Raw bones or cooked bones?

shinbone

Raw bones or cooked bones?

Post by shinbone » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:30 am

Hi All,

I am back with another food question:

I would like to give my dog bones to chew on. I am not trying to replace regular dog food with bones or do some type of holistic new age "bone diet." I just want give the dog another enjoyable chewing option, in addition to his nylabones, kongs, etc.

I've read mixed messages on bones. Some people say don't give raw bones; some people say don't give cooked bones. Which is it? (Consideirng how these food questions usually go, I am sure some people are gonna say don't even have a bone in the same zip code as your dog . . . ) I know I see cooked bones in the pet stores all the time. My local butcher has beef knuckles for cheap.

Any suggestions?

TIA.

--shinbone

jlp8cornell

Re: Raw bones or cooked bones?

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:29 am

I feed raw marrow bones to my guys. I buy a bunch, throw them in the freezer and give them to them frozen most of the time. Sometimes I nuke them 30 secs to take the chill off.

You will hear lots of conflicting opinions about this subject. My vet is horrified that I feed marrow bones. My old girl has a couple fractures but never infection so I leave them alone. But, I have never had to do a dentistry.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:32 am

an't think of a single reason to not give your dog large raw bones and cooked would probably be fine also but bones do get brittle and tend to splinter after being cooked. Thats why you should never feed smll cooked bones. The large knickles are great for the dog to chew on.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:17 pm

Ezzy-- My vet hates them because they have the potential to fracture teeth which could progress into an infection, etc. I still feed them!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:20 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:Ezzy-- My vet hates them because they have the potential to fracture teeth which could progress into an infection, etc. I still feed them!
I think that is the same mindset as we shouldn't hunt them because they might get shot. Though it is possible there are worse things than breaking a tooth and one is boredom.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:51 pm

ezzy333 wrote:an't think of a single reason to not give your dog large raw bones and cooked would probably be fine also but bones do get brittle and tend to splinter after being cooked. Thats why you should never feed smll cooked bones. The large knickles are great for the dog to chew on.

Ezzy

If you are using bones as a source of nutrition, which I recommend, stick to RAW chicken necks & backs. They are easy for a dog to chew up and digest easily. Chicken necks are best purchased in 25lb or 50lbs boxes for about 25 cents a lb if you shop around. Necks and backs are very nutritious and they also keep teeth clean better than other bones.

As for recreational bones, stick to the large knuckles (the bone ends) as stated above and always give raw but they do dry out and get brittle quickly. I generally don't like the idea of giving an aggressive chewer weight-bearing bones like the femur. Its just too easy for a dog to break a tooth. A tooth that splits is painful and will have to be removed.

Chicken necks and backs are cheaper and give you great nutrition and chewing in a safer package. You might also try dried whole beef trachea. Also very nutritious and offers and really good chew.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:05 pm

I can't find raw knuckles around here.....

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:14 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:I can't find raw knuckles around here.....
Any large bone will work. Check with a butcher shop if you can find one. Or even ask atWalmart or a local store. They can normally get them if they will.

Ezzy

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:39 am

Thanks Ezzy. Marrow bones are in all our grocery stores but not knuckles. I will call the meat dept and see if they can get them.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:49 am

ezzy333 wrote:
jlp8cornell wrote:I can't find raw knuckles around here.....
Any large bone will work. Check with a butcher shop if you can find one. Or even ask atWalmart or a local store. They can normally get them if they will.

Ezzy
You should have an Omas Pride dealer in your area. They carry a large assortment of bones that are not trimmed and cleaned like butcher store bones. The prices are usually good and the quality is great.

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:50 pm

If you have an abattoir in your area, there will be bones there and the owner will most likely gladly be willing to acomodate. Just a thought...

jbo

Post by jbo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Any problems giving them to a 16 week old pup? Should you wait till all adult teeth are in?

How about chicken leg quaters they are small and cheap?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:41 pm

I would not even consider fedding bones or chicken legs for the food value but the big bones are good for chewing exercise and something they enjoy. Problem with feeding anything as a supplement to their regular dry feed is you throw the whole diet out of balance. If you feed a quarter of chicken what happens with the total fat & protein content and ratio. Plus chicken should be cooked to eliminate salmonella and e.coli exposure.

I recommend that you feed as many large raw bones as you like and forget the other ideas.

Ezzy

Setter

Post by Setter » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:51 pm

What about salmonella / ecoli when giving beef knuckle bones? Wouldn't that be a concern?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:42 am

Vets...simply, misinformed hacks.

Give dogs both raw and cooked big bones...par boil a few...to prevent boredom.
Worry about fractures later and infection can always be treated....both about October 1st.

Give the teeth a good look season every 6 months, scratch and flake off the visible tarter with an old awl and let the big bones do the remainder of the work.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:08 am

jbo wrote:Any problems giving them to a 16 week old pup? Should you wait till all adult teeth are in?

How about chicken leg quaters they are small and cheap?
Don't use chicken legs. Chicken necks and backs are cheaper and safer. Puppies are better off with necks and backs. Don't cook them but thoroughly defrost. 50lb boxes of good quality necks are 25 - 50 cents a lb.

Large weight bearing bones like beef femur are a waste of money and time and even raw will crack a pre-molar if your dog really gets down on them. Cooked ones are even worse.

Chickens necks are far better teeth cleaners and are valuable nutritionally and safe to feed.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:12 am

Setter wrote:What about salmonella / ecoli when giving beef knuckle bones? Wouldn't that be a concern?

In a healthy dog, none at all.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:18 am

ezzy333 wrote:I would not even consider fedding bones or chicken legs for the food value but the big bones are good for chewing exercise and something they enjoy. Problem with feeding anything as a supplement to their regular dry feed is you throw the whole diet out of balance. If you feed a quarter of chicken what happens with the total fat & protein content and ratio. Plus chicken should be cooked to eliminate salmonella and e.coli exposure.

I recommend that you feed as many large raw bones as you like and forget the other ideas.

Ezzy

The only risk from bacteria is for the owner, not the dog. I have fed raw green beef tripe, chicken necks, beef hearts, goat tripe, liver, kidneys to dogs from weaning to the grave and have never seen any effects from bacteria. The above advice, while well intended, is not correct if you have an otherwise healthy dog. You will not throw the diet out of balance if you add fresh food to a commercial diet, that is just the industry protecting its franchise.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:49 am

mcbosco wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:I would not even consider fedding bones or chicken legs for the food value but the big bones are good for chewing exercise and something they enjoy. Problem with feeding anything as a supplement to their regular dry feed is you throw the whole diet out of balance. If you feed a quarter of chicken what happens with the total fat & protein content and ratio. Plus chicken should be cooked to eliminate salmonella and e.coli exposure.

Ezzy

The only risk from bacteria is for the owner, not the dog. I have fed raw green beef tripe, chicken necks, beef hearts, goat tripe, liver, kidneys to dogs from weaning to the grave and have never seen any effects from bacteria. The above advice, while well intended, is not correct if you have an otherwise healthy dog. You will not throw the diet out of balance if you add fresh food to a commercial diet, that is just the industry protecting its franchise.

Get real!!!!!!! This isn't a forum to just push your agenda but people are asking serious questions and expecting serious answers. If a balanced diet has been formulated anything in addition to it throws it out of balance. Has nothing to do with what you are adding. If you are adding protein then the protein is higher and the other elements are lower and the same with carbs or minerals. Whatever you add goes up and everything else goes down. As an example if you were feeding 1lb of a 30 lb protein feed and you add a 1/4 lb of fat or carbs your total diet drops to a 25% protein feed. Plus the minerals and Vitamins take just as big a hit.

And salmonella can be a concern with animals and its why they even have recalls occasionally if it gets in the pet food. It isn't as big of a problem with dogs as humans but it can be dangerous. That said you will seldom have salmonella problems with large bones as it normally is present within ground meat or organs that have been in contact with the excrement of the animal. Chicken is bad because it isn't skinned and can be contaminated if it hasn't been wash completely and thoroughly/

We used to test for salmonella years ago before it even became a well known problem.

Ezzy

kumate

Post by kumate » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:47 pm

Ezzy

I dont understand the convuluted logic in your recomendation. It is in direct contrast with your last post that adding fresh items should not be done because of the risk of throwing the feed out of balance.. Feeding alot of raw bones would also contain alot of marrow which is very rich and by your own standard would throw the feed out of balance. Getting sick from eating raw while possible is in contrast with the thousands of peoples experience who do on a regular basis without this problem. Kind of like your analogyt about not feeding bones at risk of broken teeth and not hunting a dog at the risk of being shot. Most folks that can see that there is a minimal risk and make a informed decision to hunt there dog and take that risk or feed that bone and take that risk, can surely apply that same mentality about whether to feed a raw item without the fear mongering

Jerry

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:03 pm

kumate wrote:I recommend that you feed as many large raw bones as you like and forget the other ideas.

Ezzy

I dont understand the convuluted logic in your recomendation. It is in direct contrast with your last post that adding fresh items should not be done because of the risk of throwing the feed out of balance.. Feeding alot of raw bones would also contain alot of marrow which is very rich and by your own standard would throw the feed out of balance. Getting sick from eating raw while possible is in contrast with the thousands of peoples experience who do on a regular basis without this problem. Kind of like your analogyt about not feeding bones at risk of broken teeth and not hunting a dog at the risk of being shot. Most folks that can see that there is a minimal risk and make a informed decision to hunt there dog and take that risk or feed that bone and take that risk, can surely apply that same mentality about whether to feed a raw item without the fear mongering

Jerry
Read my above post. Note it says large bones. also note I said for chewing and not for nutrition. Also note I said feed them raw. Large bone will normally last a week or two as the dogs can't really eat much of them but rather lay and chew. If you break or grind those bones where they can eat and esily digest them it would be wrong and small bones can't be chewed easily and eaten as well. Hence, feed large bones as a chew toy and you won't upset the balance of the total ration. It works.
Hope this helps you understand.
Ezzy

jiml

Post by jiml » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:24 pm

Get real!!!!!!! This isn't a forum to just push your agenda but people are asking serious questions and expecting serious answers. I>>>>

so anyone that doesent have your view of the world has an agenda? whats your agenda? thats right its eat processed foods with lots of preservatives because if the company put it there it must be like tony the tiger says "GREAT".

As a medical professional I do not get your line of thinking at all. there are legit concerns when feeding raw but there is also legit concerns feeding cheap dog food. You fail to see both sides ezz. Go on to the retriever forum (i know there are a few vets there, working dog forum, pet dog forums - I think you will find that you are an army of 1

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:13 pm

jiml wrote:Get real!!!!!!! This isn't a forum to just push your agenda but people are asking serious questions and expecting serious answers. I>>>>

so anyone that doesent have your view of the world has an agenda? whats your agenda? thats right its eat processed foods with lots of preservatives because if the company put it there it must be like tony the tiger says "GREAT".

As a medical professional I do not get your line of thinking at all. there are legit concerns when feeding raw but there is also legit concerns feeding cheap dog food. You fail to see both sides ezz. Go on to the retriever forum (i know there are a few vets there, working dog forum, pet dog forums - I think you will find that you are an army of 1
You are trying hard to create an argument but I am not biting. I suggested the large bones be fed raw and not cooked. I also find nothing wrong with anyone that wants to go to the expense and mess of feeding their dogs raw food. I do draw the line though when those people try to convince us their dogs are fed better than the other 99 % of the dogs in the world that compete in physical trials of many kinds and perform at an optimum level on dry food.

Many of us old timers have done the raw thing, the home cooked thing, and the table scrap thing, hog and cattle feed thing, since that is all there was before dog food. I have no idea how many tons of Pig Feed I sold for our customers dogs before we even had a dog food and I know of dogs still on those diets. I have friends that kill a calf, deer, goats or pigs to feed there dogs because they dont want to buy dog food and that works for them. Just don't tell me my dogs are suffering because they don't get green tripe, kelp, organ meat, or any other good food ingredient when used properly, because I am feeding a nutritionally balanced diet that has been researched, tested, and proven to be as good of a feed as you can feed your dog.

Ezzy

And while we are here having this discussion, tell me as a medical professional that you agree with the above quote. Bacteria won't ever hurt a healthy dog and it was even qualified by the word if which we don't know since we haven't seen the dog. And then the part that just doesn't compute that adding different ingredients will not throw the original feed out of balance. How does that work? That why I posted "get real". and I probably shouldn't have but I still think we have some obligation to supply facts and let the people make up their own minds. But we have to supply facts and not opinions.

If that is an agenda guess I am guilty.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:35 pm

Ezzy,

You know that a dog's stomach acid is twice a human's and the digestive cycle is much faster than ours. You also know that the hub of the immune system in a dog is the gut. Dog's were made to ingest food laced with bacteria. How many of your dogs have eaten a bunny, a rat, a ground hog, cat feces, a dead bat, manure, etc. Dogs eat rotten junk off the ground all the time.

Every dog in this forum has had dozens, hundreds, thousands of bloody birds, either wild or pen raised from god knows where in there mouths.

A healthy normal dog getting a dose of salmonella or ecoli is nothing its can't handle . In fact, it is probably a good thing.

The bacteria argument just doesn't hold water and you know it.

A very weak older dog or one with a compromised immune system is another story, as I said.

By the way the salmonella recalls you mentioned are done with the owner in mind not the dog.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:14 pm

mcbosco wrote:Ezzy,

By the way the salmonella recalls you mentioned are done with the owner in mind not the dog.

This is good to know. Maybe you could IM FDA and tell them because that is not what they say when checkig for it. I am not arguing the fact that dogs usually don't have a problem and there digestive tract is different than ours but that isn't the point of this discussion. And for that matter what is the point you want to discuss since I think we all have agreed that large bones can be fed raw and are preferably fed raw by all of us. I am having trouble with why am I being singled out when I said the same thing you always prescribe.

Ezzy

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:30 am

folks looking for sound, logical advice about dog food would do well to read Ezzy's posts and take them to heart.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:40 am

ezzy333 wrote:
mcbosco wrote:Ezzy,

This is good to know. Maybe you could IM FDA and tell them because that is not what they say when checkig for it. I am not arguing the fact that dogs usually don't have a problem and there digestive tract is different than ours but that isn't the point of this discussion. And for that matter what is the point you want to discuss since I think we all have agreed that large bones can be fed raw and are preferably fed raw by all of us. I am having trouble with why am I being singled out when I said the same thing you always prescribe.

Ezzy
I never said feed large bones, I suggested the knuckle portion as an alternative to the center of the bone. I suggested chicken necks and backs. The risk of an expensive broken pre-molar is too high for my taste. Chicken necks are safer, cheaper and actually do some good. Turkey necks for the bigger dogs as well.

sstam

Post by sstam » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:27 pm

hi,

for what it's worth and in response to the original post - i give my dog (a 50lb english setter) marrow bones, pork shoulder joints, chicken backs /thighs, cow vertebra and antler as treats /teeth cleaners /sources of trace minerals - whatever. maybe you should try several different types of bones / chewing treats and see what kind of chewer your dog is? if he/she is content to sit there and slowly scrape at a marrow bone or a large femur bone, you're probably safe from a cracked molar. if it's an aggressive chewer you'd probably want to stick to the softer/smaller chicken necks and backs. i'm not really concerned about throwing off my dog's nutrition ratio with bones - but i have read that they can cause constipation if fed in quantity.

kindly,
sarah

sstam

Post by sstam » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:28 pm

ps - should clarify that all of the bones i give are raw. sorry to omit that from the prev. post.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:44 pm

sstam wrote:hi,

for what it's worth and in response to the original post - i give my dog (a 50lb english setter) marrow bones, pork shoulder joints, chicken backs /thighs, cow vertebra and antler as treats /teeth cleaners /sources of trace minerals - whatever. maybe you should try several different types of bones / chewing treats and see what kind of chewer your dog is? if he/she is content to sit there and slowly scrape at a marrow bone or a large femur bone, you're probably safe from a cracked molar. if it's an aggressive chewer you'd probably want to stick to the softer/smaller chicken necks and backs. i'm not really concerned about throwing off my dog's nutrition ratio with bones - but i have read that they can cause constipation if fed in quantity.

kindly,
sarah
Even if your dog is a relaxed chewer, even raw weight-bearing become hard and brittle as they dry, which is fast.

sstam

Post by sstam » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:12 pm

mcbosco wrote:
Even if your dog is a relaxed chewer, even raw weight-bearing become hard and brittle as they dry, which is fast.

Thanks, I'll pay more attention to that. I have noticed that some of the thinner marrow bones become brittle after a couple of hours, but the thicker ones seem okay for a day.

What about antlers? They don't seem brittle, just dense and chalky?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:35 pm

I have only see antlers in the store. I really don't know much about them. They look cool though.

I really like the Nylabone Galileo for that kind of chewing. It is specially designed to avoid tooth damage. For $12 you get something they can safely chew hard for a couple years. or more.

My dog is a very heavy chewer so I stay away from of the hard natural bones.

He really likes chicken necks so I have lots of those, skin on.

jiml

Post by jiml » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:06 am

My dog is actually afraid of raw bones. LOL

raw milk also