Carpenter Bees

rivercitykennels

Carpenter Bees

Post by rivercitykennels » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:38 pm

Starting last year I started having carpenter bees around my kennel. Well at least I think they are carpenter bees. They are a real nuisance to the dogs. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. If so how did you stop it. I have looked around to see if i could find where they are coming from but no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Carpenter Bees

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:56 pm

rivercitykennels wrote:Starting last year I started having carpenter bees around my kennel. Well at least I think they are carpenter bees. They are a real nuisance to the dogs. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. If so how did you stop it. I have looked around to see if i could find where they are coming from but no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Have no idea what kind of bee you are talking about. There are carpenter ants but never heard of the bee. I have never seen bees be much of a problem as most dogs will catch and kill them if they get too close. Sorry I can't be of more help but I just can't tell you what to do without knowing for sure what you are dealing with.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:17 pm

If they really are carpenter bees, they are harmless, except to your boards. I have an old cedar tree right off the porch that is full of them every year. My son's baby swing hangs from that tree, and we walk under it going to our vehicles everyday. Never a problem. The world in general is currently in a bee crisis, as large portions of the total bee population are being killed off every year and we really don't know much about why, how, or how to stop it. If you believe in Global Warming as a problem, imagine a world where no plant life is pollinated.

If it were me, I'd let well enough alone. If you must have them gone, Malathion sprayed liberally on the boards will do the trick, but "bleep" sure don't have the dogs or their food/water containers around when you do it. I'd vacate the kennel completely for a day or more, and then wash it very, very well before putting the dogs back out there, but the Malathion will do the trick and you should be able to get it at any local or chain garden supply store.
Last edited by daniel77 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:37 pm

They are more a nusiance then anything to animals but they do bore pretty good size holes in to the base of trees about a nickle size hole...if you see small wood piles at the base of some wood posts or tree bases you can plug those holes best to catch the carpenter bee inside the hole

http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/carpenter_bees.htm
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:59 am

They seem to be an early spring visitor for me. The ones I see are large stubby black bees that love my red cedar furniture but teak and Ipe is too hard for them. They make machine perfect holes and we have a quite a few but they dont seem to bother with people or animals.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:44 am

tennis racket
brenda

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:55 am

Spray WD-40 or similar into the hole, then cap it off with grease so that they'll never use the hole again.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:12 am

Learn something new everyday. I Googled Carpenter Bees and found some good info. Says the holes do little damage and are primarily cosmetic and the bees are a important part of early pollination and need to be protected. Also makes a point that they rarely if ever sting when our exploring or gathering pollen unless they are molested or you would disturb a nest.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:13 am

al they are amazing when its very quiet like at night you can here the scraping as the bore the wood

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:26 am

I have loads of them around my kennel. The dogs love to stare at them and sometimes will try to catch them. :roll:
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

tn red

Post by tn red » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Tea Tree Oil works ok on the holes they hate it

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:39 am

They frequent my neighbor each year, who has redwood siding on his house. This year they did buzz around my kennels for a few days, but are now largely gone. A couple would stay tight to my cedar posts at the very top, and it looked like they were sleeping or resting. Then another one or two were buzzing around the underside of my overhang, which is all covered with tin. I think they may have just given up on my kennels as a site since they couldn't find anything nice in which to bore holes.

And we've always called them "borer bees". I hadn't heard of "carpenter bees" until this post, but that seems to be a more common name considering the responses and Google results. Seems to be the same insect, though.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:59 am

We have alot of them here in AZ as well. Have an old stump in the yard the wood is getting soft in. Those bees love to drill in that. My wife claims they have a sting, but I've never seen or heard of one stinging anything.