Puppy Dandruff

caleb

Puppy Dandruff

Post by caleb » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:29 am

Hi guys, I've been following GDF for a while, and it's been a great source of info for me as a new dog trainer. My first post is a question:

My ten week old golden retriever pup has dandruff. It goes away after swimming or a bath, but it's back after a few days. His coat is dull and looks dry to me.

Background:

-I'm feeding him Eukanuba large breed puppy because that's what the breeder had him on. (I know it's an overpriced mediocre dog food, but the breeder sent a 44# bag with me.)

-He's outside about half the time, inside the remainder of the day.

-He doesn't have ready access to a swimming hole, but he's been in water a few times.

-We've bathed him twice.

With those points in mind, do you have any recommendations for dealing with the dandruff? The flakes don't bother me, I'm just worried that he's not getting enough fat in his diet, or that he's not getting something else he needs. He's due back at the vet in a week, so I can ask there as well. I'd just rather not put him on some meds if the problem can be solved with a simple dietary change.

jlp8cornell

Re: Puppy Dandruff

Post by jlp8cornell » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:09 am

I fed Orijen which has plenty of fat and every now and then my guys have a few flakes. (maybe due to whether it is dry/humid out or how dirty they get on runs). But, their coats are extremely shiny which makes me think you have one of three issues: 1) food quality 2) potential food allergies or 3) worms. Your vet may have you switch foods. In that case- just donate your free bag from the breeder to a shelter or friend. Lots of threads on this forum about food preferences.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:41 am

The fat component of even the best kibble is pretty average at best. You can go either of two ways, a fatty supplement like NuPro or foods like a few raw egg yolks a week or some other fatty meat or liquid oil. For ease & cost and nutritional value, its hard to beat raw eggs, shell too. You will see a big difference in a few weeks.

One thing a young golden is going to have a cottony, fluffy coat anyway, maybe thats why you think its dry.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:46 am

might not be "dandruff" might be suborrhea dermatitis .....my lab has had it
and a sulfa shampoo from the vet took care of it. I also give my dogs Salmon
oil gel caps that help alot with dry skin and shedding.

http://vetmanual.org/mvm/index.jsp?cfil ... /73200.htm
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:30 pm

All of the above is sound. Also, consider whether or not the dog has been stressed lately, or has been subject to very low humidity levels. Watering down/bathing a dog is only a quick fix for constant dandruff - it won't cure the problem, just treat the symptoms.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:41 pm

birddog1968 wrote:might not be "dandruff" might be suborrhea dermatitis .....my lab has had it
and a sulfa shampoo from the vet took care of it. I also give my dogs Salmon
oil gel caps that help alot with dry skin and shedding.

http://vetmanual.org/mvm/index.jsp?cfil ... /73200.htm

Seborrheic Dermatitis can cause "dandruff". Dandruff is simply shedding of skin.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:04 pm

mcbosco wrote:Seborrheic Dermatitis can cause "dandruff". Dandruff is simply shedding of skin.
True. But if you want to stop dandruff you need to cure the cause, not just treat the symptoms.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:15 pm

I know, some extra fat probably will help but dandruff in puppies is not uncommon like babies. SD has a bunch of other symptoms that the poster didn't mention. I have never seen it on dogs but many times on horses.

caleb

Post by caleb » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:44 pm

Thanks for all the feedback.

It sounds like the most basic possible problem is a shortage of fats, and a simple fix is to add a supplement to his diet. Is there anything to be hurt by feeding the pup an egg every other day for the next week to see if his condition improves? I have some organic, free range eggs in the fridge, so he wouldn't be getting any bad stuff.

If it doesn't improve over the next week, then I'll just ask the vet about the dandruff at the pup's check-up next Monday. Is that a reasonable course of action?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:54 pm

Think i would use a couple teaspoons of olive oil over an egg personally.

I have since stopped using the oil and started using the salmon oil caps instead, with
great results. I only have one out of 3 with dry skin but all three seem to benefit from
the gel caps.

upon taking my lab to the vet with the "dandruff" , the vet without second thought
gave us a bottle of sulfa shampoo and mentioned SD. I dont think you see all the
other symptoms of SD until later if thats what it is. The sulfa shampoo cleared my
dog right up.
Last edited by birddog1968 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

caleb

Post by caleb » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:55 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Think i would use a couple teaspoons of olive oil over an egg personally.
Any particular reason?

I have a big jug of olive oil on the counter, so it's a very doable option.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:05 pm

Well first I am no authority....

But I run my dogs alot all year. I have heard that raw eggs can dehydrate a dog (uncooked biotin)???
Then there is the salmonella possibility from raw eggs. The olive oil seems to have no real downside
when used lightly, plus mine really down their food with Olive oil on it.....

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:13 pm

It won't get better in a week, a few weeks is a better bet and it might be because the pup is getting older and his oil glands are functioning better.

Any source of Omega 3's will help.

Salmonella risk in a dog? Not an issue and typically any salmonella is on the shell not inside. The biotin issue is all hype. The yolk has more biotin than is bound by aviden in the white.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:15 pm

well that may be....I can't argue MC, but in the end the olive oil works fine as do the gel caps.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:33 pm

caleb wrote:Thanks for all the feedback.

It sounds like the most basic possible problem is a shortage of fats, and a simple fix is to add a supplement to his diet. Is there anything to be hurt by feeding the pup an egg every other day for the next week to see if his condition improves? I have some organic, free range eggs in the fridge, so he wouldn't be getting any bad stuff.

If it doesn't improve over the next week, then I'll just ask the vet about the dandruff at the pup's check-up next Monday. Is that a reasonable course of action?
Don't think he will care if it's organic or not. the yolks are an excellent source of fat and protein. However, the white of the egg actually is somewhat harmful for the coat condition. If you want to feed them the yolks are much better than feeding the whole egg. But you can do abou the same thing by using a little vegetable oil on the feed or a pat of lard, or most any form of fat. Just don't expect any big noticeable change immediately. Would be my guess you are looking at the fuzzy puppy coat tht is dying and being replaced with a courser shiny adult coat.

Try it if you want. Sure won't hurt any thing.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:40 pm

birddog1968 wrote:well that may be....I can't argue MC, but in the end the olive oil works fine as do the gel caps.

They do love the peppery taste of olive oil don't they.

caleb

Post by caleb » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:01 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
caleb wrote: Try it if you want. Sure won't hurt any thing.
Ezzy
Sounds good. I'll drizzle a little on his food tonight and see how he likes it.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:46 pm

Caleb,
I would use a puppy slicker brush to stimulate the oil glands in the skin. Removes the dead puppy undercoat and helps the skin breath and you will see the top hair start to shine. As he blows out puppy coat and replaced with a harder shinier top coat. When pups blow out the puppy coat for adult it starts down the middle of the body and works it way down the sides and legs. So you will see a darker shinier stripe as this happens to his coat.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:45 pm

MikeB wrote:Caleb,
I would use a puppy slicker brush to stimulate the oil glands in the skin. Removes the dead puppy undercoat and helps the skin breath and you will see the top hair start to shine. As he blows out puppy coat and replaced with a harder shinier top coat. When pups blow out the puppy coat for adult it starts down the middle of the body and works it way down the sides and legs. So you will see a darker shinier stripe as this happens to his coat.

Good suggestion Mike. Brushing everyday will mke a big difference by pulling the dead coat and stimulating the oil production both. Wonder why some of us just pass right over the common things that will really help.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:54 am

good point..lol..the Slicka Rake for about $7 is good for a puppy..I have one somewhere its a plastic slicker brush with a rubber sheath on the bristles

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:23 am

Anyone use the Furminator? At about $40 it's an expensive deshedding tool, but it really works wonders!
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:29 am

I had one when I had a Labrador. It is a great piece of equipment for a double coated dog. The amount of undercoat that comes up is startling.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:06 pm

They never had the Furminator when I owned and bred Golden's. Just a good slicker and pin brush and comb (to clean the slicker) was all that I used. I only bathed them every few months since I lived in the suburbs and they only swam in the pool during the summer.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:57 pm

Our dogs seldom if ever get bathed and that may be part of the reason we haven't experienced any real problems with dry hair coat or skin.

Ezzy

caleb

Post by caleb » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:47 am

Thanks for all the advice. Since I posted this the pup's dandruff has basically gone away.

I asked the vet about it on Monday and she basically said not to worry about it unless it's persistent. Puppies have lots of stuff going on with their coats, so a little occasional dandruff isn't a big deal.