wrote: I formerly used the .1/10lbs and later cut it to .05cc/10lbs. Hence why I use 1/2 click of the 1.87% paste rather than the 1 click that others use.
I just happened to stumble across this thread, but it's been extremely helpful. I purchased some of the Ivermectin and want to make sure I'm measuring it out correctly. Is a half click a "land" or a "groove" on the handle? I'm guessing a full click would be the equivalent of one land and one groove, is that correct? Thanks in advance!
I have started to use the horse paste also, only been using it for about 4 months but have not had any problems and is super easy. Thanks for the info Greg Jennings

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:50 pm

Just picked up the horse paste, and don't think I'll look back. Easier to measure, and easy to use. Thanks for the great info......

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:53 am

gspmo1 wrote:Thanks for the info Greg Jennings
I can't take any credit for it. Ross Callaway and Charlie Rose first brought it up here.

That reminds me. I need to dose my dogs.

jhorak

Post by jhorak » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:12 pm

One last question. Do I need to supplement a .1cc/10 lbs dose of Ivomet with any other wormers in order to cover everything? I've read different things about whether or not it kills tapeworms. thanks.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:17 pm

It does not but tape worms are not normally much of a problem.

Ezzy

jhorak

Post by jhorak » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:29 pm

OKay, thanks. Do you give a bi-annual wormer for tapeworms, or something like that, or do you just not worry about them?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:12 pm

unless you are having a problem with fleas Tapeworms are not really a problem
and if they do get loaded with fleas then you will need a tape wormer as ivermectin will not kill them
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jbo

Post by jbo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:25 pm

Sorry, I just read through the thread and must have missed it but if using the wormer paste what is the dosage schedule, once a month year round? Also, my pup has been on heartguard for the past few months, next month could I start with the paste and not use heartguard anymore, he is 6 months old now?

Thanks