Strange twitch Please help

TM964x4

Strange twitch Please help

Post by TM964x4 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:33 am

Well my three yr old EP has been a very healthy dog. Recently i switched his food from canidae to diamond extreme athlete to see if he would put on a little more weight since he is a very active dog. His coat is nicer and seemed to be doing well. Around the same time he also received his rabies shoot. About a week later he was sleeping and began to get this weird muscle pulse. Kind of like he would flex his muscle then relax and this went on for about 30 min. That was about three weeks ago. Since then he has been acting great, been hunting running around etc. Well last night the same twitch happened again for about the same amount of time. Could it a be a food allergy? Or maybe and overload in high protein? Please help thank you

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Strange twitch Please help

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:47 am

My dogs do that every time they are dreaming. Occasionally they run or bark on top of it. Sure wish I knew what they are dreaming.

It probably has nothing to do with dog food or anything else but a pleasant dream. My wife asks me the same question some mornings when I have been kicking her and I know she hasn't changed my dog food. :roll: :lol:

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

TM964x4

Post by TM964x4 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:55 am

Thank you for the reply. He does like to dream alot but the " twitch " continues after he is awake. I took him out to walk around and he would twitch untik about 30 mins it subsided.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:21 am

so that sounds like a muscle spasm. Probably not anything serious but if it continues ask your vet about it the next time you need to see him. It could be a bruise or some sort of trauma started it and it will quit as it heals.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:41 am

It could be the different feed, but I doubt it. To be sure, you could go back to a regular good food and add a bit of oil every day for the coat and calories. After a couple of weeks, you might be able to decide. I would never feed the Extreme unless the dog got a whole lot of regular work. Maybe the dog doesn't need to be heavier. Lots of things to consider with no ironfast rules.
big steve

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:44 am

big steve46 wrote:It could be the different feed, but I doubt it. To be sure, you could go back to a regular good food and add a bit of oil every day for the coat and calories. After a couple of weeks, you might be able to decide. I would never feed the Extreme unless the dog got a whole lot of regular work. Maybe the dog doesn't need to be heavier. Lots of things to consider with no ironfast rules.
Explain what feed would have to do with a muscle twitch? I don't understand that.

Ezzy

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:55 am

ezzy333 wrote:
big steve46 wrote:It could be the different feed, but I doubt it. To be sure, you could go back to a regular good food and add a bit of oil every day for the coat and calories. After a couple of weeks, you might be able to decide. I would never feed the Extreme unless the dog got a whole lot of regular work. Maybe the dog doesn't need to be heavier. Lots of things to consider with no ironfast rules.
Explain what feed would have to do with a muscle twitch? I don't understand that.

Ezzy
I didn't say it did. I remember hearing about an old Dr writing a book about 70 years ago called " Anything Can Cause Anything." You can't be paranoid about everything, but an open mind is ok even if something cannot easily be explained.

If nothing else, trying what I suggested may ease the owner's mind, and will cause no harm.
big steve

TM964x4

Post by TM964x4 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:08 pm

He does run quite regularly i have 2 1/2 acres that he runs most of the day. And at the time he was hunting about 3 to 4 times a week. thank you for all the replies

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:31 pm

My first inclination was to say it was just dream sleep, but you as the owner, are more aware than us--what is normal and not normal for your dog. I would NOT jump to this conclusion (and am not a vet), but in throwing out ideas, I would mention that seizures can onset during sleep and manifest with twitching and jerking.
Simple focal seizures (also sometimes called minor motor or focal motor seizures) originate in the area of the brain that controls movement. A localized storm in this area results in movement of the area of the body controlled by that part of the brain. Most commonly, the face is affected resulting in twitching or blinking. This is usually limited to one side of the face. If the seizure spreads a bit, other parts of the body on that side will be affected. For example, the front limb may then begin to twitch and buckle. During a simple focal seizure, the pet is usually alert and aware. They may attempt to seek out their owner, confused about what is happening. The seizure may stop there or it may generalize. If it generalizes, the pet loses consciousness and has a classic grand-mal seizure.
http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/basics/basics_main.html

TM964x4

Post by TM964x4 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Once again thank you all for the replies. I spoke to a vet and he said it could quite possibly be from a lack of electrolytes in his system after hunting and physical activity.Just seems odd to happen 2 days after the hunts. Hopefully this is the problem and not anything more serious. He has never shown any sign of illness and is still eating and very active. Hopefully just a case of muscle spasm from over working. I do not think it is epilepsy from what ive read.