IVOMECTIN

Birddog3412

IVOMECTIN

Post by Birddog3412 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:13 pm

I know it has alway been a big debate weather or not Ivomec kills external parasites ie ticks, fleas, lice

I saw on the NBC world news yesterday that Drs are prescribing ivomectin 3mg to children with headlice.

I just thought that was very interesting!!

vzkennels

Re: IVOMECTIN

Post by vzkennels » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:17 pm

Ivomec will kill fleas & ticks for a few days after given but wears off after that.Maybe something that most people are not aware of.Ivomec or heartgard or the meds that use Ivomec as the main ingredient when given are for the previous month not the current month or month ahead. :)

dwilson

Post by dwilson » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:27 pm

Vets perscribe it for mange treatments already which is nothing but blood eating bugs. We had a case of it in a bulldog pup maybe 10 years ago and the vet said it will absolutely kill external parasites but needed to be given daily and long term it was just too much to reach a theraputic dose to take care of fleas/ticks. This was a rural vet that would shoot straight on alternate treatments rather than insist on you spending money that wasn't needed.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:33 pm

Fipronil, in Frontline, is also used on lice in humans.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:07 pm

I've used Ivermectin daily doses many times over the years to treat demodex in rescue dogs. I've also used a Preventic collar to treat demodex if the dog was heartworm positive. The collar has amitraz.

Last flea season I only had to use topical flea treatment once on my dogs. I just didn't have a flea problem! I think it is because I was using Ivermectin for HW treatment.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH