What age to wean pups?

Elizabeth

What age to wean pups?

Post by Elizabeth » Wed May 26, 2010 10:13 am

We have four very healthy English Setter pups which are now 6 1/2wks of age. I have been feeding them Science diet pup food for 2 wks as a supplement to the mothers milk. The mother dog is kept away from the pups most of the time now, but I find the mother dog BEGS to get in with the pups to nurse. I feel like I should allow her two to three times a day to visit with pups. Mother dog doesn't mind it one bit. Three pups weigh 9 pounds and the runt weighs 7 pounds. Should I let mother dog wean them when shes ready or keep them seperated like I've been doing. I keep puppy food out at all times for the pups and we are keeping them until they are 8 wks. Thanks in advance for your help! Elizabeth
Elizabeth

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: What age to wean pups?

Post by mcbosco » Wed May 26, 2010 10:33 am

Let mom be with them wheneever she wants. She wants them to nurse because she needs relief.

Let mom decided when to wean, no downside at all in this approach.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:44 am

mcbosco wrote:Let mom be with them wheneever she wants. She wants them to nurse because she needs relief.

Let mom decided when to wean, no downside at all in this approach.
I agree this normally will work but there can be a down side, especially with larger litters if they are fighting over a nipple. I would rather wean them just like you are doing by letting mom in for a couple of feedings a day if she needs relief. But with a small litter like you have she may need milking out by hand. Be sure to check the udder and nipple area and if they are hard strip them out by hand for a couple of days. Don't think you can hurt the pups no matter when but it sure can be rough on mom in many ways if you wait too long or try to wean to quick.. 5 weeks is a good time normally but you need to adjust that sometimes.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed May 26, 2010 11:22 am

All good points, but I tend to agree more with mcbosco. Assuming you are making available to the pups a good quality feed(Science would not be my choice), the mother will wean perhaps a bit earlier than say 8-9 weeks. It's usually a good idea to do what's natural. Mother knows best.
big steve

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Wed May 26, 2010 12:44 pm

big steve46 wrote:All good points, but I tend to agree more with mcbosco. Assuming you are making available to the pups a good quality feed(Science would not be my choice), the mother will wean perhaps a bit earlier than say 8-9 weeks. It's usually a good idea to do what's natural. Mother knows best.

What would be your choice of food? I have used Science Diet for about 15 years. I am willing to change if needed.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Wed May 26, 2010 6:23 pm

Enhance Small Breed Puppy is wonderful. Teeny kibble size make the transition from wet to dry relatively easy on them. Just about any premium quality puppy food that starts with a good protein source such as lamb, chicken, beef etc..but does not contain artificial chemicals, dyes, by products etc...

I personally prefer a forumla that does not utilize corn, wheat, soy or meat by products

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed May 26, 2010 6:53 pm

I usually have them weaned by 6 weeks.
brenda

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed May 26, 2010 6:53 pm

Science Diet for over $1.25lb is like stealing if you ask me, especially given the calorie count which is very low. The ingredient list on the puppy food is pretty shaky. I simply wouldn't pay that price given the low grade ingredients.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:18 pm

Elizabeth wrote:[quote
What would be your choice of food? I have used Science Diet for about 15 years. I am willing to change if needed.
Elizabeth
There are several good brands, but i prefer Loyall. They have a 31-20 puppy formula but I have not fed it. My pup was 4-5 mos old when I switched to Loyall, and I started with the Active Adult. Puppys can do well on adult formulas as long as they can chew it well. I pay about .65 a lb for AA, but don't know what the Puppy formula would cost.

A bag of Loyall lasts longer than any feed I have ever fed. Very cost effective. Science Diet is overpriced for the quality.
big steve

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed May 26, 2010 9:51 pm

I am trying the new Diamond Formula for small dogs, it is 32/22, on my current litter...I used to use Iams, but was under the impression they changed it.
brenda

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:32 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
big steve46 wrote:All good points, but I tend to agree more with mcbosco. Assuming you are making available to the pups a good quality feed(Science would not be my choice), the mother will wean perhaps a bit earlier than say 8-9 weeks. It's usually a good idea to do what's natural. Mother knows best.

Elizabeth
Science diet is a joke when it comes to athletic dogs like bird dogs. The protein/fat/calorie count is so low There's no telling how much I would have to feed just to keep wight on during hunting season. Somehow though they have managed to convince every veterinarian in the country that they are the only viable option for food.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:26 am

You've bee feeding Science Diet for 15 years? And I am going to assume your dogs have done well correct? I would say if that is all true then you've answered your own question......if you like what you see and your dogs are doing good, then why change. Not endorsing Science Diet at all, but if it works for ya then it works for ya.............

Like Brenda 6 weeks...................

JMO,
Chip

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:43 am

Keeping the mother able to be with her pups till the last pup is gone from the litter, if your selling all of them is much more than just for nursing. Mom's play a huge role in puppy social developement past the normal 6 week old weaning time, and many breeders don't understand that. Keep mom out while pups are eating their food but let her have as much access as needed the rest of the time. Your buyers will benefet greatly from it.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:11 pm

romeo212000 wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:

Elizabeth
Science diet is a joke when it comes to athletic dogs like bird dogs. The protein/fat/calorie count is so low There's no telling how much I would have to feed just to keep wight on during hunting season. Somehow though they have managed to convince every veterinarian in the country that they are the only viable option for food.

Our dogs over the years are not hunted a lot unfortunatley. My husband loves to grouse hunt, but the popultion of grouse has become very low in East Tennessee. I guess that is why Science Diet food has worked fine. All of our dogs have been extremley healthy and lived up to 17 years old. How we got started on it, is that I worked for a Veterinarian for several years and was able to buy it at cost. Now that I am not working there, I may have to reconsider. Real high protein scares me a little for a dog that isn't as active as most hunting dogs. The food issue seems to be very confusing and I thank everyone for their suggestions. It is very helpful!!!
Update on pups...They are now 9 wks, beautiful and healthy. I did let mother dog stay with them anytime she chose too and that has been wonderful. The pups have learned so much from her and she has loved it as well. They are now ready for their new homes.
Elizabeth