Opinions wanted on Top Quality dry dog food

hpvizslas

Opinions wanted on Top Quality dry dog food

Post by hpvizslas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:54 am

This may have been discussed in the past but I have not searched through the archives to see. What is the general consensus of the best premium dry dog food to feed? I am currently feeding Purina Pro Plan Premium Performance and feel that it is a high quality feed that meets most of the needs for the dogs; however, at a little over $1/lb it is on the higher cost side. Also, the closest place for me to find it is over 80 miles away. Currently I feed about two cups a day to each of the dogs to keep them at a healthy weight and performance, so that is something else to consider. If I have to feed more of a cheaper feed, it is not worth considering.

Here is what I am looking for in a premium dog food:
· A nutrient-dense diet that allows enough energy in a small quantity of food
· Animal-based protein source
· A high-fat, high-energy food
· A fiber source that promotes intestinal health
· Excellent taste
· Convenient to purchase and easy to prepare
· Stable and safe on the road while traveling from trial to trial

I know that this is a very opinionated topic but that is what I am looking for. I have no desire to feed a raw diet; I am just looking for opinions on the best high quality dry dog food. If Purina is what I should stick with then I will but if something is better, I would be willing to give it a shot.

Thanks
Jeff

3Britts

Re: Opinions wanted on Top Quality dry dog food

Post by 3Britts » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:01 am

You are right, this topic is very opinionated.

I trial, show and (mainly) hunt my dogs. I feed Kirtland brand from Costco and have been very happy with this food.
I used to use Pro Plan and do not feel that my dogs did as well on it as on my current feed. I do switch between Lamb/rice
and chicken/rice depending on time of year. The chicken and rice have a bit higher protein content for the colder temps and
for any puppies that I might have on the ground.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:18 am

After listening to friends that were feeding their kennel Loyall and then another friend brought us some to try I was pleased with how the dogs all like it and then even happier with the results I have been noticing over the last month

we are feeding the Performance to the young and trials dogs and maintenance to the others which one of the guide dogs is getting the maint as he is an easy keeper

Here is what I noticed after a month of getting OFF the Exceed and some of my HB hour stakes buddys they that are feeding loyal they say the performance or active adult is what their dogs do the best on ...many say the professional is to hot
and after this last month I do believe the dogs are getting far more out of the loyall then any of the sams club or costco stuff we have tried and I am liking the result better then the pro plan also
Coats are Much nicer even friends that have come out have noticed during our training sessions these are out side kennel dogs and coats are soft with a nice glisten to them

Kennel clean up now that they have adjusted is about half what it used to be

Dogs energy level has increased and stamina is very good

The pointers are finally not having to eat 6 cups of food to look good they are down to 3 and 4 cups instead of 6 plus cups and looking thin so they are starting to look much better

that is my personal experience with the Loyall dog food
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:38 am

Without regard to availability in your area,

1) Abady M&S, Classic or Basic - Dry Granular
2) Annamaet Ultra & Extra - Traditional Kibble

Neither of these will cost you more than Pro Plan to feed, perhaps per lb but not actual cost. Annamaet will be easier to get and well worth the effort. There is a local Siberian Husky racer near me that feeds adult dogs in training 2 cups of Annamaet. I know Huskies are thrifty but that is amazing. You will find glowing reviews of this food from professional dog people and the guy has a very impressive background as a researcher at Penn with the racing beagle team.

Abady is a very polarizing product but its a top quality product that costs quite a bit per lb but its easily the most dense food on the market. I know setters, gsp's & brittany's eating 1.5 cups a day and they glow.

Pro Plan Per is $45 a bag in NJ, or $1.3lb, Annamaet Ultra is $1.05 a lb, but some mushers sell it for less than $1.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:04 pm

Pick a feed that your dogs do well on and stick with it, then dont listen to a single thing you hear in here concerning dog food! :roll: :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:41 pm

you have a point, i wonder how much gets thrown away when people switch

fordman

Post by fordman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:19 pm

Enhance seems to work well for me and the 3 dogs getting it.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:52 pm

Many pet owners along with sport dog owners tend to obcess about the food their dogs eat. It really depends on what is available to you where you live along what your willing to pay in todays time. If you live where major pet supply & feed stores are located then the choices are eneless sometimes. I agree with the others try many till you find what works best and stick with it. It's pretty much that simple.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:58 pm

MikeB wrote:Many pet owners along with sport dog owners tend to obcess about the food their dogs eat. It really depends on what is available to you where you live along what your willing to pay in todays time. If you live where major pet supply & feed stores are located then the choices are eneless sometimes. I agree with the others try many till you find what works best and stick with it. It's pretty much that simple.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
This is the best advice you could get.There are some differences in formulas of the different feeds but little if any difference in results. Some where along the line we have become very obcessive to the point many of the single dog owners worry more about feeding their dog than they do their kids. Just doesn't make much sense but no one knows how to stop it.

One your dog likes, is readily available and you can afford will do the job for you and your dog. And if you have found one stick with it because this is the perfect example of the grass being greener on the other side of the fence and believe me it isn't. Do this and your dog will love you.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kumate

Post by kumate » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:00 am

Al, so you are saying there would be little diff in results if using reg basic "ole roy" or one of the premium brands like orijen,wellness core, annamet etc ?

Jerry

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:01 am

topher40 wrote:Pick a feed that your dogs do well on and stick with it, then dont listen to a single thing you hear in here concerning dog food! :roll: :wink:
+100

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:53 am

Thanks everyone for your opinions, I have gathered some great advice. The main reason that I am considering switching is due to the lack of convenience to get Purina Pro Plan in my area. I am giving serious consideration to switching to Loyall as I can obtain it much easier. The biggest concern is I don't want to have any negatives from switching.

Thanks
Jeff

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:53 am

hpvizslas wrote:Thanks everyone for your opinions, I have gathered some great advice. The main reason that I am considering switching is due to the lack of convenience to get Purina Pro Plan in my area. I am giving serious consideration to switching to Loyall as I can obtain it much easier. The biggest concern is I don't want to have any negatives from switching.

Thanks
Jeff
Just make sure to transition slowly, I like to take about two weeks.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:09 pm

3Britts wrote:Just make sure to transition slowly, I like to take about two weeks.
Another opinion - I've never had a problem with increasing the blendings of the old & new foods each day & switching over four days at the most.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:11 pm

I wouldnt worry about it too much, a dog's digestive tract is far from delicate...

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:20 pm

BigShooter wrote:
3Britts wrote:Just make sure to transition slowly, I like to take about two weeks.
Another opinion - I've never had a problem with increasing the blendings of the old & new foods each day & switching over four days at the most.
Same with me. I have never had a problem with swithching.
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way