My EP swallowed a WHOLE cottontail rabbit

TM964x4

My EP swallowed a WHOLE cottontail rabbit

Post by TM964x4 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:24 pm

So while I was at work today i get a frantic call from my girlfriend saying my 3yr old EP has swallowed a WHOLE cottontail rabbit. I guess he caught the rabbit and was playing keep a way with her until he could get the chance to swallow it. I guess he didnt even chew it. He put it down like a python. Now my concern is should i be worried about a possible parasitic infestation? WIll he even be able to pass the rabbit? According to the phone call to the vet he should be O.K. This happened around 11 a.m today and so far he is acting normal. Running, playing and showing no signs of discomfort. Crazy dogs...

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: My EP swallowed a WHOLE cottontail rabbit

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:11 pm

TM964x4 wrote:So while I was at work today i get a frantic call from my girlfriend saying my 3yr old EP has swallowed a WHOLE cottontail rabbit. I guess he caught the rabbit and was playing keep a way with her until he could get the chance to swallow it. I guess he didnt even chew it. He put it down like a python. Now my concern is should i be worried about a possible parasitic infestation? WIll he even be able to pass the rabbit? According to the phone call to the vet he should be O.K. This happened around 11 a.m today and so far he is acting normal. Running, playing and showing no signs of discomfort. Crazy dogs...
You are probably concerned about the bones too, but don't be raw bones digest easily and rabbit bones are quite easy to digest.

That a great meal for a dog.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:42 pm

My lab used to gulp cottontails whenever he could manage to catch them....they were
like scooby snacks to him. He never suffered any real ill effect, except that he may have
gotten tapeworm once from eating rabbits.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

TM964x4

Post by TM964x4 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:46 pm

Thank you guys for the help. Just was a little concerned since this hasnt happened before. Hes eating his dinner so everything must be ok.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:44 am

Im sure he is happy. You might wanna try a meat rabbit once in a while.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:16 pm

I would only worry if you had a cocker spaniel and he swallowed a jackrabbit!
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

rapid fire

Post by rapid fire » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:09 pm

My 9 week old English Setter swallowed a 3 day old quail chick yesterday. I'm in the same boat as you. I hope they are both ok.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:42 pm

3 Day old quail chick wouldn't even be a good bite for your dog but I am having real problems with this whole rabbit. If you have ever dressed one they are over a foot long stretched out like it would have to be and then I don't see how it could pass through the esophagus to get to the stomach. I just have problems seeing any dog do that . A snake has to unhinge his jaw to get it done and our dogs just aren't built that way. I'll bet it got torn up into pieces before he ate it. Would make a nice three to four pound meal which should last him for a few days.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gspguy

Post by gspguy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Cottontails are notorious for being tapeworm carriers. Keep an eye on your dogs stools for segments.
They're all broke 'til they break.

Deets

Post by Deets » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:21 pm

My EP swallowed and passed a whole tube sock at about 4 months old.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:18 pm

my mother in law ate everything in my fridge once... I just sat and watched her digest with indifference... :| she was fine... and she left after a couple hour nap... I'd be worried about the dog and tape worms tho'... :lol:

it's late... can you tell my wife's alseep?..
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

redman25

Post by redman25 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:32 am

I can absolutely see this happening. Rabbits aren't born full grown, and they are VERY brittle/delicate. Just a nugget!