Help With Dog Food!

covrec1

Help With Dog Food!

Post by covrec1 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:21 am

I was feeding my 2 Springers Nutri Source Black Bag and stools were find I just couldn't pay that much for dog food. Someone told me to try Diamond Premium and that was a disaster, loose stools bad gas etc. Is there a good dog food for high energy dogs that won't cause loose stools and is en-expensive?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Help With Dog Food!

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:59 am

Sportsmix will give you stools like you want. Diamond isn't bad if you don't over feed it. Overfeeding is the cause in most cases of a softer stool. Too high of protiein also leads to the problem. I have used Diamond Premium for several years without a major problem but when I did I knew I had to cut back on the feed a little. I do think you can get more gas from some dogs but again with the right amount of feed it was very minor.

I would suggest you try some of the cheaper feeds that have a little less protein and it should do the trick. I don't think they are better for the dog necessarily but if a little softer stool is the main concern that is the way I would go. Either that or just cut back a litte on what you are feeding.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

bphelps56

Post by bphelps56 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:22 pm

Arkat brand Hunter's Edge is a good choice if it is available in your area. It is a chicken meal based food with 24% protein and 18% fat. It usually sells for a little less than $20.00 for a 50 lb.bag.
Bill Phelps
Hidden Creek Kennels
Llewellin Setters
Somerset, KY
hiddencreekkennels@hotmail.com
http://www.hiddencreekkennel.com

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:40 pm

http://www.extremedogfuel.com/products.php

I have a friend in NO that buys pallets of this food with a group and they wack it up. He swears by it.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:45 pm

bphelps56 wrote:Arkat brand Hunter's Edge is a good choice if it is available in your area. It is a chicken meal based food with 24% protein and 18% fat. It usually sells for a little less than $20.00 for a 50 lb.bag.
I have been feeding the same to my 8 1/2 mos old Llewellin pup for the past several months. He is doing great, coat looks fine, and stools are acceptable. Oh, and the little yard dog and the cat eats it also.
big steve

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:59 pm

I would have to agree with bphelps and big steve. While I'm usually a Eukanuba or Native guy, know many people, including professional trainers that use Arkat. Check the web site and see which formula might be best for you..Would have to guess..Hunters Edge is what you are looking for..Hope this helps. There are many good feeds available..Just find one that works best for your dog!..Others speak highly of Exceed available at Sam's Club, Diamond or Exclusive (sold at feed stores but a few more $$$)

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:26 pm

My pup did not do well on Diamond Naturals, I have been feeding Sportmix in the blue bag for about the last six weeks. Stools seam pretty good and she likes it. The problem I have with it is she is always hungry, currently I'm feeding about 4 cups a day to a 40 lbs gsp. I think it's like $24 for 50 lbs.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

gspmo1 wrote:My pup did not do well on Diamond Naturals, I have been feeding Sportmix in the blue bag for about the last six weeks. Stools seam pretty good and she likes it. The problem I have with it is she is always hungry, currently I'm feeding about 4 cups a day to a 40 lbs gsp. I think it's like $24 for 50 lbs.
I think you would have better luck with the black bag, 24/20. Just from my experience.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:37 am

birddogger wrote:
gspmo1 wrote:My pup did not do well on Diamond Naturals, I have been feeding Sportmix in the blue bag for about the last six weeks. Stools seam pretty good and she likes it. The problem I have with it is she is always hungry, currently I'm feeding about 4 cups a day to a 40 lbs gsp. I think it's like $24 for 50 lbs.
I think you would have better luck with the black bag, 24/20. Just from my experience.

Charlie
Thanks for heads up.... I have trying get get the black bag everyone in my area says it's not available, I even contacted Sportmix and they weren't much help.

kumate

Post by kumate » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:39 pm

My local TS has the black bag, i use it for my 2 apbt's and like it.

Jerry