Hair Loss

Highland Gundogs

Hair Loss

Post by Highland Gundogs » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:04 am

I have 5 GSPs and recently 2 of them have begun losing hair on their head/ears/muzzle, no where else. The areas are not red or irritated looking, but one dog does seem to be itching her face at times. Hair loss on the ears/forehead is evenly distributed, but there is symetry to the areas lost on the brow,muzzle.
Both dogs have been wormed recently,and show no symptoms of being sick, tons of energy,eat enthusiastically.
All of my dogs eat the same feed, which I switched to Nov of 2009. However, 2 months ago I switched them to a lower fat/higher protein formula of the same feed.
I ve never had a problem with mange, the dogs are 6 and 3.
Some have suggested a corn allergy as the feed lists corn as a major souce of its protein.

Any thoughts?...........Im going to the vet this week.

madonna

Re: Hair Loss

Post by madonna » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:14 am

Go to the Vet! Maybe- Demodikose! Hair loss is always a severe sign- go to the VET! My best wishes for your dogs health! Madonna
The woman, who plays with the pups

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:47 am

Demodectic mange like Madonna said in German is usually seen in puppies during transitional periods. When its seen in adults its a cause for concern in my opinion. Get a scraping done. Could be allergies as they seem to develop overtime.

Stick up some pictures.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:12 am

Have them checked for mange. But to see your mind at ease the chances of any dog being allergic to corn is extremely rare and it wouldn't produce a patterned hair loss. The very few dogs that are allergic to a feed stuff are almost always allergic to the protein source and not the grain which is largely carbs, The corn thing is one of those old wife tales and seems it never dies.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:14 am

Two dogs with same issue at the same time is certainly curious. Can you think of something environmental? New bedding? New cleaners of any kind? New plastic water or feed bowls? New collars?

moneypit

Post by moneypit » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:40 am

are the dogs that itch related? just thinking if they are it could be allergys, my dog is extremely allergic to anything having chicken in it.

Ultimate Pride

Post by Ultimate Pride » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:04 pm

Highland Gundogs, Do you have any updates on your dogs condition?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:41 pm

We chatted offline and it was not mange, rather it was a "dietary issue". That's all I know.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:04 pm

mcbosco wrote:We chatted offline and it was not mange, rather it was a "dietary issue". That's all I know.
I'll bet it isn't dietary if they do the test. Much more apt to be environmental for any dog but when two have the same problem at the same time it has almost got to be environmental. Both couldn't become allergic to their feed at the same time.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:10 am

Ezzy, Don't shoot the messenger that's what the man told me..LOL. It sure looked like mange or some kind of yeast or fungal infection. The two dogs having the same problem was odd, pretty much ruled out demodectic mange.