first heat questions

anb

first heat questions

Post by anb » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:11 am

My girl just went into her first heat yesterday (or I noticed it yesterday). This is the first time I have had an intact female. Just wondering if there is any nutritional changes she might need during this time - extra protien/fat/fiber/vitamin/etc.? Also wondering if I should just lay of on any training/hunting for now, or just see how she does? Maybe that would be better off in the training section...

Thanks for the input
Andrea

postoakshorthairs

Re: first heat questions

Post by postoakshorthairs » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:28 am

Just keep the boys away! :mrgreen: I don't do anything differently with food or exersize.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:30 am

I never did anything different when I had females and never had any problems, but I am speaking from experience and not knowledge. Others may have more info. As far as training, you may find that she acts totally different while she is in season.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

windswept

Post by windswept » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:37 am

I'll agree with Charlie. No need to do anything different feed wise. My experience has been that they do seem to be off their game a bit when in season. Mine tend to make mistakes that are uncharacteristic. They may bump birds more often or move backward a little in their training. Otherwise just keep an eye on her, don't let her run loose in the yard (even with a fence) when you're not around etc..

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:50 pm

I agree with everyone else, I do not do anything different either, except maybe rearange what dogs are in what runs.