pocket of fluid on dogs chest

luke0927

pocket of fluid on dogs chest

Post by luke0927 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:50 am

I went to feed/check the dogs yesterday and noticed on my youngest dog on his chest looked like a swollen knot but when i felt it it was just a pocket of fluid seemed to be between the skin and the chest. The dog has been in the kennel so i don't think he could have been bitten by anything, also everything else seems to be fine...energy, look etc....any idea what it is?

dwilson

Re: pocket of fluid on dogs chest

Post by dwilson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:59 am

Is the dog overweight? Can it get up off the concrete to sleep?

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:07 am

This is just a wild guess but could be a spider or bug bite.I had a female last summer that had the similar knot under her head where her kneck & head join.I gave her some Benedryl & the next day was totally gone & back to normal.I would keep an eye on the dog & aslong as she or he is acting normal & it doesn't get any bigger give some Benedryl & see if it shrinks or goes away.If gets worse or dog acts funny a trip to the vet is in order.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:23 am

dog is in good condition....my kennels are on raised wood deck and dogs sleep in barrels.....

I though about a spider but I just didn't think one could bite through their skin.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:33 am

I had a female that came up with an infection between her shoulder blades about 8 yrs ago,she had a fever was sore to the touch & just plain sick.Of course this happened when my vet was closed,I took her to an emergency vet the only one I could find open.They kept her over nite,put her on antibiotics,gave her some fliuds,& put in a couple drains sent her home & told me to follow up with my vet.He wanted to know if they found any foreign objects because it wasn't in the report.His guess was a spider bite,said he had been seeing quite a few.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:45 am

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:47 am

Thanks I have a friend who is a retired vet going to take him over and let him look at him today and see what he says I should do.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:10 pm

We drained it, it was just serum...no puss or infection...the dog ran into a fence a week or so ago but didn't get cut up just had a scratch just a little higher up...he said it could have been from that and then the fluid just drained down to the lowest point....So all looks good.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:15 pm

Sound like good news as it wasn't too serious!

Nitrex